Tourney Rebuy/forfeit chips (1 Viewer)

Frozi

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'll be having a 2 table tournament in a couple of weeks. Have most of it set, except one final rule.

There will be one rebuy allowed up to the first break which is an hour in.

I'd like to give people with very low chips the options to surrender their stack and rebuy.

Should anyone be allowed to do so, doesn't matter how many chips they have? Or should I set a limit, maybe less than 10 or 20% of starting stack, then you are allowed to rebuy.

Is there a general rule for this sort of thing?

We allow anyone to surrender. Those with big stacks, I tell them their chips have been working hard and are getting tired. They should surrender their tired chips and get a stack of fresh chips. ;)

Our home game ran into this a few weekends ago. I was left with a chip and a chair after an all in. Everyone at the table was unsure if forfeiting my nub in order to rebuy was an option. Host didn't clarify and didn't press it because it was a friendly game. I laughed that it'd be funny if I did get AA. So of course I was dealt QQ next hand :LOL: :laugh: and managed to 5x of my 100 chip.

The tourney is a 2R+1A after 2 blind levels. I was thinking that the only way to avoid this would be to allow players to use their rebuy whenever they wanted, before the rebuy period ends. But I guess allowing players to forfeit whenever, makes it much more simple without changing the dynamic of the game.

Might not want to deal with it in a 2 table tournament, but my STT always has a top up option at the end of the rebuy period. It’s not a rebuy or a surrender it just gets you back to the full rebuy amount at a prorated rate. We’ve done rebuys and some players don’t like the shove fest that happens before the period ends. There’s no incentive to shove wildly with the top up in play. We’ve done surrenders and some players want more chips but don’t feel it’s fair to pay a full buy in when you’re at 2/3 starting stack. We’ve done add ons but it essentially does nothing but double the buy in because everyone takes it and guys don’t like that they’re basically forced to take it since everyone else is. So my solution was the top up and everyone likes it. Our most common game is 3,000 chips with a $30 buy in so it’s pretty simple, $1 per 100 chips you’re adding on. The T25s are still in play so you’re allowed to go over 3,000 but only up to a max of 3,075 depending on how many 25s you happen to have.

We also allow rebuys for the first hour of our tournaments. If players want to surrender their chips and get a fresh stack at the end of the rebuy period that is up to them to make that decision. If they feel like they will benefit from topping off then the prize pool will be happy to grow by one more buy in amount! ; )

I usually do 1 re-buy or surrender at break with an additional add-on at the first break for half the buy-in for slightly more than half the initial chips - that gets the pot swelled up nicely as for rules for surrendering there are none and you can surrender and add-on along with everyone else

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom