Raised Rails (1 Viewer)

No movement at all, that's great! My cup holders are only slightly sunken into the rail so I should be ok then. Thanks for the info!

From the website, it says my 1/2" thick 56" round glass top is 140 lbs. The glass grips my vinyl rail pretty good to keep it from moving.

From the website, it says my 1/2" thick 56" round glass top is 140 lbs. The glass grips my vinyl rail pretty good to keep it from moving.

140 lbs...…...that's heavier than I was expecting but glad the weight allows the glass topper to sit firmly in place at all times. Very helpful information. Thanks!

The weight surprised me too. It doesn't feel like 140 but who knows.

Being able to remove the glass topper with one person is my main consideration and since you've confirmed that it can be done I'm good to go!

How big is your table? What shape is it? Since mine is round and to avoid throwing my back out, I just roll my topper (on carpet) to my table, lift one side up onto the rail then the other side and slide it on. Same for taking it off. Use towels or something soft to roll it on if you have tile or hardwood.

I have a glass top on my mini table. I use it as overflow storage for chips and buttons. Acquired via Craigslist. Just searched for glass table tops. They might have some available?

AABB95C3-A966-4B73-8EB1-C067D844EE56.jpeg
509B64F8-B633-4E3A-9D97-9477FC0E52B2.jpeg
3FAB71C2-2956-4F31-954D-BD31D61BEE70.jpeg

How big is your table? What shape is it? Since mine is round and to avoid throwing my back out, I just roll my topper (on carpet) to my table, lift one side up onto the rail then the other side and slide it on. Same for taking it off. Use towels or something soft to roll it on if you have tile or hardwood.

My table (oval shape) dimensions are 71.5 in x 44.5 in. GlassTopsDirect has two stock 'Race Track Oval" shapes in dimensions ( 72" x 42" and 84" x 44") that are close to what I would need but wouldn't quite work as I'd want the glass to extend out beyond the rail about an inch or two all the way around. I'll have to investigate their site further to see if they do custom sizes. But as far as removal, I was thinking exactly as you suggested...…with the glass topper being thin enough I could, by myself, slide it off of the table then walk/slide it along the floor to wherever I need to store it. (y) :thumbsup:

Why not just do a rectangular top? Watch out, one piece that big will probably be quite heavy.

Well, the room my table is situated in is kind of small and tight so I figured the rounded edges of the oval shape would give me a few extra inches of room since it would be the same shape as the table itself. Weight is a concern for sure. If Tommy's 58" round glass topper is 140 lbs then I'm afraid to know what the weight of a glass topper with the dimensions I need would be.

But as far as removal, I was thinking exactly as you suggested...…with the glass topper being thin enough I could, by myself, slide it off of the table then walk/slide it along the floor to wherever I need to store it. (y) :thumbsup:

I store my glass top and table inserts in my utility room next to the refrigerator. I have a little strip of carpet to keep it off the slab.

IMG_20180923_223026.jpg

Perfect, outta the way spot! I still have the foam padding that my BBO dinning top shipped in so I think that would serve nicely as the floor covering for the glass topper to sit on. But man, I'm thinking the size of glass I'd need would weigh dam near 200 lbs!

Just look at the height of a chip stack next to the rail. If they're stacked 20 high it's only slightly taller than the raised rail portion, so it's quite high.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom