Question About T-nuts in Table Rail (1 Viewer)

Substituted

Waiting List
Reaction score
I’m in the planning and materials gathering phase of building a raised rail poker table and have seen a lot of people suggest using t-nuts to secure the rail rather than wood screws as it would make it easier to remove the rail if needed.

I’m using the plans from BYOPT (I know they’re not the best but I feel like I’ve already invested too much time and planning around them to change now) and they just show the build using screws so I want to make sure I would be modifying this correctly.

Instead of using a wood screw to screw piece A into piece D, I would need to drill a hole through A, D, and C, and have a bolt coming in through the bottom and screwing in to the t nut on top of C?

Also, is this going to be difficult? I have zero prior woodworking experience and am just planning to rely on measuring a ton and taking my time to balance out my lack of experience. Thanks.

What you have listed above is correct.
Line all your pieces up and clamp them in place.
Counter sink a hole for the t-nut to fit in.
I like to use a long scrap bolt to bolt from the bottom of the table to draw the t-nut down into the top surface piece. That way you know your finish bolt will line up perfectly when you go to install it. Also make sure and use a scrap piece of wood as a "washer" so when you draw the t-nut into your rail the bolt head doesn't crush into your table bottom.

Instead of placing t nut in C, I'd place it on the top of D before assembling the rail. While it really shouldn't ever come out, it definitely won't if sandwiched between C and D. Still make sure to line everything up and clamp before drilling all of the holes to ensure everything will line up once assembled.

If adding countersink on underside for bolt heads, be careful not to countersink too far, as this will increase how far through the tnut the bolt passes. If it goes too far, you may feel it through the rail foam.

This was what I went with. Even though you use t-bolts for the rail attachment to the table, you still screw the rail assembly together (the part that gets the vinyl).

64D17CEA-E746-4945-9D71-CE30AD7C7F5F.jpeg

E446DB0D-154A-404F-BEC9-24D2DD8CE976.jpeg

Problem solved
Yup. Thank you for the suggestion of using glue with the t-nuts. I followed that advice after reading your table build thread and there is no way those t-nuts will pop out once hammered in and glued. And I highly recommend Gorilla Glue too.

Yup. Thank you for the suggestion of using glue with the t-nuts. I followed that advice after reading your table build thread and there is no way those t-nuts will pop out once hammered in and glued. And I highly recommend Gorilla Glue too.

It also helps to “smooth out” the depression caused by the tnut and minimizes any perception of the tnut through whatever type of felt or upholstery you install over it.

Reactions: 72o

Attachments

• EA8503F1-909F-4D90-A6A5-32664A3BCA7C.png
    EA8503F1-909F-4D90-A6A5-32664A3BCA7C.png
    714.1 KB · Views: 258

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom