Redbelly's New Man Cave (Bourbon Shelf)! Artistic input needed... (1 Viewer)

Redbelly

Flush
Reaction score
I would like to ask for some ideas on how to paint this B737 wingtip I have acquired...[emoji41]

I envision it as a shelf in the bar area... will be wired to illuminate the nav lights...
I may have "Redbelly's" painted on the flat area near the trailing edge of the wing... other than that the colors are grey, red, white, black... (Any combination of those)
Disregard the yellow tape.
Stripe lining ideas is what I need help with... Other than the small Redbelly's name I'll leave it to solid colors.

Ideas welcome![emoji41]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444324045.528887.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444324061.329941.jpg

Nice get. I'm assuming it was tossed to install winglets? Here's a view of a different one on the wall (might help visualize the entire shape). Solid red on the lower surface with some stripes up top seems interesting:

renton-boeing-737-southwest-wingtip-1_27588.jpg

It doesn't look flat enough to work as a shelf, but it might work as a support for a glass shelf (with a little help).

Sorry that I don't have any ideas for painting it (adding "Redbelly" is a given), but I'm in a bizarre mood today, so fwiw, . .

Suspend it from ceiling with the wide end up against an exterior wall. Paint the wall to look like the wing tip crashed into the room.

Stand it on end for another bad-ass trophy. :)

Fireplace mantle.

Nice acquisition!

Nice get. I'm assuming it was tossed to install winglets? Here's a view of a different one on the wall (might help visualize the entire shape). Solid red on the lower surface with some stripes up top seems interesting:

renton-boeing-737-southwest-wingtip-1_27588.jpg
Is that the one hanging in the Renton plant? If so, that's where I got the idea when I toured it![emoji41]

It doesn't look flat enough to work as a shelf, but it might work as a support for a glass shelf (with a little help).

Sorry that I don't have any ideas for painting it (adding "Redbelly" is a given), but I'm in a bizarre mood today, so fwiw, . .

Suspend it from ceiling with the wide end up against an exterior wall. Paint the wall to look like the wing tip crashed into the room.

Stand it on end for another bad-ass trophy. :)

Fireplace mantle.

Nice acquisition!
Thank you Marsha! Some nice ideas!

I'm with abby99 here. I just don't see a shelf. What I might see is a wall mounted adjustable tournament monitor "case". Cut out a rectangular hole and mount a monitor in there. It's hard for me to get a real feel for the wingtip with the photos given.

Is that the one hanging in the Renton plant? If so, that's where I got the idea when I toured it![emoji41]

Seems to be. I found it with a quick google search. Glass shelf seems like a good idea to me, too.

It looks like it would have enough flat surface area to put drinks and snack bowls on. I have a bigger concern about actually mounting it to the wall or creating any sort of base that would look reasonable. To me it would have to be some counter balanced aluminum (or other metal) piece, wood would look out of place. Again not sure of what the structure behind the wall would be like to support the weight. Again I have no clue how heavy it is, just assume it's not light. Have you tried to put glasses or bowls on it for stability testing, that seems to be a general concern.

My thought right now and I'm not sure of the possibility of obtaining a matching one but if you could using the two as the arms to a lounge chair would be pretty killer, imo. Plus then you could hide the wood with the blue and brown leather (vinyl). I mean it would have to be done first class, right.

It looks like it would have enough flat surface area to put drinks and snack bowls on. I have a bigger concern about actually mounting it to the wall or creating any sort of base that would look reasonable. To me it would have to be some counter balanced aluminum (or other metal) piece, wood would look out of place. Again not sure of what the structure behind the wall would be like to support the weight. Again I have no clue how heavy it is, just assume it's not light. Have you tried to put glasses or bowls on it for stability testing, that seems to be a general concern.

My thought right now and I'm not sure of the possibility of obtaining a matching one but if you could using the two as the arms to a lounge chair would be pretty killer, imo. Plus then you could hide the wood with the blue and brown leather (vinyl). I mean it would have to be done first class, right.

I'm assuming it's light enough, if you can get some lag screws into studs. Non-structural aircraft parts are generally as light as possible. Coming up with two or three metal supports to hold the edge of the glass away from the wall will be an interesting task.

You wouldn't want clashing colors, so I would need to see the room as well. I'll be at BNA waiting for pick-up.

It's heavy... and mounting will be an issue but safe to say it has to be mounted into studs.

No to 2 and that would be a HUGE chair![emoji41]

I'm using Redbelly colors but also have the option of current livery colors... I'm not concerned about the clashing effect... it will be fine.[emoji41]

I'm on the road but will get measurements and weight later tonight.

Really need thoughts on striping... Wife thought that the lower underneath would be great just red then a grey stripe with black on top? Not sure of the possible placements of the stripes.

Mounting in Man Cave is still a couple of years out...[emoji22]

This would make a cool light hung above your table with spot lights shining from the bottom and Redbelly written down both sides. Assuming that your ceiling is high enough.

I think everybody takes the occasional item home from work but this has me a bit concerned :eek:;)

Some sort of partition? I don't think you have multiple urinals so that's out.
I am still thinking of some sort of floor mounting almost like an end cap to a peninsula in a kitchen area. My concern is still the weight, so if you can have it on the floor somehow would be much safer. But I'll hold off until we get the specs.

Stand it on end and make it into a floor lamp. ;)

As for colors, I like the the Zombie's suggestion to copy the current wing tip colors (current or nostalgic) but with Redbelly instead of Southwest.

Initial thoughts: Match the wingtips, replace Southwest with RedBelly.
1054634.jpg
This is a wing tip from a "straight" wing and not the one you referenced in the picture... They are HUGE![emoji41]

I'm pretty set on mounting it horizontally and not worried about the weight... If necessary I can reinforce the area...

The idea to place anything on it was just an idea but it can certainly stand alone.

I think I'm going to buy some blue/yellow masking tape and play with some lines running from the red nav light to aft white lights.

The idea of it as a partition was interesting but I couldn't bring myself to put it in a bathroom... [emoji15][emoji41]

Bring it to Atlanta next spring; let's debate, design, and dream something up over some Kentucky bourbon... It's win-win!!!

I like the idea of mounting it horizontally, then adding some custom acrylic shelves around it (tiered). You could add LED lighting to make the acrylic glow.

Here's what I'm talking about by tiered... But obv it'd have to be formed around the curve of the wing-tip

4_tier_display1__75709.1394580977.1280.960.jpg

I'd put chips on that instead. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom