Recommendations for Steam Games? UPDATE - SplitScreen Games? (1 Viewer)

BarrieJ3

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of time for games these days, but occasionally run in to downtime. This doesn't allow for anything competitive, or I'd finally finish 10th prestige on CoD.

Really just looking for well made time killers, towards the hack n slash/upgrades/RPG varieties. Haven't spent time on a computer (this will just be me in bed or on the couch on the laptop) since Starcraft/Warcraft/original DOTA. Some old school titles that fondly come to mind:

Fable (albeit console)
Diablo II
Metal Gear Solid (albeit console)
Skyrim
Even Roller Coaster Tycoon

Given above info, any game suggestions that fit this window?

Half-life games are free right now on Steam...
Shoot, must be a US thing. Not showing here, but it does show Publisher weekend for Square Enix.
Slay the Spire

You're welcome.
I'm already a fan from the description. Looks like a cool rouge/RPG type, but damn, I struggle to pay $25 for a deck builder. Eh, here goes nothing!

Shoot, must be a US thing. Not showing here, but it does show Publisher weekend for Square Enix.

I'm already a fan from the description. Looks like a cool rouge/RPG type, but damn, I struggle to pay $25 for a deck builder. Eh, here goes nothing!
It's really worth it. I promise. I've dropped over 200 hours into it. Been playing since early access.

Do you like turn-based? I'm into Civ and XCom.
Love RTS, would like to get a bit more into turn based, but looking for something semi light for this go round.
It's really worth it. I promise. I've dropped over 200 hours into it. Been playing since early access.
Already playing. Will be interesting to see if/how it opens up.

Hollow Knight is probably one of my favorite indie games ever made. It’s a Metroid-vania that’s brutally unforgiving but super satisfying when you get used to the mechanics and git gud. Might not fit the bill of your list, but I feel like we got similar taste in games. On sale often for sub $10.

Also if you were a D2 fanatic like I was, path of exile is free and is the community agreed upon successor to the franchise.

And +1 for slay the spire recos.

Hollow Knight is probably one of my favorite indie games ever made. It’s a Metroid-vania that’s brutally unforgiving but super satisfying when you get used to the mechanics and git gud. Might not fit the bill of your list, but I feel like we got similar taste in games. On sale often for sub $10.

Also if you were a D2 fanatic like I was, path of exile is free and is the community agreed upon successor to the franchise.

+1 for Hollow Knight. Probably best Metroidvania since symphony of the night.

Slay the Spire is in a Humble Bundle deal right now:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...e_twos_tile_index_1_c_digitaltabletop2_bundle

I bought it but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Arrghhhh needed that info awhile ago.

Made it through hollow knight, picked it up cause it was cheap.

I do enjoy Spire. Was a bit sad to make it through the first two times and find it only 3 levels deep, but I see the increasing difficulty.

Feels a little grindy early on when each run is a win but doesn’t unlock much. Nice time killer though, hits the spot.

Have you played hyper light drifter? Not as immersive as HK but hit that run-and-gun/progression/Zelda-esque spot for me. Has a cool retro vibe and the art/music was awesome

Have you played hyper light drifter? Not as immersive as HK but hit that run-and-gun/progression/Zelda-esque spot for me. Has a cool retro vibe and the art/music was awesome
Hasn’t even heard of it. Will give it a look. Man I love when I get something out of this site that’s not poker chips. It’s better then sifting through online articles or reddit.

Thanks y’all!

Ori and the Blind Forrest is a sweet platformer. Torchlight2 is an ok Diablo clone, They encourage mods so plenty of variety as well.

CS:GO
Borderlands 3 coming soon
Borderlands 2
Subnautica
Factoria
Planet Coaster
Cyberpunk 2077 coming soon

Watch trailers or let's play series on YouTube to see if you will like the game. These are top user reviewed games.

FTL

EDIT: old school, not to long a learning curve, surprisingly deep gameplay for the simplicity of it

Last edited:
Sid Meier's Pirates. I found it on sale for $2.50 a while back. It's good for time wasting.

Simple interface. Lots of decisions to be made that make for a variety of gameplay.

Go for an old school ISO top down RPG like Divinity Original Sin 2!! It is a major time suck, but well worth it if you’re into old school, tactical fantasy games.

Steep learning curve depending on which difficulty you set it to but tons of fun

Civ and Railway Empire are my go to time killers.

@Legend5555 enjoyed Spire so far. Maybe I missed it, but little disappointed in the lack of long term effects/differences/rewards/varied gameplay. I got the 4 characters to level 4, releasing new options, and now it's just working through all the levels of increased difficulty.

Would get like a 9/10 for me if they had some sort of skill tree or additional abilities/unlocks.

Forgot about Humble Bundles, randomly purchased one or two years ago just cause they were doing a cool cause.

Said screw it and signed up for the monthly, Kingmaker and Frost Punk are in this month's, so here we go!

Both are hard games starting out. Frostpunk is much less of a time sink, but you'll still want to check out some guides as the difficulty can be rough if you don't build certain things and research certain things within specific times

Kingmaker Pathfinder is a massive time sink, very addicting but also very in-depth with lots of choices for character builds, kingdom management, etc

I finished the game without mods but I'm replaying it now with a number of them

Highly recommend getting at least the Turn-based combat mod for it, far superior to the real time with pause it comes with

Also would recommend Xcom 2 if you haven't played it, a turn-based game where you lead the resistance against alien occupation on earth

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom