Question for .50/.50 NLH games (1 Viewer)

TheDonkeyKong

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I host a .50/.50 home game 2-3 times a month. Usually for the most part it is all buddies with the occasional friends friend who comes to play. The group has a lot of beginner/average players. It’s a great group and is always a solid time. I was curious on what sizes other .50/.50 games use, in terms of opening up the pot, straddles, 3 bets etc. With my groups of players, some don’t even pre flop raise monsters. They are happy with limp calling. Some will open up the pot in the range of $2-$3.50. With 3 bets I find there aren’t many unless me or one other guy are making it more, usually around $8 give or take. Straddles do happen often. We allow straddles, doubles, triples, as long as they are doubling each time. Usually this comes out later in the night when we’ve all had several drinks. I want to know in your game how big or small does it get? What sizes are used or is it all over the place?

Our .25/.50 game sees a lot of limp/calling, but there are some players who will raise pre-flop. Standard raises are anywhere from $1.50-$3 I would say. 3-betting is rare, but when it does happen, it’s 3-4x the initial raise.

Most opens from our 0.25/0.50 game is in the 1.50-3 range, 3-6bb.
Our .25/.50 game sees a lot of limp/calling, but there are some players who will raise pre-flop. Standard raises are anywhere from $1.50-$3 I would say. 3-betting is rare, but when it does happen, it’s 3-4x the initial raise.
Do your players re buy frequently throughout the night if felted?

Do your players re buy frequently throughout the night if felted?

Most guys will rebuy at least once if felted. But, the limpers/callers are the guys who regularly buy in short compared to the players who tend to raise pre-flop or 3-bet. We don't have a minimum buy-in, but most guys will initially buy-in for $40-$60. Those limpers/callers tend to rebuy from $20-$40. But, they are there to see as many flops as possible for as cheap as possible. I would guess most home games with these stakes have a lot of these types of players.

The .25c/.50c $50 max I host is like many others, limpers and cheap flops a plenty. I try my best to only play hands that are opened by myself or otherwise, outside of playing in the blinds. My standard open is 3bb, plus 1bb per limper(s) before me, up to 6bb. 3bet is almost always 3x the previous raise.

Our $0.25/$0.50 game has grown to the point that a $5 open raise pre-flop might get you 4 or more callers. $7-$8 may get you 1 or 2 callers. It plays close to a $1/$2 game.

sizing at my .25/.50 game is usually all over the place. Most people will open with $3-$8

So this is an oldish thread, but I am just now seeing it...

Primary purpose of a preflop raise is to limit the field down to one or two opponents. Adjust your raise sizing until you find this point. If you CANNOT find this amount for any reasonable sizing....well it's time to play a different strategy.

Most small stakes games I have played in, this number is somewhere between 6-10 big blinds. Of course, the more limpers before it gets to you, the more you have to add on to get the job done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom