Rail foam question (1 Viewer)

BadMonkeyMusic

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi,
Searched here and online and can’t find an answer...
I probably already know it’s NO, but I’m asking anyway LOL

I’m going to build a new table, instead of reconstructing an old cheap from trademark.
Seeing as ply is over $50 a sheet right now, need to save wherever I can.
Going with a carpet underpayment for my playing surface under my SSC, and whisper vinyl for my rail...
My question is...
Has anyone used mattress topper foam for their rail?
Like the gel infused or the egg crate style?
Thinking maybe a 2” because it not being seriously heavy duty.

If it’s a really bad idea, let me know

now i have never considered or evaluated these materials for such a use, they might work well or they might not. I do understand building materials really have gone up in price. If you build it right with time test materials, the table will last you many years and hopefully all you need to do later on is upgrade the SSC to a custom design. So if you divide the cost over years, it really isnt that bad. The cost would be less than One night of a bar tab and one night of fine dining. Now the money you win and loose on that table, well that is a whole different story.

If you keep an eye on foam and vinyl, usually the fabric stores will have sales from time to time. Joann Fabrics usually has great sales and sign up for newsletter to get coupons and enter email to get 20% off on first purchase.

1614616813865.jpeg

now i have never considered or evaluated these materials for such a use, they might work well or they might not. I do understand building materials really have gone up in price. If you build it right with time test materials, the table will last you many years and hopefully all you need to do later on is upgrade the SSC to a custom design. So if you divide the cost over years, it really isnt that bad. The cost would be less than One night of a bar tab and one night of fine dining. Now the money you win and loose on that table, well that is a whole different story.

If you keep an eye on foam and vinyl, usually the fabric stores will have sales from time to time. Joann Fabrics usually has great sales and sign up for newsletter to get coupons and enter email to get 20% off on first purchase.
I get, but places like Joann’s I’ve only seen 24” wide...
I don’t want seems in the foam so that won’t work... I’m sure I’ll end up with the right stuff, but if it works well and is half the price, crazy not to use the latter...

Really more concerned with the 3 sheets of ply for over 150 LOL...
Maybe 2 sheets with block raisers and some trip to hide the spaces....

Too much stuff to consider!
Hahahaaaaa

I agree, go with the good stuff for rail foam. and for the love of god use one sheet, dont try to patch together several sections to make it fit. The seams will be noticeable...

I agree, go with the good stuff for rail foam. and for the love of god use one sheet, dont try to patch together several sections to make it fit. The seams will be noticeable...
Absolutely one sheet!!!!

The multiple sheets I mentioned were about the plywood... wanted to do a raised lighted rail, but with only 2 sheets of ply and block pieces to raise the rail.

hopefully others with more experience may chime in
but if you are going with 3 plys, perhaps the game surface ply can be mdf the bottom board is all structural with legs connecting and supporting the table, rail support us humans so maybe you can use cheaper mdf where you put the ssc on. now how much does that save you?

if you call Joanns sometimes they will have larger sizes. Also check out autotrim.com https://www.yourautotrim.com/

YAT is your friend...

also, is this your first build? A raised lighted rail is doable if you have some skills, but it’s not for the feint at heart. I say go for it, but consider sometimes simpler is better. ;)

YAT is great but to ship one sheet of foam is $65...
Nope!

As far as difficulty, I have no issues taking it on, I have a background with wood and upholstery...
Not 100% sold on the lights though... kind of a gimmick maybe.
But saw a post wheee a guy used a black laminate that shows full light and colors and it looked awesome!

I’ve gone over so many ideas in my head, it’s mosh right now!
Hahahaaa

I have the SSC and whisper vinyl, now all I need to do is decide exactly what I wanna build and find the foam at a fair price

There can be a huge difference in the foam. YAT sells "high desity" foam which works very well for rails. Less dense foam, not so much.

Seeing as ply is over $50 a sheet right now, need to save wherever I can.
YAT is great but to ship one sheet of foam is $65
Thoughts like that are what convinced me to order a table from Gorilla Gaming in RI.
I really wanted to build one, but when I realized the materials were coming close to the cost of having one built, I decided to go with the pros.
I'm not discouraging your build, just echoing what the others said. Don't do it cheap.

Well, I don’t think trying to save money on a build is being half assed, I have asked about some things and wondered if different things have worked...

I think $65 to ship a sheet of foam is ridiculous, so I looked elsewhere and went with BYOPT aNd bought both the 1” and 1/4” from them... paid $17 for shipping.
Big difference!

Well, I don’t think trying to save money on a build is being half assed, I have asked about some things and wondered if different things have worked...

I think $65 to ship a sheet of foam is ridiculous, so I looked elsewhere and went with BYOPT aNd bought both the 1” and 1/4” from them... paid $17 for shipping.
Big difference!
Not sure your $65 shipping fee is correct. The last time I bought a sheet of high density foam from YAT about a year ago the shipping was $18.34.

If you find shipping cost for the foam to be prohibitive, try looking for a local source. I found a foam specialty store that was able to factory order a sheet of HD foam for me. Look up shops that advertise memory foam mattresses, etc.

It was also beneficial because I could see and feel the foam in person to select the one I wanted. They had 1/2", 3/4", 1" in varying levels of density. And the price was cheaper than ordering online.

Well upon checkout, that was the listed shipping charge... fed ex I think, I don’t know...
Regardless, like I said I went with BYOPT.

I did look locally and anything the size we need would have been a long wait.
So, pretty much everything is here or a day or 2 away on its way... just need a couple of sheets of ply and I’m on my way to my new table!

I'm still in the middle of my table build, but one thing I'll say is that if you are trying to cut down on the costs, maybe reconsider the LEDs and just put a 1/8" timber trim piece instead of a diffuser.

My LEDs and diffuser material have cost me about USD$110.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom