Raised Rail Table Plan Question (1 Viewer)

Jake_rrr

Pair
Reaction score
Is this correct as far as having the raised rail over top of the playing top foam? I just made this plan up in illustrator. Or should the playing surface be 3/4" and the foam butts right up to the raised rail?

I currently have a table that has no raised rail, and this would eventually be the second table I make. Probably in the spring time.

I have noticed most people saying to cut the table down from 48" to 44" which sounds good to me. But what about cutting the length down from 96" to 92"? Any preference on that?

Any comments from the experienced builders out there would be a great help.

raised-rail-plans.png

Not sure I understand the question.

raised-rail-plans-questions.png

1.) What is this? A void?

2.) What is this?

3.) Are you planning to get a different board to use as the playing surface? If so, you're adding needless complication.

Also, why only raise the rail .75? Is that intentional?

1. Is a void that will happen from using the router.
2. That would be the exposed wood from the raised rail.
3. I was thinking of getting .5" plywood for the playing area and with the .25 foam and felt it would equal out to the .75 plywood needed to match the section of the rail.

I was having it raised .75 because that is the thickness of the plywood. Though I could get something thicker to make it 1".

mrRjBvT.jpg

Here's an example. Those blocks in the middle are giving the rail its "raise". Mine are cut from the same 3/4 in plywood as the rest of the table. If you're cutting you table down to 44 inches, just take those cuts and cut them into the blocks you see here. I cut mine 1.5 inches wide.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks @brains613

Did you do a lighted rail on that picture? I know I have seen it before but can't remember.

Stolen picture. But I'm copying that design, and yes, lighting it. I;m in the middle of the build right now. Build thread around here somewhere.

Here's where I stole it.

http://imgur.com/a/Q54gK

That builder posted a cutout somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom