Raised rail, how high is too high? (1 Viewer)

stonker

Two Pair
Reaction score
I've seen some beautiful tables on here and on TV with very tall raised rails. Is the playing surface the same height or do they lower the table a little to compensate for the taller rail? How tall is too tall? Is it uncomfortable for the players? The playing surface of my table is just under 30" from the floor and the top of the rail is just under 32 inches. I'm thinking of adding a 1.25" spacer between the table and the rail. Am I making a mistake?

IMG_2923.jpg

I think the general consensus for raised rails is a .75-1.5in raise. Anything more could be uncomfortable as the table comes up too high. I have a 1.5in raised rail and it is at the very top of the max height I would want, especially since I am not super tall.

I think you are probably in the sweet spot for most as comfort goes.

Do you have adjustable chairs? That may change things.

I need better seating.

32" is already pretty tall, unless you have taller seats. I typically shoot for 29"-30" for the rail height.

Measured my table at 31 inches at the top of the rail and my buddy said his chanman table is 30.

Thanks for all of the replies. So is the norm to plan on floor to top of rail distance and adjust the table height based on how much of a raised rail?

I’d say 1 1/2” tops. If it’s too high it causes players to open up their cards a bit too high. Causes issues with counting chips with some inevitably ending up against the inside wall that the player can’t see.

I would say if the table height is perfect and the rail just right, our regs have noticed that players tend to pay more attention. Just from sitting up straight. Whew knew?

My preference is 1" to 2.5" max. rail height measured from felt level, and 30" from floor to top-of-rail (regardless of rail height). That typically means less than 1" of extra height added beyond the basic wood/foam/vinyl constuction thickness of the rail itself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom