Radio Controlled Cars (1 Viewer)

Edit - What are you using for Tx/Rx?
Spektrum DX5C, $100 I believe. It will save up to 10 models and handles four wheel steering. Seemed to be a budget remote for the options. It can do up to 5 channels.

Receiver is a Spectrum SR315, I've used it in another rig I set up for four wheel steering. I'm setting the bus up for 4WS as well. $45 I believe.

AMain and Tower hobbies always run coupons so watch for those.

I did a custom 4ws set up on the last truck I set up for my son. He turns two Thursday, it's funny watching him operate the RCs.

Spektrum DX5C, $100 I believe. It will save up to 10 models and handles four wheel steering. Seemed to be a budget remote for the options. It can do up to 5 channels.

Receiver is a Spectrum SR315, I've used it in another rig I set up for four wheel steering. I'm setting the bus up for 4WS as well. $45 I believe.

AMain and Tower hobbies always run coupons so watch for those.

I did a custom 4ws set up on the last truck I set up for my son. He turns two Thursday, it's funny watching him operate the RCs.

THANK YOU!!

OK, I have a ton of questions for you... I'm relearning all of this stuff after being away from the hobby for 30-ish years, and am currently bombarded with information overload.

> What's 4WS, and why would I want it on a Monster Beetle?
> Also... are there any tools for pairing motors with speed controllers? It seems like you need to be careful with matching things up correctly (ie, brush vs brushless) so you don't burn out controllers?
> Also, what do you recommend for servos - and how do I even know what I want/need?
> Lastly, what's the current battery tech - has it switched fully to LiPo? What are people using? And can LiPos be used safely?

I'm pretty old so I rocked one of these as a kid. You could click the wheels into a turned position to make it go in a circle, that was the "remote control". If you set it straight you had to chase it. I remember the Cox .049 was pretty reliable for a year or so.
vintage-cox-gas-powered-dune-buggy.jpg

THANK YOU!!

OK, I have a ton of questions for you... I'm relearning all of this stuff after being away from the hobby for 30-ish years, and am currently bombarded with information overload.

> What's 4WS, and why would I want it on a Monster Beetle?
> Also... are there any tools for pairing motors with speed controllers? It seems like you need to be careful with matching things up correctly (ie, brush vs brushless) so you don't burn out controllers?
> Also, what do you recommend for servos - and how do I even know what I want/need?
> Lastly, what's the current battery tech - has it switched fully to LiPo? What are people using? And can LiPos be used safely?
I will address these tonight, slammed at work.

I had a 1980s Kyosho Optima back in the day.
Looks like there is a newer 2016 re-release of it that has a better drive system.
The old school chain drive was a pain to keep running well but I still had fun with it.

I lusted after the Optima mid when I was a kid. If they do a re-release, I may not be able to resist.

There are a few "big kids" on YouTube who seem to indulge their childhood RC nostalgia including RC Kicks & Tamiya Legends and oddly they mostly seem to be British...

And can LiPos be used safely?
I refer to LiPo batteries to my wife as "the explod-ey battery" and she doesn't share my sense of humour about it.

LiPo's can be used safely, but you should follow the guidelines, especially safe storage voltage etc. So you'll want a charger that can discharge correctly, or a standalone discharger because your truck will break and you'll be stuck with a full LiPo with no way to get it to safe storage voltage.

I'm relearning all of this stuff after being away from the hobby for 30-ish years, and am currently bombarded with information overload.

I've dabbled in RC on and off for 20 years, I would say that my knowledge is rather limited and the information overload has been an issue for me as well. I'll do my best though.

What's 4WS, and why would I want it on a Monster Beetle?

Four wheel steering. I doubt the Monster Beetle is set up for rear steer and being able to modify it for rear steer may prove difficult. Not real familiar with the chassis it is on though.

I set up rear steer on Miles CR12 as we run it inside at slower speeds and it helps in tight quarters, also helps with crawling and he gets a kick out of it. The King Yellow I'm building now has a 4WS option from the factory so that's how I am setting it up as well since it will mostly be run at low speeds inside. The remote I have allows me to turn off the rear steer if I want to run out doors at higher speeds. 4WS is sketchy at high speeds.

Also... are there any tools for pairing motors with speed controllers? It seems like you need to be careful with matching things up correctly (ie, brush vs brushless) so you don't burn out controllers?

Not real sure, we run at slower speeds and the only brushless motor I have came on a RTR. I plan on running a 2s Lipo on the stock Tamiya Silver can motor that comes with it. I picked up a speed control that can handle 3s but I hear the silver can is only good for 2s. Overall I'm pretty clueless on a brushless set up but it could be overkill for your Beetle.

Also, what do you recommend for servos - and how do I even know what I want/need?

Non-name brand servos can be had at a reasonable price. I am trying these.

Screenshot_20200804-173522.png

Lastly, what's the current battery tech - has it switched fully to LiPo? What are people using? And can LiPos be used safely?

I run lipos, definitely be careful though. I'd store them in something fireproof as a precaution. I need to find a better charger as I seem to charge up a bunch of batteries and then something breaks and I don't have a good way to discharge them. Recently I have found that a few of my batteries are now puffy so now I'd rather not use them.

Last edited:
I have lots of lipos of varying ages. I store them in lipo bags (like this) and put the bags in old ammo cans. A few bucks for safety is a hell of a lot cheaper than having a house fire.

I also have a fancy charger (expensive) that can do balance, storage and discharge. When charging I keep the lipo in the bag with the leads poking out.

The primary cause of lipo fires is overcharging. A good charger will mitigate this.

Here's a good article about lipos: http://learningrc.com/lipo-battery/

Edit to add, I generally go cheap on cars, planes, electronics etc since I'm likely to break them. I buy the best lipos and chargers I can afford.

What's left;

-Decals
-Solder a deans or Traxxas adapter to the speed control (gonna have to buy a new soldering iron doh)
-Program the remote to set up the 4WS correctly

IMG_20200804_211431.jpg

I was terrible at cutting out bodies when I was 15, still just as bad. Pretty sure this body will be annihilated by Miles though so oh well.

Super bummed I'm not running it as we speak, wrong battery connection, doh.

When I first started out with R/C, I wanted to race. The track closest to me raced 1/18 scale hpi micro rs4... Started out with the stock kits, but quickly moved to more competitive chassis and upgrades... after 20 years, the kits still look the same... Here's a link.

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112468

Fun little cars.

Holy crap... my brother found my Tamiya King Cab and RC10 from the early 90s in my parents’ basement!

Gotta find a way to get these out to Denver - and I’ll have a restoration project on my hands!!!

1B0FDE26-424F-461A-8792-F6B251D6D59B.jpeg

Finally got a pic of the “bum pat” this weekend when, at my daughters request, we strapped her prized “Flamingo Baby” and took her for a rip.

Shortly after this my daughter got hold of the control and sent the truck full speed across the street, jumped the curb and hit the neighbours fence about halfway up! We nearly died laughing.
DB88497A-3D80-47A0-8E3D-262A02325AEC.jpeg

I have some more builds to document, but for now I FINALLY got my hands on an SCX24.

I’m thinking about doing a TRX-4 or SCX10 kit but since I live on the bald prairie I figured I’d dip my toes in to start.

DECAC19C-323E-4F71-AE96-C10EF264BCEE.jpeg

I forgot about this thread! I have a build that I'm gonna be working on when I manage to get the time. I'll have to share it once I get to it.

I still have this in my parent's basement. Not sure if it's worth digging out or not. (Not my pic, but this is the exact model I have)

1616081351016.png

Does anyone know if it's upgradable in any way? Worth it to try and get it running?

I forgot about this thread! I have a build that I'm gonna be working on when I manage to get the time. I'll have to share it once I get to it.
Shit, I forgot to post that project lol.

Just got a few parts to convert my Losi to 4s. Not sure if the diffs will hold up but we will see! Gonna get it set up for the dunes this year!

PXL_20220203_194156085.jpg
IMG_20200711_094811.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom