Quick poll!!!?? (1 Viewer)

Chipman22

High Hand
Reaction score
I just put up a post about buying a cash set of Pharaohs and you guys gave me some awesome advice.

But I've just been given an option to get nevada Jack seramic chips

Sooooooooo. What to go for!!!!!!

China clay Pharaohs or the ceramic nevada Jack's

Two completely different types of chips and handling feel. As you'll likely read from every single one of us here, get samples and see what you prefer.

Or, just skip to the inevitable and buy some Paulsons... :p

Hi guys I already have some genuine ceramics and a sample set of the Pharaohs.

But just so lost. And one day. When I Rob a bank. I will buy paulsons.... Or at least a CPC set

+1 for getting samples.
I would look at the DDLM ceramics as well, I haven’t sampled them but lots of people seem to like them.

And also the Royals if you’re into 43mm

edit: that’s dia de los muertos from br poker and the Royals from Apache

Not to kill action on anyone's deal but if you do get the China Clay Pharaohs get close up pics of the set. I believe the second manufactuing run of these were prone to flaking and chipping. I've encountered this with two separate sets of CC Pharaohs. You shuffle for a while and you have a small accumulation of chip flakes next to your stack.

My vote is NJs.

Ceramics all the way - definitely get samples but china clays don't look as good or feel as good as ceramics in my opinion

I generally agree this opinion. From what I've seen here most chippers (many beginner ones included) move on from China Clays quite quickly. It may be a better strategy to wait and save up a little more to get a better quality chip from the start. And no, I don't mean you need to start with clay.

I generally agree this opinion. From what I've seen here most chippers (many beginner ones included) move on from China Clays quite quickly. It may be a better strategy to wait and save up a little more to get a better quality chip from the start. And no, I don't mean you need to start with clay.
Though one thing I learned too slowly and I am sure many who got serious into the hobby would agree with is that you rarely lose if you buy direct from @TheChipRoom sales. And always buy more than you think you need!

One sentiment I see a lot is that you are essentially renting the sets, as you can sell and recoup most if not more than you bought for. If I was in the US vs Canada I would buy a lot more, shipping/exchange/etc prevent me from doing this (that and I dont like to sell chips).

If you can buy direct from Jim's sales and buy something that others seem to be interested in, then you are that much further ahead.

And I would only buy China Clay's if you plan to delete your account and remove this site from your browser immediately after you receive them. Otherwise you are bound to find an expensive chip you *have* to have. Case in point, @Jeevansluck

Though one thing I learned too slowly and I am sure many who got serious into the hobby would agree with is that you rarely lose if you buy direct from @TheChipRoom sales. And always buy more than you think you need!

One sentiment I see a lot is that you are essentially renting the sets, as you can sell and recoup most if not more than you bought for. If I was in the US vs Canada I would buy a lot more, shipping/exchange/etc prevent me from doing this (that and I dont like to sell chips).

If you can buy direct from Jim's sales and buy something that others seem to be interested in, then you are that much further ahead.

And I would only buy China Clay's if you plan to delete your account and remove this site from your browser immediately after you receive them. Otherwise you are bound to find an expensive chip you *have* to have. Case in point, @Jeevansluck

Of course, this is an ideal place to be in, to be a new chipper and happen to be able to participate in one of Jim's offerings, and also have enough money to do so and some luck in the timing. But very few new chippers have this perfect storm of circumstance (mainly in the budget field), so will need more options and time to learn.

I did buy 2 China Clay sets, well after loading up on market priced Paulsons. o_O

I'm probably the worst example of what a new chipper should do.

Sadly, I've never known what it feels like to score in any of Jim's sales. Wish I did.

I already sold Jack $25s and lost quite a bit of money. Still have a bad taste in my mouth about it, but I was a fool for paying what I did then.

I personally love the Pharaohs design & feel. Ceramics just don't feel right to me I cant explain why. I vote the Pharaohs!!!
I'm with ya. I like CCs for the most part. Just the smell puts me off a bit. I still own some.

I actually have grown to dislike ceramics also. That said, I'm waiting for hybrid samples that are stuck in USA, unfortunately. Sunfly and Matsui 43mm samples. Excited to get a feel.

Samples samples sample!!!! In my opinion:

39mm CCs < Nevada Jacks Ceramics < Royals 43mm < DDLM 43mm Ceramics

Lots to consider: feel, sound, durability, the ability to customize easily, etc.

Get samples.

I've always liked ceramics, but I've never cared for the NJ Skulls -- don't like the design, and don't like the texture. Lots better ceramic options out there imo.

China clays have their place too, and in terms of design, the Pharaoh's are one of the better options imo.

Personally, I'd discard both choices and splurge for a set of 43mm hybrids.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom