Quit Smoking (1 Viewer)

My father died in June after nearly 10 years of struggle with multiple health issues, most of which were directly related to chainsmoking for nearly 50 years until he had no choice but to stop. He spent much of that last 10 years in hospitals and doctors’ offices. It’s truly one of the worst things for the body, at every level. (The only good thing about it was that growing up with all that smoke caused my brother and I to never take it up.)

Keep up the fight—you’ll be so glad you did.

It is YOUR life. Take control and dominate the mental side of it because that will likely never go away. I am 13 years free from smoking. Never going back. Keep it up and take it one day at a time. Don't be above support groups and like @allforcharity said: lozenges, gum, patches, bupropion, or varenicline. WHATEVER it takes dog

Good on you! That’s an impossible hill to climb. Stay the course. Every day will be a struggle. Especially these days. ;):tup:

Coming from a guy who’s mom died at 55. Smoked since 13.

Today is day 46 without cigarettes, have not even had a puff. I've tried quitting so many times, and even made it for a year and half at one point, but in the past I've still always had a smoke here and there. It has not been an easy time, but I decided it was time to give it up for good. My wife is very happy with this decision, my son doesn't care (yet), and I'm feeling good about it.

I smoked full time since I was 15 (43 now) so it really was high time to give it up. The days felt really long at first but I'm starting to get used to the new normal. Still have a lot of cravings (mostly mental by now) and those won't be going away any time soon I'm sure.

Anyway, thought I'd share, I know there's more out there that have quit, are, or want to.
Wow congrats bro, god bless you !!!

Quick update, today marks 13 weeks since I quit cigarettes. Missing them less and less every day, though there are still moments where the urge hits pretty hard. Having some extra stress in my life hasn't helped, but so far so good!

Congrats & hang in there, the first 3-4 months is your body breaking the physical addiction. After that it's all mental. Even though I've been cigarette free for 11 years I still get the occasional thought when I'm in a high stress situation.

It's a winnable situation, the benefits to you overall health are worth the struggle. Once you start feeling the way you feel without the cigarettes you can say, why would I ever want to go back to feeling that bad.

:cool

Congrats & hang in there, the first 3-4 months is your body breaking the physical addiction. After that it's all mental. Even though I've been cigarette free for 11 years I still get the occasional thought when I'm in a high stress situation.

It's a winnable situation, the benefits to you overall health are worth the struggle. Once you start feeling the way you feel without the cigarettes you can say, why would I ever want to go back to feeling that bad.

:cool

Thanks! It’s always good to get encouragement from others that have been through the battle.

@hdgeno congrats on quitting!

My current streak will be ten years on Jan 1, 2021. I'd quit before (sometimes for a few years), but always came back. When I was smoking, it negatively affected my life in so many ways, beyond the obvious health risks. E.g., I wouldn't go to the movies because I couldn't bear not smoking for two hours, and I dreaded flying for the same reason. It frankly affected my job performance, too.

What I credit the most with keeping me quit is (1) meeting my future non-smoker wife a week after I quit and (2) no longer socializing with my smoker friends as often.

Am also here to say that while I doubted I would ever be totally over smoking, I can say that I am now and have been for the past few years. And that aside from my diminished brain capacity (blame the kids!), I'm much healthier than I was before I quit.

Now if I could just quit my poker and poker chip addiction lol...

I've never been a smoker, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've always thought the one benefit to smoking was that the smokers walk away for 5 minutes to destress...

Try going to a short walk or something when you feel stressed. Hopefully that will bring you some inner peace and help you continue to resist smoking.

Great job so far, we're all rooting for you.

I've never been a smoker, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've always thought the one benefit to smoking was that the smokers walk away for 5 minutes to destress...

Try going to a short walk or something when you feel stressed. Hopefully that will bring you some inner peace and help you continue to resist smoking.

Great job so far, we're all rooting for you.

That’s actually one of the reasons it’s tough to quit man, so I’ve actually done that one or twice. Step back for a couple minutes seems to help the brain reset.

Now if I could just quit my poker and poker chip addiction lol...
iu.gif

Congrats @hdgeno ;)

Smoked for 35 years.

I Had pains in my chest. Went to hospital. My bet was I has lung cancer. After 2 days the doctor came and said I had a light case of COPD and recommended I stop smoking.

Stopped right then. It's been a couple years and I love to smoke. But I chose not to at this point.

My mom smoked for 35 years and quit. She quit 30 years ago and has a bad case of COPD... different for everybody..

Keep up the great work!
I quit years ago after I started developing a heartburn and reflux that was awful. Thought it was my diet but it ended up being the cigarettes. The relapses I had brought the heartburn right back.
I really loved to smoke and to this day, after a few beers, the craving can be intense.
Hang in there!

Congratulations, every hour is a milestone at first, as the hours turn to days, days turn to weeks and the weeks to months the milestones will continue. Quitting is an accomplishment you will not forget. August 7 is my quit day, it's been a little more than 8 years but still celebrate it and remember it well.

I wish you strong will and great success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom