Really cool custom chip case (maybe) (1 Viewer)

CO0LHand

Pair
Reaction score
So I ran into a friend who has a really nice custom tool chest. I had seen the thing before but never really taken a look at how well it is made and how neat it is. It looks like this:

9185322_1_l.jpg

I researched the company, Gerstner & Sons, and contacted them to ask if they could change the drawer sizes to 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" deep on the inside and they said they could. They said that the chests, as designed, might not fit 4 drawers but that they could do a custom chest to fit any size drawers someone would want. My question to you folks is how big is a stack of say, 10 CPC chips? They have a larger chest that runs around $1200. That is the size chest my friend has and it really is a stunning example of hand-craftsmanship, I love the upper area to fill with cards, dealer buttons, etc, they also sell a slightly smaller version for $600. I want to get the dimensions of the chips (in inches, these guys work in the USA) in order to see how many would fit in the chests they already make or to see how big a custom sized chest would have to be.

What do you guys think would be a good size for the drawers for a custom case? 250 chips? 300? Would anyone else be interested in something like this or am I just alone in wanting a really nice travel case?

Here are some more pix of them:

Here is the larger version:

go92xl-prop-500x500.jpg

And this is the smaller version:

go41a_lg.jpg

Here's the company website: http://gerstnerusa.com/opencart/

Attachments

• w38_open_rt-500x500.jpg
    w38_open_rt-500x500.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 418
I've always love Gerstner chests. My dad was a Tool & Die Maker by trade, and had some beautiful chests and tools.

I've pored over the Gerstner line, but couldn't work it out - but I never talked to them about customs. I'd love if it could be worked out.

I don't think stacks in drawers is a good idea; the chips would shift in travel, would be difficult to pick up, and you wouldn't see dirty stacks from the top. (Dirty stack = mixed denoms.)

The Gerstner sizes are not good for standard racks; chips in standard racks stand about 2 1/4" tall, so the drawers are not tall enough, and the length/widths don't allow for many to fit in a drawer.

The new Brut chip racks might work a lot better, since they're barely taller than a chip. A 1 3/4" drawer height might work with one, but you'd have to find measurements that get several racks to fit will in the drawer.

The alternative is to just use a drawer tall enough for a 39mm chip, and to glue in wooden dividers to form the drawer into a big chip tray. I lean towards during the drawers into chip trays that can be removed during initial buy-ins.

I'd also want a good compartment up top to serve as a cash box, too. I'd pick a chest size good for at least 500 chips - preferably 750 or 1000. Personally, I'll be fine with the weight, but a lot of people wouldn't, so a 500 or 600 chip chest is probably better. Remember, these chests will be heavier than typical chip cases, plus you have the weight of the chips!

But yeah, I'm totally a fan. If I had big chip collection and a permanent home, I'd totally love to have a Gertner multi-drawer base with chip-rack drawers, and my Gerstner travel chest on top. Or perhaps their Gerstner display table with chip-rack drawers.

Here's the display table in cherry, with a travel chest on top:

c100b_closed_rt-500x500.jpg

I've always love Gerstner chests. My dad was a Tool & Die Maker by trade, and had some beautiful chests and tools.

I've pored over the Gerstner line, but couldn't work it out - but I never talked to them about customs. I'd love if it could be worked out.

I don't think stacks in drawers is a good idea; the chips would shift in travel, would be difficult to pick up, and you wouldn't see dirty stacks from the top. (Dirty stack = mixed denoms.)

The Gerstner sizes are not good for standard racks; chips in standard racks stand about 2 1/4" tall, so the drawers are not tall enough, and the length/widths don't allow for many to fit in a drawer.

The new Brut chip racks might work a lot better, since they're barely taller than a chip. A 1 3/4" drawer height might work with one, but you'd have to find measurements that get several racks to fit will in the drawer.

The alternative is to just use a drawer tall enough for a 39mm chip, and to glue in wooden dividers to form the drawer into a big chip tray. I lean towards during the drawers into chip trays that can be removed during initial buy-ins.

Yea see I am thinking of seeing how much a custom chest that fits say... 3 of those Brut chip racks in each drawer with 3 or 4 drawers would run. I also really like the chest with the top area to store cash, cards, dealer buttons, card guards, etc in. I don't think having the chips resting IN the drawers is a great idea as racks are already around to hold them and it's more useful to be able to take those out and switch em around easily. I will try to delve a little deeper into this. Who sells those Brut racks anyway? The only place I have seen them is on this site!

I have touched base to see what a rough estimate would be to make a chest with either 2 or 4 drawers holding 300 chips a drawer in those Brut racks would be. He has said he will talk to the fellows who actually make the chests to get a ballpark figure. Would be cool if this worked out, it really would be a stellar traveling chip case and they aren't actually that heavy empty. Not as light as a cheapo aluminum case or an acrylic birdcage but having a place to carry the cards, dealer buttons, and store money would be really neat I think.

I used to have a machinist tool chest very similar to those ones but it was made so it could hold wooden chip racks in it. Tommy sold it to me and then I ended up selling it on here to someone. I'm sure I could find some pictures in an old classified ad. I'll see what I can find.

Edit:

Here's a link to my thread with pictures of it. It held 2200 chips. If you need ideas for how to make yours feel free to send your guy the pictures.
http://www.pokerchipforum.com/showthread.php/1708-2200-Chip-Oak-Chest

Yea that's pretty much exactly what they would be making. What is the size of those chip racks and where did they come from? If this guy makes one I wouldn't mind it being able to fit a couple different kinds of racks although those might make it a little heavy. Do you remember how much that thing weighs empty and full by any chance?

Tommy got it from a guy off eBay that I believe had made a couple of them (Correct me if I'm remembering that wrong Tommy).

As far as rack size they could fit 25 CC per row so 100 per rack or if you had Paulsons they would fit like 27 I think it was per row.

With that thing fully loaded with 2200 chips it was pretty darn heavy. I think empty it was at least 30-40 pounds but I could be wrong, its been awhile since I had it. Figure 10 grams X 2200 chips plus the 30-40 pounds it weights empty would be around 80 to 90 pounds.

Just getting a picture in here of Cheese's old Tom's old chest for convenience in this thread:

Untitled.jpg

(Follow Mr. Cheese's link for better, full-size pics.)

Oh and I almost forgot, Bubble's bought this thread so you could ask him for more detailed pics or measurements if you want.

Tommy got it from a guy off eBay that I believe had made a couple of them (Correct me if I'm remembering that wrong Tommy).

He bought two of them before they were discontinued. Sold one a long time ago and I bought the last one he sold.

Oh and I almost forgot, Bubble's bought this thread so you could ask him for more detailed pics or measurements if you want.

We are selling threads here now? :cool:

The thread is probably a lot cheaper than the chest would be. That's a good cost for that chest. My guess is that the one I am reaching out to Gerstner & Sons about is going to run $800+ best guess.

I am trying to see what the cost is for them to customize this chest:

go41d_open_rt-500x500.jpg

So that it would have two drawers that are 2-1/4" high and deep enough to hold a standard 100 chip rack. They would stack up in there fitting 6 of them on a level making room for 1200 chips. There would also be either one long thin drawer above those two others that would be 1-1/4 high, enough for naked decks of cards or card protectors/spare chips/etc. This on top of the really nifty opening top that is perfect for storing buy-ins and card decks in cases.

It's pricey for sure but for those 'special' sets I just wanted to touch base to see what it would cost.

So I sent Gerstner & Sons the dimensions to make a chest that is about this size:

c41d.jpg

But instead of having so many drawers it would only have two large drawers in the bottom that would hold 1200 chips and three small drawers above those two or one skinny drawer above the two large drawers.

The downside.... their estimated cost to make these would be $1000-1200 for a custom chest.

Would be cool though. I might have to keep talking to see what other options we could come up with.

<=== shocked nobody has posted sarge pics yet itt....

I would think a duplicate of the one I have could be made for a lot cheaper I could make an inquiry at the local wood shop if you would like

I'm certain mine hold more than 2200 and like mr cheese said it's very heavy

Yea, I am wondering if I can buy a used version of this chest and re-work it to fit chips. Anyone know a really good wood shop around where they live? I live in NYC and the cost would be...... prohibitive to do it here. If we can find someone who can resize drawers you could put custom chip racks in there.

Unfortunately the whole thing looks like I am tilting at windmills right now. Might have to just put this on the backburner for as many years as it takes me to get a table saw and a wood shop.

Drawer storage in Sarge, Seville Ultra HD 6 Drawer Rolling cart.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422694234670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422694234670.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 222
Just getting a picture in here of Cheese's old Tom's old chest for convenience in this thread:

View attachment 5629

(Follow Mr. Cheese's link for better, full-size pics.)
Used to be sold by "BrandsOnSale" eBay seller. I have a couple and they are great for taking large set on the road. Heavier than hell. The configuration for the wood racks that are 4x25 doesn't fit the normal acrylic racks is a little of a design flaw. The wood racks don't fit most chips snugly and the chips tend to flop around and come out if you're not careful.

I posted in another thread here with a similar topic but here it is again....

Coolhand...the case you are looking to duplicate is the now discontinued "American Oak Poker Chip Chest". It was sold exclusively by Brands for Sale back in 2010 or so. I have one if you would like pictures but if you google search for it or look over at "the other site" someone mentioned in the review thread that they know where to get the plans for it if you know a good woodworker.

If you are able to find someone willing to make more please let me know, I could use a couple more. :)

I've been thinking about building a chest this summer and await my dovetail jig in AZ. Just a simple box that will hold 2000 chips 5 racks stacked 4 high. I'll cut the pieces and then put the sides in a suitcase, assemble in Saudi. I might smuggle in the wood from Saudi. Imported rosewood here is cheap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom