Rail Suede? (1 Viewer)

brains613

Flush
Reaction score
Where can I find rail suede now? I'm refurbishing a couple of tables, and instead of worrying about a few tears, I'm just going to cover the existing suede rails with another layer. I originally used the padded suede from YAT, but that doesn't seem to exist any more.

I also figured I could just use some cheap suede fabric, since the "padding" is already there, but when I got down to the curves, I discovered that it had no stretch, AT ALL. It just tore and ripped, and I'm going to just pull it all off.

I saw some mentions of "Texuede", and I see the listing for it at YAT. Kind of pricey, but should I just get that?

I used marine vinyl for my rails. There are quite a few vendors on Feebay that have a variety of colors. Tearing it won’t be an issue while covering, but there is a learning curve if you haven’t used it before. There’s a lot of great videos on YouTube that will get you up to speed.

I used marine vinyl for my rails. There are quite a few vendors on Feebay that have a variety of colors. Tearing it won’t be an issue while covering, but there is a learning curve if you haven’t used it before. There’s a lot of great videos on YouTube that will get you up to speed.

I appreciate the input. I've built using vinyl before, but I greatly prefer suede. It's not even close.

I’m curious, what do you prefer about it? I’m already planning another build, and I’m always looking for ways to improve.

I just prefer the feel of it. It's easier on the touch. I have found that the players agree. When I first switched, almost to a person, they remarked that it was nicer. That was like three tables and maybe 7 years ago... Wouldn't dream of going back to vinyl.

Edited to add - For building purposes, I have found it MUCH easier to work with than vinyl.

I just prefer the feel of it. It's easier on the touch. I have found that the players agree. When I first switched, almost to a person, they remarked that it was nicer. That was like three tables and maybe 7 years ago... Wouldn't dream of going back to vinyl.

Edited to add - For building purposes, I have found it MUCH easier to work with than vinyl.
+1. When I switched all my players noticed and loved it

+1. When I switched all my players noticed and loved it
Looks like I’ll be getting samples before my next build!!

That would be awesome of you! Much appreciated!

Mate. I finished one of my refurbs. If you still want some pieces of suede to check out, PM me the address, and I'll send them out.

I considered building a small rail piece that would fit in a SFRB, but I tossed all my scraps a while back, so I don't have any foam or plywood pieces that I could use to make that. I should totally do that, though, with vinyl AND suede, just so people have a way to compare.

I considered building a small rail piece that would fit in a SFRB, but I tossed all my scraps a while back, so I don't have any foam or plywood pieces that I could use to make that. I should totally do that, though, with vinyl AND suede, just so people have a way to compare.

That would be epic! Old school salesman’s samples are so cool, and really helpful if they’re done well.

About to lay some YAT Reno suede on the rail tomorrow. I've had it laid out flat for a bit, but still seems to have some of the fold lines in there - it has always been rolled, but obviously there's always some lines.

Does the faux suede need to be ironed free of wrinkles first? Or will they pull out when stretching for the install?

About to lay some YAT Reno suede on the rail tomorrow. I've had it laid out flat for a bit, but still seems to have some of the fold lines in there - it has always been rolled, but obviously there's always some lines.

Does the faux suede need to be ironed free of wrinkles first? Or will they pull out when stretching for the install?
Any wrinkles should pull out as you stretch and staple. If you do want to try to minimize any creases before starting, I would steam before I ironed, if available. I’ve only personally handled a sample of the gaming suede, but I’d think steaming would get the job done with a better result

I've not used that material before, but given it needs to be stretched and pulled tight I don't think you'd need to do anything prior. Ironing/steaming couldn't hurt but likely not necessary.

Man the suede for me is creating lumps like CRAZY to start out. I assumed since it's a bit stiffer that it would cut down on what I've seen on vinyl in the past, but for some reason this is causing me issues. Might have to pull and restart...maybe just got off to a bad start.

It is also the first time I'm doing it face down on a table. In the past I've always knelt on it while doing it on the ground...

Ok ok I get it now...suede doesn't like to be pulled to hell. A light pull and set and it's working just fine now.

Any pictures you care to share of your suede rail? @Venturalvn or anyone else!? I’m on the fence!
I had to just to just get it done to get the garage back in order but honestly I'm not happy with how it turned out - not sure what I did wrong, possibly didn't compress the foam enough while wrapping.

I'll post pics soon but it isn't worthy of the Table Showcase thread :cry: I'll likely have to redo it later down the road. For now it'll have to stay for a while.

With that said...it's COMFORTABLE for sure. MUCH more luxurious than the vinyl we've had for decades, and if it looked anything like what the wizards around here pump out I'd be over the moon.

Any pictures you care to share of your suede rail? @Venturalvn or anyone else!? I’m on the fence!
Suede rail is where it’s at. Very happy I went with it for my most recent

jbfPjb1.jpg

I like it @Venturalvn! Tough to see imperfections in the picture that’s for sure. What would you do differently? Pull it tighter? Slow down and take your time ? Have a second set of hands? Any tips would be great to hear as I am about to start this weekend! Again, I think it looks great. Your chairs looks awesome too!

I like it @Venturalvn! Tough to see imperfections in the picture that’s for sure. What would you do differently? Pull it tighter? Slow down and take your time ? Have a second set of hands? Any tips would be great to hear as I am about to start this weekend! Again, I think it looks great. Your chairs looks awesome too!
IMO it's too pillowy looking. This is the first time I've upholstered a rail by doing it on a table waist high. I pulled as tight as I could but still couldn't get a nice clean straight edging all the way around. When I eventually redo the rail I'll do it on the ground while kneeling on it so that the foam reaches a level of deeper compression when stapling, which should help with the uniformity.

To be fair it could be other factors. It could be that the backing on the tex suede isn't stiff enough, making it too flexible. It could be that when I laid the rail down on the foam that it shifted a touch and caused oddities in how the foam was wrapping around the wood when it was compressed by the suede.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom