Racetrack removal (1 Viewer)

JeepologyOffroad

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Newbie when it comes to wood work and building a table. I plan to give it a shot once I free up some more time, but looking for something quick in the mean time.

Found this on marketplace and I'm assuming it's a common mass produced table? How difficult would it be to get rid of the racetrack and speed cloth the whole thing?

Appreciate the help.

table.jpg

Found this one as well which guy says is very heavy and well built, but they are asking 3x as much. What do these things normally go for?

table2.jpg

Yeesh. I would buy something clean and functional for as low as you can get, and save up the rest for your build materials. You should never spend more than $100 on a table that's going to be very temporary.

Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. That first one they are asking $125, but not budging on price yet. Just not a fan of the racetrack and feel like if it could be removed and speed cloth over entire playing area then it would be a decent 2nd table.

Newbie when it comes to wood work and building a table. I plan to give it a shot once I free up some more time, but looking for something quick in the mean time.

Found this on marketplace and I'm assuming it's a common mass produced table? How difficult would it be to get rid of the racetrack and speed cloth the whole thing?

Appreciate the help.

View attachment 314799

Looks like my BBO "Ultimate" table. If so, the race track is glued to the base, and the rail to the racetrack. Don't know how easy it will be to separate. I have two inserts, one with speed cloth.

The insert should be easy to re-cloth.

OTOH, my players and I like the racetrack just fine.

Yeesh. I would buy something clean and functional for as low as you can get, and save up the rest for your build materials. You should never spend more than $100 on a table that's going to be very temporary.
I disagree on this, I have spent more on temp tables, but not a lot more. I would go up to $150.

I would like to get a Chanman table for my regular game but the conditions are too harsh (beer spills and ash).

CORRECTION:

The racetrack is not glued to the base. The table at the racetrack is the full width of the base, and the racetrack material is a laminate on top. The center section where the playing surface insert goes must be routed out. (It has a square steel brace underneath.)

I disagree on this, I have spent more on temp tables, but not a lot more. I would go up to $150.

I would like to get a Chanman table for my regular game but the conditions are too harsh (beer spills and ash).

I suppose I should qualify my 'temporary' description.
I would advise not to spend more than $100 for a temporary table you will have for only a few months.
Feel free to spend a bit more if you plan to keep and use the temporary table regularly for up to a year or more.

Needs cup holders, legs, speed cloth redone, and a solid cleaning but only 15 bucks for this one.

table3.jpg

Still on the search. Nothing in my area at all. May just start a build.

What's the average material cost for a simple table? Nothing too fancy or custom - speed cloth, vinyl, maybe a raised rail - no racetrack or cup holders

The legs are super important, don't skimp out! I had cheap Home Depot legs for a long time and they were mediocre at best. With superior legs on the table, it feels amazing now.

Thanks for the tips. Exactly the info I was looking for.

First off, I’ve purchase cheap tables to “refurbish” and it’s always more hassle than it’s worth. The amount of wood work involved and materials, it’s probably cheaper and easier to start from scratch... and the salvageable parts are junk usually anyway...

Start fresh, as mentioned above. For a base, I’d consider searching marketplace and Craigslist for “pedestal table”. I’ve had luck finding old crappy condition oak claw foot pedestal tables for around $100, then adding a rail and full length speed cloth. It’ll look like a $2000 table when you’re done. Here’s an example of me doing this to a round pub table...

3F314C1D-B427-4EC3-84ED-8BF50F64472D.jpeg

Thanks @Trihonda I think I pretty much came to that conclusion last night as well. I have a buddy that does wood work that is going to help out there. I’ll do the upholstery work. As for legs, I have a cnc at the shop and will probably fab up something like this. Leaning towards a custom cloth from @T_Chan now too. Slippery slope gets me every time :LOL: :laugh:

77EBBA61-D273-4318-9427-1A92CA2C6258.jpeg

Holy buckets those would be some legs!!

If you have the space to leave it set up, +1 to using an existing table/ that’s as cheap & easy as it gets.

I’ve a friend who made a table topper for his dining room table fairly cheaply. He used nice cloth and it looks like a million bucks but didn’t cost much to make. Since it was made specifically for his own table, it fits snugly over top of it and doesn’t budge- I liked playing at it much more than the folding tables I’ve played on. As time went on he got more space and he added legs and converted it to a second table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom