Really stupid idea, but I can't shake it (2 Viewers)

SemiNumerical

Straight
Reaction score
Hey all,

For years, I have been dreaming of making/building/ordering a poker table with hole cams.
Now bare with me. Most people will not want to have any possible chance of their hole card being seen, or how they play being discovered.

I just think it would be a super cool project to build one and run a 9 person SNG and then produce a single "episode" of the game. Obviously players would be informed before signing up to the tournament and players could inspect the set up to ensure there is nothing funny going on.

This is a bad idea, I can feel it, really I can. I just want more people to say I am crazy.

If you think it is cool and would be interested in playing such a game, I would love to hear that too.

Love to hear the communities opinion on this?

That sounds pretty cool, but when I think about the editing time required to make an episode it immediately sounds less fun.
It would take some time to edit.

Though there would be an easy way to cut down editing time. Make a note of the time when all the "interesting" hands happened.
That way I wouldn't need to watch 3 hrs * 9 worth of footage.

Would also need to mount an over head cam somehow to get the board as well...

A home game I play in got the chance to be on local TV. It was set up with GoPro cameras. Editing was hell though. It ran for about 10 weeks. It's still in reruns. lol.

That is really cool.

How did that eventuate? Did the tv station approach you ?

The guy who ran the home game, the host of the show, knew a producer who worked for the TV station.

RFID table. There's a link somewhere. Looks like a sweet idea but spendy.

I've been waiting years for someone to order and RFID table.

GoPro's are an interesting approach. They're small enough to just sit on the table in front of the rail.

I like the idea.

My question is: What are you doing with the video? Just watching it and enjoy all great moments or for study reason or....

[QUOTE='Though there would be an easy way to cut down editing time. Make a note of the time when all the "interesting" hands happened.
That way I wouldn't need to watch 3 hrs * 9 worth of footage.'[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the interesting hands are interesting because you know the hole cards - hero lay downs and such. They wouldn't appear interesting in real time to the players who don't know the cards being folded.

JT

I would never want my play exposed unless it was part of a game that was televised...meaning I was somehow playing with pros or famous people...and also means I would be in the WSOP main Event or advanced to some final table and would be making several thousand dollars. Then I wouldn't be too worries about my local donkeys figuring out what I muck.

...but when @bergs mentioned in a thread long ago that it would be cool to give live commentary for a tape...I'd be down for that. Can't imagine anything on Earth could be more funny than listening to him rip our play apart.

RFID table. There's a link somewhere. Looks like a sweet idea but spendy.

The RFID looks very slick. Seems like it eliminates a lot of human error.

The RFID looks very slick. Seems like it eliminates a lot of human error.

I've been watching Stones live poker on Twitch lately, and I believe they use RFID on their main table. It works very well. Very rarely does the table fail to get all of the players hands.

Crazy idea. Cool, but crazy. Crazy 'spensive. Crazy time consuming. Idea is cool, but I'd wonder in the end, if the effort/expense would be worth the final product. ...Akin to the graveyard of exercise machines that were amazing ideas to start with, but now act as glorified coat hangers.

Think poker analysis combined with insults from the the two old guys that sat up in the theater in the Muppets. That's what I'd bring to the table.

If we can get all the PCF meet ups set up with RFID tables. I can commit $6.99 per month to watch them online with Bergs commentary. Snap fold my pandora account in place of this.

Lets crowd fund this debacle!!

Crazy idea. Cool, but crazy. Crazy 'spensive. Crazy time consuming. Idea is cool, but I'd wonder in the end, if the effort/expense would be worth the final product. ...Akin to the graveyard of exercise machines that were amazing ideas to start with, but now act as glorified coat hangers.

Dream squasher!

If this can be accomplished with GoPros, you can easily knock the price down by a third by getting SJCams, which are evidently similar quality kind of a GoPro knock off. You can get them for $80 each, even less some times. Concerns would be the amount of storage but they can use cards up to 32gb which is plenty. Since it's hole card cams, it wouldn't have to be in 1080p. There's also the battery. I think you generally only get a maybe 3 hours out of each battery so there's that.

One of these for each player then a couple camcorders, some mics, some lighting, editing software, knowledge of said software and you're laughing.

To add to this idea, if you had sufficient space, after you build this crazyness, you could rent this table (under your supervision) offering to film and edit people's home games for a fee. Not sure if people would pay for this service considering the time and investment it would take.

Last edited:
If we can get all the PCF meet ups set up with RFID tables. I can commit $6.99 per month to watch them online with Bergs commentary. Snap fold my pandora account in place of this.

Lets crowd fund this debacle!!

I toyed with the idea of having a live camera feed overhead at the MTTD. However, I wasn't able to figure out a viable way of doing it. I'm sure the tech exists, but it needs to be plug n play IMHO before I implement it.

I toyed with the idea of having a live camera feed overhead at the MTTD. However, I wasn't able to figure out a viable way of doing it. I'm sure the tech exists, but it needs to be plug n play IMHO before I implement it.

Well the RFID eliminates any lighting/ camera quality issues. Or hoping players remember to show the hole cam their cards.
Watching a game is ok but not sure it would hold my interest if you couldn't see the hole cards.

League that I have played in has RFID tables that he built and every now and then he streams the game online via twitch

APL.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom