RainmanTrail

Straight Flush
Reaction score
1594400761552.png

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rate it how? Are we comparing it? Do we like it? I don't understand the question.

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I couldn’t give it a 5 because it has no color. And it’s definitely a classic and I’m really not bashing it, but looking at it critically, it looks like somebody drew it on a napkin during a conference call, it’s hard to read, and I’ve never understood what’s going on with the M. I had to give it a 3.

BarrieJ3

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I couldn’t give it a 5 because it has no color. And it’s definitely a classic and I’m really not bashing it, but looking at it critically, it looks like somebody drew it on a napkin during a conference call, it’s hard to read, and I’ve never understood what’s going on with the M. I had to give it a 3.
Even as a newb, I know classically and historically it’s a 5. But we’re being asked to judge the inlay simply on aesthetics?

Love the creative/quirkiness of the M, but if you show this chip to non poker folks, do they even know what that is?

Add 4 different fonts, no color, and a solid, thick white outer ring, and I’m not sure how this is all 4s and 5s. After seeing the critical comments on other chips but this scoring so well, I’d say this is a great example of us judging the inlays with respect to the chips as a whole, history, edge spots, etc.

chipsncoffee

Two Pair
Reaction score
While I understand that Mapes' chips are iconic and highly sought after, I'm just not crazy about the inlay art alone. I'm not even a fan of the small crown mold.

Forgive me. I'm still new here. :bag:

AWenger

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do black and white photos/graphics always score lower than color ones. Not necessarily. Solid 4.

What I like about this is a good use of the thicker white outer ring giving contrast to the inner white-on-black graphics & font, the M in the Hotel logo/font is a little hard to make out, but that was the hotel logo (the M, if I'm not mistaken, is made up of chaps/pants of 2 cowboys standing side by side), use of a nice, unique larger font for the denom, and a handwritten city & state around the edge. The addition of a few stars in the sky add a nice touch without being over the top or too cluttered.

Frogzilla

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised this inlay got rated so well. The chips are buttery awesome TRK. The yellow $1 is absolutely fantastic with the 4 spot colors. The trimoons on the other denoms are very well done. Amazing, superb vintage TRK. But the inlay...the inlay kind of sucks

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Do black and white photos/graphics always score lower than color ones.
Do you know anybody who still watches a black and white TV? Is anybody manufacturing black and white computer displays? Does iPhone make a black and white model?
No.
Because color is better and everybody knows it.

Coyote

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's color on the chip and its edge spots, why not keep the inlay sober, and, if possible, classic and classy?
The Mapes, actually, cannot rank as classy, because of the fonts and all, but being simple, color-wise, they could apply for classic.

AfterTheFact

Full House
Reaction score
Do you know anybody who still watches a black and white TV? Is anybody manufacturing black and white computer displays? Does iPhone make a black and white model?
No.
Because color is better and everybody knows it.

it was the 60’s so everyone had black and white TV’s;)

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's color on the chip and its edge spots, why not keep the inlay sober, and, if possible, classic and classy?
That's been tried, and it usually gets crucified by the masses (Aria, Bellagio, Aurora Star, etc.).

But Mapes typically gets a pass. I've never figured it out.

JeepologyOffroad

Straight Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mapes, actually, cannot rank as classy, because of the fonts and all, but being simple, color-wise, they could apply for classic.
I agree. Let the chips do the talking. Unless the chips can’t stand on their own then spruce up that inlay with more color.

RainmanTrail

Straight Flush
Reaction score
All jokes aside, I prefer when the inlay takes a back seat, and quietly compliments the chip, allowing the clay to stand out. I love simple inlays like Mapes, Nevada Lodge, and even ESPTs. All those sets are considered grail sets by most, and all would lose a step if they had some fancy full colored inlay. That's why I made my Cali Rounders set with a simple black & white inlay. It goes great with bright and bold colors that are well designed across the set, allowing the chips to shine. If the inlay gets too busy, or if it's full colored, it just takes away far too much from the chip for me. I want simple, clean, elegant inlays with easy to read denoms. Almost always.

Last edited:

JeepologyOffroad

Straight Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All jokes aside, I prefer when the inlay takes a back seat, and quietly compliments the chip, allowing the clay to stand out. I love simple inlays like Mapes, Nevada Lodge, and even ESPTs. All those sets are considered grail sets by most, and all would lose a step if they had some fancy full colored inlay. That's why I made my Cali Rounders set with a simple black & white inlay. It goes great with bright and bold colors that are well designed across the set, allowing the chips to shine. If the inlay gets too busy, or if it's full colored, it just takes away far too much from the chip for me. I want simple, clean, elegant inlays. Almost always.
1594537684006.gif

natumes

Flush
Reaction score
I dislike the white ring and prefer to see the denom colored to stand out

Top Bottom