Rangefinder (1 Viewer)

Meddler2

Full House
Reaction score
I recently picked up the Bushnell Edge rangefinder for disc golf. It shows straight sight distance, and vertical elevation. Manual sorta useless but has this one diagram which doesn't make sense to me. Hoping there's some fellow golfers that might shed some light.

Is this trying to say that the hole plays like it's 900ft due to it's vertical height of 35ft? That's almost 3x longer than the straight 312ft distance.

The general rule of thumb is to add 3ft for every 1 ft of vertical height. So that would add 105ft (3 x 35) and make the hole plays closer to 417ft; not 900.

Screenshot_20230225-175755~3.png

I don’t know if it’s legal in disc golf, but Bushnell does make rangefinders with built in slope calculators for this very scenario.

Quite confusing. Doesn't make any sense to me either.. I was thinking bout picking up one of these range finders (I'm also a disc golfer!)

On the bushnell website, their listing has the two graphics separated, so, I think PGA PRO is right - it's saying it has a 900ft total range, and the ability to also give you elevation change info as well.

1677513126620.png

I don’t know if it’s legal in disc golf, but Bushnell does make rangefinders with built in slope calculators for this very scenario.
Yes I have one and they are indeed legal in all PDGA sanctioned events but player must still make their shot within the allowable 30 seconds. It's called the Edge. It will display distance to target and height distance below that. Manual and internet searches don't say what to do with that information; i.e. simply add the two for effective distance or multiply height by some factor.

Yes I have one. It's called the Edge. It will display distance to target and height distance below that. Manual and internet searches don't say what to do with that information; i.e. simply add the two for effective distance or multiply height by some factor.
Okay, the V5 will tell you the slope and then give you an adjusted distance. I didn’t know that some of rangefinders don’t give you the adjusted distance measurement.

I take that to mean that it is capable/can measure up to 900 ft or 275 m

I think your general rule of 3ft/1 yard for every ft of elevation is correct
Ok thanks a lot. That makes way more sense. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why/how they came up with 900ft with only a 35ft elevation.

Btw I just realized I'm tanked 49 globally in the 55-59yr bracket; whatever that means.

https://www.pdga.com/global-masters/2023/leaderboard/AM55?p=1#p49

Okay, the V5 will tell you the slope and then give you an adjusted distance. I didn’t know that some of rangefinders don’t give you the adjusted distance measurement.
Nice. That's what's confusing about the Edge and it's ZMode. It doesn't say whether or not the height distance has already been added to the effective distance or are players suppose to know the correct theorem and manually add it.

Nice. That's what's confusing about the Edge and it's ZMode. It doesn't say whether or not the height distance has already been added to the effective distance or are players suppose to know the correct theorem and manually add it.
The elevation has not been added to an “effective distance” you are left to make that calculation yourself.

Yeah, it's definitely the range, not the adjusted value for the given example. Very confusing graphic.

Most units with a slope function will also display both values - the "as the crow flies" number and the "adjusted for elevation" number.

Yeah seems like it should calculate effective distance, but that might be deemed too much information for use in competition. For instance the golf range finders have slope/vertical modes that can’t be used in competition, only straight distance.

I use my golf Tour V5 for disc golf and it’s so annoying having to multiply yardage x3 calculating for DG :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom