Racks for CPC Chips...Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

mnebesny

Flush
Reaction score
Need some racks for my CPC chips (DSQ). All my Paulsons are in 20410/Chipco/Unique trays that I can't fit a full barrel of the CPCs into.

AFAIK there are only two styles of racks: the covered style like the ones sold by Apache and Matusi, and the tray style like the ones sold by CPC and Key West. Curious what most people use for their CPCs and why. Any advice on which styles/brands are best? I live in Canada so I'm assuming the shipping is going to be killer no matter how I do it...that's part of the reason I haven't "gotten samples" yet.

I've heard a lot of people recommend the ones from Key West. I'm curious if the Chipco racks which are slightly wider than Paulson racks will fit the diamond square mold. The Chipco racks fit my Abbiati well.

I've read that different molds have different heights. Not sure where DSQ fits as well, but following.

Are you in the next DSQ run? I'm in the process of submitting my order and from the sound of it this mold runs in 6-9 months.

I use cheapo Made in China stamped racks. I find they work best for CPCs out of the styles I have. Have not tried the Key West racks or the CPC racks to compare them to though. The only issue with the Made in China racks is that the CPC chips (at least my CSQs) can be just slightly larger than 39mm, so a lot of barrels have tiny gaps between the bottom of the chip where the bottom of the chip should be resting. Here's a pic to illustrate:

PXL_20201113_165440741~2.jpg

Because of this I only stack my racks 3 high so there isn't excessive pressure on the chips.

I've heard a lot of people recommend the ones from Key West. I'm curious if the Chipco racks which are slightly wider than Paulson racks will fit the diamond square mold. The Chipco racks fit my Abbiati well.

I've read that different molds have different heights. Not sure where DSQ fits as well, but following.
The short version is that the DSQs don't fit in a chipco rack

I took a random rack of my chips (which have been well used and are noticable worn) and only 2 of the 5 barrels would fit in a rack, and those barrels took a bit of forcing to get them in...
PXL_20211027_012254413.jpg

PXL_20211027_012245308.jpg

Anyway, I'm making an order from @dennis63 , before this I was pretty much split between him and some of the Apache racks, so thanks for making the decision easy.

The short version is that the DSQs don't fit in a chipco rack

I took a random rack of my chips (which have been well used and are noticable worn) and only 2 of the 5 barrels would fit in a rack, and those barrels took a bit of forcing to get them in...
View attachment 800961
View attachment 800962

Anyway, I'm making an order from @dennis63 , before this I was pretty much split between him and some of the Apache racks, so thanks for making the decision easy.
Do you order from him here or do you order from the website?

Canada, EH?

That's a fair question... I got racks from ASM back in the day and they're good. I wonder if CPC uses the same...

Are you in the next DSQ run? I'm in the process of submitting my order and from the sound of it this mold runs in 6-9 months.
I'm pretty lose to doing a DSQ order. I have some scrown samples coming and want to feel those first, but I like 6+9 more than 12 months...

I'm pretty lose to doing a DSQ order. I have some scrown samples coming and want to feel those first, but I like 6+9 more than 12 months...
That was the last quote I got from David, but it is just a guess. New chips for me October next year?

What's the lead time on clay...like 4 months?
Yea he said it can take 4 months for them to hand make and assemble prior to the run so you have about 1.5 months to finalize (I sent my email to him at the beginning of the month).

Bud Jones racks are the stone nuts for CPCs. Great quality and fit snug like Paulson do in Paulson racks, can’t believe nobody has mentioned them. Admittedly they’re a little tricky to find, but I might have a handful of extras.

Bud Jones racks are the stone nuts for CPCs. Great quality and fit snug like Paulson do in Paulson racks, can’t believe nobody has mentioned them. Admittedly they’re a little tricky to find, but I might have a handful of extras.
Do Bud Jones racks fit well in bird cages?

I got my racks from Key West (Large Crown) and they fit very well. There is a very slight variance in the width of the chips, so one or two barrels (out of 21 racks) are a little tight, but they do fit. These are still mint, so once I get them in play even those remaining barrels should fit perfectly.

That settles it (and I forgot about this thread too lol).

I'll need a new order of racks. Thanks everyone!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom