Questions on weighted and unweighted colors CPC (1 Viewer)

rebels9999

High Hand
Reaction score
I’m working on designing my CPC chips now (have samples arriving soon). I’ve done research and searched but I’m not finding clear cut answers and thought I’d ask here...

What is the risk to mix and match unweighted base with weighted and unweighted spots or vice-versa? What should I really really avoid and what are best practices in creating a set in regards to colors and spots? Should I stick with all weighted or unweighted colors for the whole set or is mix and matching ok? I keep seeing mixed answers. Thanks!

Be very careful. One wrong decision has been known to end in spontaneous decapitation.

Just kidding, of course. I don’t understand what "risk" you are referring to. Get what you like, that makes you happy, as long as it helps smooth the play.

Ha! By risk I guess I am talking about chips being the same thickness and indistinguishable in weight as you handle them. I’ve read horror stories about spots looking bad and defective if you mix/match and I just wasn’t sure what the best practices were. Thanks!

I considered doing a set sometime ago.

Got my hands on a complete sample set. I would go with one or the other instead of mixing the two for your base colors.

Stacks of 10 chips.

PXL_20210117_220648526.jpg
PXL_20210117_220659146.jpg
PXL_20210117_220634942.jpg
PXL_20210117_220747977.jpg

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/willies-treasure-trove.12/

Colors can be found there.

I'd say the bigger factor between weighted and unweighted is the brass flake. Visually you can see the difference but the difference in the actual weight goes unnoticed.

My sets have a mix of weighted and unweighted and you honestly can’t feel the difference. I think thickness issues between chips were more pronounced on certain molds (diamond square?) rather than any particular color.
Thickness issues on DSQ?? :nailbite:

Say it ain't so! I'm already nervous enough about my inbound order with all the split edge talk going around lately...

Say it ain't so! I'm already nervous enough about my inbound order with all the split edge talk going around lately...
Yeah, I think DSQ is up there on the list for stack varience.

Saw it with my scrowns too.

Yap. You can even see it on my stack pr0n. Not fan of it, but for a 80 years old mold I just had to accept it.

Yap. You can even see it on my stack pr0n. Not fan of it, but for a 80 years old mold I just had to accept it.
That’s too bad, I had no idea that was an issue. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the consistency of minty Paulsons. Also had no idea that the DSQ was so old!

I’ll have to go re-check your photos.

Problem is, CPCs don't wear that much :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Here are my stacks next to each other, I didn't consider height differences when placing them on the table so it's random:

20210213_160222.jpg 20210213_160301.jpg

Doesn't bother me, except for the snug racks that will need to be adapted.

There was also talk in the other thread about the increased risk of having split spots when using unweighted base colours with lots of weighted edge spot colours, but I'm not sure if that was a definitive observation or not. (I, myself, would probably not care too much about these this issue.)

When you get the samples, try handling a stack of the unweighted chips with an equally sized stack of weighted chips. Note if you feel the weight difference, and if you do, if it means anything to you.

Remember there is also variance between individual colors, and between individual chips.

Also notice if you feel the brass flakes or lack thereof may influence your choice. They are most noticeable on the rolling edge.

Many, possibly most, people here mix weighted and unweighted colors either undiscriminately or to some degree. I probably wouldn't, not so much because of weight issues, but more because of flakes or because the color concept wouldn't make it natural.

there are stack height differences with DSQ, but it isn’t enough to effect playability.

my $5, $25, & $100 are all the same. $1 chip is 1/2 a chip shorter in in stacks of 20 than the other 3 denominations.
1FF3F325-A4B0-4740-81DC-F2348EA12D97.jpeg

About a half a chip varience between the worst offenders, nothing to deter me from another order or anything.

Here are my stacks next to each other, I didn't consider height differences when placing them on the table so it's random:

there are stack height differences with DSQ, but it isn’t enough to effect playability.
When I received my FDL order almost 4 years ago, I too noticed a small height variance but I was able to remedy this by weeding out a few noticeably thin chips. On these chips, i noticed the mould impression was very shallow and the chip surface on the outer rim had almost no texture. When I receive my add-on order in the coming months I'll take pics if I notice the same thing.

When I received my FDL order almost 4 years ago, I too noticed a small height variance but I was able to remedy this by weeding out a few noticeably thin chips. On these chips, i noticed the mould impression was very shallow and the chip surface on the outer rim had almost no texture. When I receive my add-on order in the coming months I'll take pics if I notice the same thing.
sounds like there was not enough material in the mold to press a decent chip.

About a half a chip varience between the worst offenders, nothing to deter me from another order or anything.

Also I feel there is a strong chance that with some wear it will be less noticable.

Problem is, CPCs don't wear that much :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 635413 View attachment 635415

Doesn't bother me, except for the snug racks that will need to be adapted.

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Can't say I'm a huge fan of uneven stacks personally, but not much I can do about it at this point. My bigger concern remains the split spots atm. I guess I'll see in a few days how everything looks.

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Can't say I'm a huge fan of uneven stacks personally, but not much I can do about it at this point. My bigger concern remains the split spots atm. I guess I'll see in a few days how everything looks.
No problem! I'll send you my address so I can take a look at them as well.

They're gonna come out great, can't wait to see them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom