Recommendations for board/table games that use chips? (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
I’m renting a small cabin on a fishing lake with family this summer and want to have a night where we get together to play a game that would ideally be a reason for me to bring some chips for use in the game. What games are best for this?

Background:
  • the group consists of: one 3-year old that will likely be in someone's lap helping/playing along, up to five 30-somethings, up to 3 grandparents
  • I am the only known card/games player so I think simpler games are far better than complicated ones
  • I think I would prefer games that use chips as some sort of marker rather than, say, denominated chips that just replace paper notes or plastic tokens
  • I think the chips I would ideally like to use are starbursts - I have one rack each of 8 different colors. I also have several sets in cash and tournament breakdowns if those would be better for a given game.

sequence comes to mind right off the top of my head, but the standard board might be too small for chips - i'm used to playing on the 'jumbo' version with my in-laws and their friends :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

sequence comes to mind right off the top of my head, but the standard board might be too small for chips - i'm used to playing on the 'jumbo' version with my in-laws and their friends :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Is sequence a quick and easy game to teach and play?

1651455512839.png
rummy royal

Is sequence a quick and easy game to teach and play?
You're basically playing connect 5 with poker chips and playing cards. One eyed jacks remove an opponents chip and two eyed jacks can place on any spot. It works with 2, 3, 4, or 6 people. Buy this jumbo matt, add poker chips and two of your favorite plastic card decks and you're set!

Jax Giant (aka Jumbo) SEQUENCE Game - Tube Edition with Cushioned Mat (27" x 32") Cards and Chips, Package Colors May Vary. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000IV4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_66BR4ADBQAR7SQYY1DR4

Mahjong (the proper 4 player versions) can be a gambling game, and often uses poker chips.

I’m renting a small cabin on a fishing lake with family this summer and want to have a night where we get together to play a game that would ideally be a reason for me to bring some chips for use in the game. What games are best for this?

Background:
  • the group consists of: one 3-year old that will likely be in someone's lap helping/playing along, up to five 30-somethings, up to 3 grandparents
  • I am the only known card/games player so I think simpler games are far better than complicated ones
  • I think I would prefer games that use chips as some sort of marker rather than, say, denominated chips that just replace paper notes or plastic tokens
  • I think the chips I would ideally like to use are starbursts - I have one rack each of 8 different colors. I also have several sets in cash and tournament breakdowns if those would be better for a given game.
A game we play at our home game is called "Screw" Your Neighbor. Of course, our chips have monetary value but they still are markers for the players "lives". Great game and simple enough for anyone to play!

https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/how-to-play/screw-your-neighbor-game-rules

The only difference we have is Ace I high and safe instead of King.

the horse racing game
This looks like a blast but not sure it’s a fit for this purpose. I don’t think this is a gambling group. Definitely going to keep it in mind for poker nights tho!
Chinese Checkers? You can download a printable layout for it

https://www.printableboardgames.net/preview/Chinese_Checkers
This could work well.
Jax Giant (aka Jumbo) SEQUENCE Game - Tube Edition with Cushioned Mat (27" x 32") Cards and Chips, Package Colors May Vary. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000IV4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_66BR4ADBQAR7SQYY1DR4
^ Great suggestion - giving this strong consideration! Bonus points for using playing cards, too!

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Keep ‘em coming!

This looks like a blast but not sure it’s a fit for this purpose. I don’t think this is a gambling group. Definitely going to keep it in mind for poker nights tho!
I played with the kids- handed out chips without paying for them. They loved it.

What’s a good number of chips per player for Sequence? 20?

@Highli99 @links_slayer
There are 96 spots on the board. In a two person game you have to make 2 sequences. I like to troll my wife by getting out 8 chips and telling her that’s all I need. In reality, since there is a lot of luck involved you need more chips. The average game probably uses 20 for each player but every once in awhile you’ll use about 40. I’ve only played to a draw once.

You can also play with 3 players where 20 each would be plenty.

You can also play in teams (2 or 3 teams of 2). Those games are a lot of fun because you don’t know what your partner is holding unless your my wife and her cheating cousin who always signal each other those cheating bastards.

TLDR, I’d suggest 40 chips per person

If you're looking for a simple game that can use poker chips and is a ton of fun with a bunch of adults on vacation, for the love of God you must try Bourre!

This is less of a use case for poker chips, but you could potentially string multiple games of Long Shot together and use chips to mark total winnings to sort of play a day-at-the-races kind of thing. Say everyone starts with 10k and secretly places bets (bets outside of the game itself) on three horses at the start of a game - if those horses win at the end of the game, you can win / lose chips accordingly. Might be kind of a stretch, but this is a great game for less experienced boardgame groups.

Packed up and ready for vacation! Planning to play sequence for sure, with Settlers of Catan and chess also requested. For chips, I packed 120 starbursts (40x each red, green, blue) and a quick eyeball 240-piece breakdown for 5c/10c in case anyone wants to play some poker!

84E79EB7-AA30-4C17-A527-84FDA55CD625.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom