Question . . .

Milo013

Flush
Reaction score
I have several friends and acquaintances coming by on Saturday night for a "Guy's Night" in honour of my Brother-in-law's upcoming wedding. This is meant to be a fun night of cards and general male BS'ing.

The question is this. I am expecting about a dozen to 14 people. A few have commented that they'd like to come, but are not really interested in poker. So, do I set up my second table in the hopes they all say "what the hell?" Or, do I stick with the one table and, if necessary, bring up the second one afterwards?

Adding the second table is EASY beforehand, but a bit of a pain to do in the middle of the action.

Thoughts?

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Reaction score
Low stakes game? Whats the buy in?

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Reaction score
Not relevant to the question, imo . . . but it's a nickel dime game with a $20.00 buy-in.

I think its relevant but I didn't elaborate more to show why IMO. I see it like this... If its a just fun no money game or low stakes like you said, I would set up the the extra table. Those few who commented about not really wanting to play poker may play if its just $20 to be part of the group. If it were a higher stakes games, then I probably would not set it up. They may feel it's too much money and/or they are not that good at it to play. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it don't. :)

Milo013

Flush
Reaction score
Okay . . . I was sort of thinking along the same lines. Set up the beginner table for the noobs to goof around on, and have a second table for the more serious degenerates, move everyone to the one table after the "kiddies go (bust) to bed and play some real cards for an hour or two.

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan!

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
You could always set up the 2nd table as another game, as in bring other types of games like board games or other card games that everyone's familiar with.

dennis63

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd set up both tables. Some people who say they are not interested may be reluctant or uncertain. Once they watch your main table for a bit, they may get into the spirit and play a bit.

Milo013

Flush
Reaction score
I think I am going to be setting up the second table . . . my numbers might be as high as 17 tomorrow night, based on a few e-mails this morning. Even if a few DON'T play, that is still more than enough for two tables of 6-max play, (or whatever).

Looks like I am moving some furniture in the morning.

Milo013

Flush
Reaction score
LOL . . . so, after setting up the second table, and buying enough snacks, etc. to accommodate 14 players, we ended up with a full table of 10 players, who declined the option of more individual space in order to have a single game going for the night. All buy-ins were for the max. ($20), and there were about half a dozen reloads. WE played one orbit of PLO before the newbs opted to go back to NLHE. Biggest hand in the PLO orbit was my FH over FH for a pot of about $40.00. For a table with three first time players, no one seemed shy about splashing around. Final tally was a 6 hour game that netted yours truly a profit of $80.00. Not too shabby for a $0.25/$0.50 game . . .

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Reaction score
That awesome! I like playing PLO. So was the extra table just used for the snacks then? :cool:

Top Bottom