Rail and felt dimensions (1 Viewer)

Defarse

Pair
Reaction score
Going to start my second build shortly and have a few questions:

1. When someone says they are building a 48x96 table, are these typically the dimensions from the outer plywood rail (not including any foam)?

2. Is 5" the most common size rail?

3. How wide of plywood would one use underneath the rail? If a 5" rail, would you use 2.5" under the rail? And 3" under a 6" rail? Or leave 2" for playing surface under the rail (3" under a 5" rail and 4" under 6" rail)?

4. When ordering a custom felt with a betting line from Chan, would the betting line be a certain distance from the edge of the outer rail or from the inner rail or from the area under the inner rail where the wood is attached under the rail? Would Chan need to know what size rail you are using to get the betting line correct?

Thank you!!!

I have the same questions. The look of the 5” wide rails looks a little wide for the look I want once the extra width of the foam is accounted for. I’m wondering if a 4” wide wood, maybe 5” with foam, rail would look okay. Of course it is hard to judge just from pictures.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that 4' is too wide. My first table is a 48x72 oval and I like the 6' length for self dealt but next one will be 42x72. Last one had nylon velvet speed cloth from YAT but definitely going with Chanman next. First table had 6" rail and I think I will do a 5".

Going to start my second build shortly and have a few questions:

1. When someone says they are building a 48x96 table, are these typically the dimensions from the outer plywood rail (not including any foam)?

2. Is 5" the most common size rail?

3. How wide of plywood would one use underneath the rail? If a 5" rail, would you use 2.5" under the rail? And 3" under a 6" rail? Or leave 2" for playing surface under the rail (3" under a 5" rail and 4" under 6" rail)?

4. When ordering a custom felt with a betting line from Chan, would the betting line be a certain distance from the edge of the outer rail or from the inner rail or from the area under the inner rail where the wood is attached under the rail? Would Chan need to know what size rail you are using to get the betting line correct?

Thank you!!!

Dimensions are usually in reference to the plywood, it doesn't take into account upholstery. When you upholster the table, the amount of bulge you get also varies depending on how tight you pull the vinyl.

Almost all of our rails are 6" wide, plus foam.

Up to you, minimum would be around 1.5". You don't want the ring to be too skinny otherwise it gets flimsy. But the wider the ring, the harder it is to upholster if you're wrapping the vinyl around the entire ring and not just stapling to the underside.

Provide us with plywood dimensions, and the width of the rail. Our default distance from the rail to betting line is 7", but that's up to you.

Cheers

Thanks Tony!!

How wide of a ring do you use when building a 6" rail? And how about on a 5" rail?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom