Rake, staff bonus, and tipping

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I played in a tournament last night, and here are the financial details. And keep in mind that this is a NH cardroom, so they have to give like 35% of their profits to charity.
The tournament is a 50/50/50 which means each player can fire up to three $50 bullets. There's also a "staff bonus" where you get extra chips for the first buyin, for an extra $10.

So, 121 runners - safe to say theyre all in for $60 each - 121*60=$7260
82 rebuys and 77 addons - 159*50=$7950
So they took in a total of $15,210

The prize pool was $11,079, so they raked off $4131, which is 27%. Kind of brutal. But that's the price you pay for playing low buy-in tournaments in a charity room. (Interestingly, NH limits tournaments to a maximum buy-in/addon total of $250, so there just aren't any high buy-in tournaments, but that's another story.) I've always been comfortable with it, considering the higher rake an acceptable trade-off for a weaker player pool, but that's another nother story.

But this staff bonus bullshit bothers me. I'll have to ask them exactly how that works, next time. Obviously that $1210 went to the staff, somehow, whether it's figured into their hourly or actually is a bonus for working that tournament, they're getting it. But then the question becomes, should I even be tipping? That $1210 is more than 10% of the prize pool - that's more than the dealers would get from tips, typically. Now, I'm not a cheap bastard when it comes to tipping dealers - I'm more than fair, I think. I was in for $110, min-cashed for $204, and tipped $14. But now I'm wondering if I'm the sucker. Is that extra $10 staff bonus (that everybody pays) supposed to be in lieu of a tip?

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
27% of every game at my place now goes to the Audrey Defense Fund (ADF) to give her all the kibble she needs during these trying times....

Highli99

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the rake was....what you described sounds about standard for tournament at that buy in level, but still painful. When paying a dealer bonus I’d probably only tip a little more if I had a big cash. That’s me personally. I always tip a buck a hand in cash games but rarely throw out more. I don’t subscribe to the big pot big tip school of thought although saying it out loud my behavior in tournaments does not align. Dang. I guess I’ll just stick to cash to avoid being a hypocrite.

nitzilla

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't tip extra unless I win*, so I've never tipped extra............ :cool

EDIT: 1st place, not "win money"......

Top Bottom