Refelt Help - Table w/ Dealer Tray (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've recovered a handful of tables over the years without any issues, but this week I will be putting SSC on a table that has a dealer tray in it. Can someone shed some light on if I need to approach the refelt differently? My concern is that if I use my traditional approach of going center out, then center out from the diagonally opposite side that I will pull it too taut and then when I cut the spot for the tray, it will distort the rest of the table.

Am I just overthinking this? Can I just use my traditional approach?

^^ This. I pull 'em only to the point of no wrinkles..... but do not actually stretch the fabric.

Tape a piece of cardboard to the underside where the dealer tray hole is, to prevent adhesive spray going where not wanted. Remove the cardboard before laying down the felt, position/center it, and staple. Should be no issue with cutting your X in the tray spot area (from the underside) and then finishing it off.

Thank you for your input, will definitely use this method this go around. Does the same process apply for the surface foam?

Yep. Add cardboard cutout cover, light spray haze, remove cardboard, position foam, let dry, trim edges and cut out tray opening. Then on to the felt steps.

Yep. Add cardboard cutout cover, light spray haze, remove cardboard, position foam, let dry, trim edges and cut out tray opening. Then on to the felt steps.

I'm in same boat... just to confirm I have it correct (apologies if you've already made it clear, I'm just a moron when it comes to stuff like this):

I want to use adhesive to attach foam to table. Then hit the top of the foam with adhesive again, and lay my SSC on top and smooth out... Then finish with stables. Do I have that correct?

Do I need to worry about the the cloth sticking too firmly before I get it in position? And/or bleed through? Thanks all!

PS And the general consensus on the adhesive is 3M77 is the way to go?

I like 3M77 -- 3M90 is also good but more expensive and overkill in most cases. I've had mixed results with other (cheaper) sprays, and just don't mess with them anymore. A very light hazing is all that is needed -- you don't want pools of the stuff (hence, never any bleed-through or soak-through issues if done properly).

Best to get that cloth in best possible position with minimum adjustment needed. Use two people if necessary. It won't dry too quickly, but don't lollygag about getting it in place, either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom