Raised Rail Table Build (1 Viewer)

Pokerback

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So like all good projects this all started with getting 2 sheets of 12mm ply given to me and things just got out of hand from there.

It’s been in planning for a while but got some good progress this week. Here’s how it sits now ready for assembly
The plan is:
-2100x1050mm oval
19mm base with edge banding and decorative nails
-19mm raised rail with edge banding maybe decorative nails too
-cup holders in rail
-powder coated steel legs
-suited speed cloth because that’s what’s easy in Australia can get updated later
-not sure what vinyl yet - suggestions?
-maybe fill in the leg columns with timber not sure see how it looks

1D943913-4415-4C31-BEDA-83BAB99ECF89.jpeg

But I have some questions about foam. Getting something the same as 2.0 density 65lb foam in Australia is a little tricky. Down here of course we’re a bit different so our compression test goes to 40% rather than the US 25% so all the numbers are shot to shit.

Oh and we do things in kg and Newton’s just to make things more fun. After some number crunching I ended up punting on 31kgm3 density 320 Newton’s compression and it feels a little soft to me but it’s hard to tell until the rail is wrapped and finished I guess. Any foam gurus care to give some advice it would be appreciated.

More pics to come as I get time over the holidays

Cheers

Bit more progress today, T nuts in and rail glued and screwed... hopefully good enough, couldn’t find any suitable clamps.

5CF3D175-6CF7-4784-AC9B-D1E1DA32BA6C.jpeg

And knocked up the mini table rail that came out of the scraps from the big table. One of the many pluses of doing it all on a cnc. Not sure what this will be.. small overflow table? Computer desk? Anyways it’s good practice with the upholstery work before I tackle the big one

215DAB46-F974-4AEA-ABD0-00679B5E0238.jpeg

Unfortunately other projects around the house took priority over the holidays so it’s been neglected. It’s pre assembled, mounted on the base, bit of tweaking to do but time for upholstery and that’s how it’s sat for a couple weeks. Hopefully get back to it this weekend just need to pick up some vinyl and I have everything I need.

Any suggestions on colour? I have black speed cloth already so black on black? Will an electric stapler do the job or do I need to drag out a compressor?

There’s progress!!
Cup holder rings glued. Pre assembly all done everything fits
58FB6041-3746-4A3D-BAEE-753730DD3DC9.jpeg

Playing surface foam is on just needs some trimming
2105ABF8-C828-4978-83FA-587F811A4B09.jpeg

And started the rail on the little table still needs some work. I think this is actually harder than the big one is going to be, that inside radius is pretty tight
C757CB44-136B-4FC8-9621-F7EE06FA5382.jpeg

Now for the dumb question.. which side up for the speedcloth? I can see an obvious side on it

Never mind.. daylight shows easily which side is up lol. But I’m having a lot of trouble getting the fold marks out of the speedcloth, even think I warped a trial piece with the iron and it still has fold marks. Any suggestions?

Speed cloth should always come shipped in a tube. I don’t understand why people fold it. I never buy unless I know it will come in a tube. Costs more, but no creases.

Unfortunately you take what you can get in Australia, in hindsight probably should have shipped something decent from the states

Well it’s not finished but it’s playable, last minute game was organised for Saturday so it is broken in now.

B53914A3-DF3D-4076-83E9-04A62963CAF8.jpeg

8 runners, small stakes $10 rebuy that built to a $300 prize pool (I know, I love my mates ) And guess who won!

Excuse the dice chips they are next on the list but again options in Australia are fairly limited

Well it’s not finished but it’s playable, last minute game was organised for Saturday so it is broken in now.

View attachment 412814

8 runners, small stakes $10 rebuy that built to a $300 prize pool (I know, I love my mates ) And guess who won!

Excuse the dice chips they are next on the list but again options in Australia are fairly limited
Nice job with the build.

Where did you get the foam for the rail? And how much did it cost.

Everything is a nightmare to source here isn't it.

Nice job with the build.

Where did you get the foam for the rail? And how much did it cost.

Everything is a nightmare to source here isn't it.

Yeah and more expensive too. The supplier was dyman foams a local place, I’ll have a look around for the invoice but it wasn’t the worst bit of the build cash wise

Problem I found is that in Australia, we don’t have full lengths of foam for the rail. It needs to be joined.
Saying that, 25mm high density does the job. A 2m sheet is somewhere around $40-$50

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom