Rate this inlay - Motswari Lodge (2 Viewers)

Rate this inlay on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the best

• Total voters

Perthmike

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Seeing as others are, and these polls are fun, I figured I'd jump in too.
Screenshot_20200616_123108.jpg

I'll have to think about it. I'm leaning towards a 4. The problem is, i consider mike a good friend. I'm a sucker for a good story behind a design. I'm afraid that my vote will be biased.

After seeing the hundo in person I’m a believer. Maybe a tad busy from what I’d normally like, but I’m not even sure how/if I’d change anything.

Excellent and well-inspired concept, with too much detail, though, for the inevitable size of a chip inlay.
Animals are at least recognisable on the 5, 20 and 100; not really on the frac or the 1.

When personal custom sets are listed by the owners for rating, it's always difficult for me. We're talking about inlays/labels created by legendary designers that hold a special place in the hearts of the owners. On top of that, base/spot patterns and colors have been carefully designed by chip hobbyists who generally understand the importance of spot progression.

That being said...fuck this safari shit. I give it a -6. You may want to add that to your poll.

:p I give it a 4. Really classy.

When personal custom sets are listed by the owners for rating, it's always difficult for me. We're talking about inlays/labels created by legendary designers that hold a special place in the hearts of the owners. On top of that, base/spot patterns and colors have been carefully designed by chip hobbyists who generally understand the importance of spot progression.

That being said...fuck this safari shit. I give it a -6. You may want to add that to your poll.

:p I give it a 4. Really classy.

Don't ask if you don't want the truth right? Were not talking edge spot progression, just the inlay

300 "Rate This Inlay", and this is the first that has unique inlays?

We talk class, use of space, visibility/readability, imagery, etc.

I think I’ve been a little too loose with my votes so far, but goodness it’s difficult not to give an automatic 5 to something like this that actually reaches or aspires to be something greater then a plain word/imagine/denom.

Unique inlays, color matched gradients, denoms stand out, and knowing nothing about the background, it tells a story (one of very, very few that try, and even less that are this successful). I’d have to say a hard 4 minimum for me. If we’re taking into account the why behind the chips, easy 6. When I can't possibly see a way to go less then a 4 (even if you don't like "busy" or story driven concepts), I have to go 5.

motswari.gif

Last edited:
Too cartoony. Gimmicky edge spots in the theme of the animal on the chip. Wildly inconsistent sizing of the animal (need banana for scale). Overall looks like something a teenage girl that’s failing art would draw on her math binder.
YMMV though.

Last edited:
Too cartoony. Gimmicky edge spots in the theme of the animal on the chip. Wildly inconsistent sizing of the animal (need banana for scale). Overall looks like something a teenage girl that’s failing are would draw on her math binder.
YMMV though.
Screenshot_20200716_095839.jpg

Too cartoony. Gimmicky edge spots in the theme of the animal on the chip. Wildly inconsistent sizing of the animal (need banana for scale). Overall looks like something a teenage girl that’s failing are would draw on her math binder.
YMMV though.
Oof. I'm with ya, everyone gets an opinion. Just judging the inlay for thread purposes though, not edge spots.

I'll give you that the animal size is not to scale, but then you could never have a chip with two images that weren't identical sizes? No more venue inlays, no more landmarks, no golf balls or flags on a course, no more bourbons, animals, headliners, ships, skulls, dollars, etc. juxtaposed with dice/chips/cards/etc (those first things are very different sizes then those second things).

Neither of the above are really subjective at all, they're just basic design elements that you literally need to complete a very large percentage of all chip inlays out there that have any pictures or subject matter.

The cartoony/teenage girl drawing I disagree with but at least this part is subjective and can be lauded or critiqued. I always thought cartoony meant colorful, zany, artistic license, etc., but if someone thinks that a simple shadow of an animal is cartoony, more power to em. I just sure hope you don't see an inlay like The Dunes, because you're gonna think that trash is straight out of a comic book then.

edit: I have no problem with giving someone a 1. I'm actually super supportive of you, because I love the description and don't think enough people support their vote so that we can all understand and discuss (quite a few have opened my eyes). But yeah, I think in chip to chip comparison, it doesn't hold much weight. What you dislike about this chip pretty much makes any worthwhile chip design a "1", leaving nothing but the words XYZ Poker Room and a denom on an acceptable inlay (which totally may be your opinion, and I could see that holding up from a classy/classical less is more approach, but have trouble with everything else being trash).

I did post that and I meant it, but there's a way of being constructive and honest without being just plain rude.

And for the record I did fail art. Badly.

I do acknowledge the sizing issue on the frac, and to a lesser extent the $1 though. I felt that I had to size them up, otherwise they'd have been impossible to see

No criticism Mike! 5 all day sir! I think you did a fantastic job with these. I have seen them in person and hope to own samples some day! Very unique, you know the Motswari chips when a bunch of CPCs are laid out in the table!!

Hell would be honored to play them at a meet up if you make it back to the states some time!!

Fellow chipper Ben

You can’t please everyone. All I know is that I like looking at these chips more than many others. What one person sees as cartoony and drawn by a teenage girl, others like me see as cool and artistic. I do get the comparison of Mike to a teenage (redheaded) girl though.

At the risk of looking like a salty bitch, I would like to clarify that criticism is welcomed, as long as it's friendly. Unless you are a friend, in which case you can be more aggresive with your criticism lol.

Unless you call my brown (and slightly grey in patches) locks ginger. In which case you get this
Screenshot_20200716_105942.jpg

I'm voting ZERO for all inlays submitted by their owner in a pathetic attempt to bolster their insecurities.
Voted, based on above sentiments -- thanks for making the category available, Mike.

These inlays are split-color (ala Outpost), have white denominations, use FOUR different fonts (really?), and have silhouettes that are way too hard to discern. They also contain images that are repeated across multiple inlays (yet not ALL inlays), as if the artist simply ran out of tree ideas. You'd think that five strikes would be enough for them to never make actual production. o_O

As stand-alone inlays, I give 'em an 8 on a 10-scale. When considering the color-matching aspects and chip color/spot configurations, they bump to a solid 9 among custom chips. Probably could have made 10 had the Paulson color palette been available, and had the denomination font been better matched to the theme.

Voted, based on above sentiments -- thanks for making the category available, Mike.

These inlays are split-color (ala Outpost), have white denominations, use FOUR different fonts (really?), and have silhouettes that are way too hard to discern. They also contain images that are repeated across multiple inlays (yet not ALL inlays), as if the artist simply ran out of tree ideas. You'd think that five strikes would be enough for them to never make actual production. o_O

As stand-alone inlays, I give 'em an 8 on a 10-scale. When considering the color-matching aspects and chip color/spot configurations, they bump to a solid 9 among custom chips. Probably could have made 10 had the Paulson color palette been available, and had the denomination font been better matched to the theme.
I've also placed my more embarrassing set up for votes if that changes your view. Those are getting hammered lol

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah - Wait. Oh Shit. Yeah what in the living fu*k Mike, why do the $20 and $100 have the exact same tree?!? Ffs, now you have to order more (new) labels. Please send me the additional chip or inlay when they come in, thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom