Cash Game Question about leveling the playing field in a cash game

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
Reminds me of a game I played in once. $.25/.50 NL Hold em/Omaha mix. $20 MAX buy in. When you busted, the rebuy chips came from whoever had the biggest stack, who would then put the cash in his pocket.
Sounds like this and the OP are playing with inexperienced players that are used to watching the WSOP on TV, with constant all-ins.

They want to stand up, wait for the cards to fall, and all the drama that follows.
Each player.
Multiple times per night.

nlhenerd

High Hand
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the "50% of max stack" or "as much as the max stack" rule, but I prefer to run my games with a fixed 100bb max buy in. Mirrors Vegas and keeps the game size in check,

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Sounds like this and the OP are playing with inexperienced players that are used to watching the WSOP on TV, with constant all-ins.

They want to stand up, wait for the cards to fall, and all the drama that follows.
Each player.
Sadly, people are sheep. They do what that see others do. It's how we learn as infants, and our mimicking mannerisms develop throughout life.

A lot of people used to gripe about the NFL's "no celebration" rules, but having been an announcer for Pee-Wee football games, there is something very, very wrong with seeing a 6 year old taunting another 6 year old after scoring his 7th touchdown with a 63-0 lead. Done even get me started on what the 6 year-old cheerleaders where doing :sick:.

So while I haven't witnessed the "standing all-in drama" since the mid 2000s, I am familiar with the practice. I quit going to that game after 2 events, though more because of terrible blind structures than the over-the-top theatre - which was always followed by a whooping victory lap after hitting the "miracle" 12-outer.

Last edited:

Toaster

Sitting Out
Reaction score

Each player.
How did you come to this conclusion? Also, it must be 15 or so years since it was commonplace to watch WSOP on TV.

I don't think what you've said is a particularly fair or accurate description of me or my players. It is true that they were inexperienced. Over the course of the evening, I went all-in twice: one was with a strong but vulnerable hand, and another was after I flopped trip kings in a 4-bet pot with a lot of broadway straight draws on the board (other guy folded--we ran it out, he would of hit the straight). I believe there was one other all-in (Player 1) which was called by Player 2. Player 2's other losses came from calling bets that put him all in.

Overall, me and my players are inexperienced, but we aren't 14 years old. Please be careful with gross over-generalizations, especially those that belittle other people, people whom you know little to nothing about.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Toaster

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Sadly, people are sheep. They do what that see others do. It's how we learn as infants, and our mimicking mannerisms develop throughout life.

A lot of people used to gripe about the NFL's "no celebration" rules, but having been an announcer for Pee-Wee football games, there is something very, very wrong with seeing a 6 year old taunting another 6 year old after scoring his 7th touchdown with a 63-0 lead. Done even get me started on what the 6 year-old cheerleaders where doing :sick:.

So while I haven't witnessed the "standing all-in drama" since the mid 2000s, I am familiar with the practice. I quit going to that game after 2 events (though more because of terrible blind structures than the over-the-top theatre - which was always followed by a whooping victory lap after hitting the "miracle" 12-outer.
I respect your apparent poker prowess, but am struggling to understand your analogy. People wanting to play exciting poker (I mean, after all, the WSOP era of poker was exciting) and/or misunderstanding poker is reasonably easy to understand. Teaching young boys not to gloat or making sure young girls aren't over-sexualized seems like a bit of a tangent for this poker forum, yeah?

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I respect your apparent poker prowess, but am struggling to understand your analogy. People wanting to play exciting poker (I mean, after all, the WSOP era of poker was exciting) and/or misunderstanding poker is reasonably easy to understand. Teaching young boys not to gloat or making sure young girls aren't over-sexualized seems like a bit of a tangent for this poker forum, yeah?
Perhaps.

However, there is a difference between the excitement and celebration of winning, and the over-the-top dramatics we see on TV. Excitement is natural. I often cheer when my opponent hits his one-outer, because I can feel the joy, even when it costs me money.

However, if you get up from the table and high-five everyone in the room you are delaying the game and gloating. Therefore, I find my comparison apt.

Not that I suspect your group did the whole celebration-gloating thing. By asking questions on the forum, I understand you are identifying and looking to resolve problems in your events. That leads to a better experience for everyone, and will help your game grow - which can be a task, as much of your OP has been since asked, answered, and derailed. Yet you are still reading, looking for tidbits of useful information. :tup:

Top Bottom