Quarter-pie tourney set? (2 Viewers)

Just thought of one more comment Psy... I think it's totally a matter of personal preference here but to me, when all the chips have the same spot design, I like to have the Bounty chip a little different since I don't see it as a 'playing' chip per se and it's easily spotted among the others... You could use either 1/4Pie+414 or 1/4Pie+412:

8F7IPla.png

Set is great as is, just a little food for thought...

I love them but, of my three tournament sets, this set gets the most complaints that the chips are hard to tell apart. This is particularly true if you have color-blind players. Just something to keep in mind.

L

Beautiful set, Leonard, I like them. But I can see where the confusion comes from. At a glance, it's hard to say which color a given chip is. When I glance at the 100, 500, or 1000, my brain's reflexive response is "not green," but doesn't tell me what color it actually is. So they all feel like "other" until I think about it.

Psypher's chips each stay more tightly in a single color and tonal range, and have only two colors instead of three. It means there's less visual interest/complexity per chip, but it also means they are more easily grouped/distinguished at a glance.

Just thought of one more comment Psy... I think it's totally a matter of personal preference here but to me, when all the chips have the same spot design, I like to have the Bounty chip a little different since I don't see it as a 'playing' chip per se and it's easily spotted among the others... You could use either 1/4Pie+414 or 1/4Pie+412:

Set is great as is, just a little food for thought...

I'm a little hesitant to change up the spot pattern, but I'm also not completely averse to it and I do kinda like the design on the left. Instead of changing the spots, though, I'm leaning towards this idea that was proposed to me...

Black Bounty.png

I'd be very tempted to move the blue chip into the $500 slot, and the orange chip into the $1000 slot (common for tourney T1000 chips) -- simply because I think those are the two best-looking chips in the set, and I'd want them in larger quantities and in play longer. I'd probably stick with red $5000 (another great chip color combo) and switch to yellow $25Ks and purple Bounties (although yellow could easily move into the $5000 slot or Bounty position, and purple could easily serve as the $25K),.

Could also go with:
green 25
blue 100
red 500
orange 1000
gray 5000
yellow 25K
purple Bounty

Just trying to get more play out of the blue, red, and orange chips. That bottom row rocks.

Definitely like the altered Bounty inlay, as a way to set those chips apart from the rest.

I'd be very tempted to move the blue chip into the $500 slot, and the orange chip into the $1000 slot (common for tourney T1000 chips) -- simply because I think those are the two best-looking chips in the set, and I'd want them in larger quantities and in play longer. I'd probably stick with red $5000 (another great chip color combo) and switch to yellow $25Ks and purple Bounties (although yellow could easily move into the $5000 slot or Bounty position, and purple could easily serve as the $25K),.

Could also go with:
green 25
blue 100
red 500
orange 1000
gray 5000
yellow 25K
purple Bounty

Just trying to get more play out of the blue, red, and orange chips. That bottom row rocks.

I'm a fan of swapping the orange and yellow. Yellow is my least favorite, so I think that's a makes-sense move. I can also see moving the orange to the more traditional 5k spot if the yellow is removed from the 1k.

I dig purple and the 25k chip won't be used as frequently, so purple stays at 5k or lower.

If I were to switch up the colors, I'm thinking it would look something like this...

green 25
blue 100
red 500
purple 1000
orange 5000
grey 25K
yellow Bounty

I'll be able to get a better idea once the color samples arrive later this week.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm a fan of swapping the orange and yellow. Yellow is my least favorite, so I think that's a makes-sense move. I can also see moving the orange to the more traditional 5k spot if the yellow is removed from the 1k.

I dig purple and the 25k chip won't be used as frequently, so purple stays at 5k or lower.

If I were to switch up the colors, I'm thinking it would look something like this...

green 25
blue 100
red 500
purple 1000
orange 5000
grey 25K
yellow Bounty

I'll be able to get a better idea once the color samples arrive later this week.

Decisions, decisions...

Blue in the 100 spot is a winner. But I'd try and seperate the red and purple (might have issues might not)

Id go
25 - green
100 - blue
500 - purple
1000 - orange
5000 - grey
25k - red
Yellow bounty.

But any combustion with the colors you've chosen will look great.

Sooo...got the color samples today, played around for a few hours, and I've got my colors dialed in.

And boy, did I go in a different direction than I thought I would!

Tournament Set - Traditional v6.png

Ignore the printed denoms - their position indicates the denom in this mock-up, not the inlay. I just used color-matched inlays for looks.

Any last minute thoughts before I lock these in tomorrow?

Let me just add that for anyone considering a custom CPC set, don't dare build it without physical color samples in front of you. Just don't. So much changes when you have the actual chips in front of your own eyes, in different lighting, and in different combinations. The computer screen doesn't do the process justice. Good, color-representative photos don't do the process justice. Nothing can take the place of having the chips right there in front of you and giving you the ability to put combinations next to each other, truly compare them, and see what pops for you.

Big thanks to Rich_Mahogany and ophiuchus_99 for photos and samples...y'all made this process immeasurably easier!

Looks like you have a real winner with these. Can't wait to see the final results. I think that 1000 chip is going to be the best of the set

Looks like you have a real winner with these. Can't wait to see the final results. I think that 1000 chip is going to be the best of the set

In person, the run from 500 to 25k looks pretty damn good to my eye! Hard for me to pick individual fav's, but I'd probably say the 5k or the 1k/5k combo.

Thank god that CPC is still around for the chipping community, but damn is their color palette limiting!!! Sooo many of their red/orange/yellow hues are so similar...so few bright colors...it's *really* hard to put a set like this together without getting chips to be too similar or reusing tones.

Final thought: if the inlay didn't have a quartered shield, I could run with the random rotation on the chips. But with the quartered shield on the inlay, my eye really begs for the chip to be aligned.

Whichever you choose, it makes for a beautiful set. Enjoy!

(In for sample set if available.)

Final thought: if the inlay didn't have a quartered shield, I could run with the random rotation on the chips. But with the quartered shield on the inlay, my eye really begs for the chip to be aligned.

Whichever you choose, it makes for a beautiful set. Enjoy!

(In for sample set if available.)

At first that's what I thought, too, Mental - particularly with the white inlay. Funny thing, though - when I use a black inlay instead, my eye focuses much less on the pies and more on the inlay. I do also tend to agree w/BG that if these chips were aligned that it would have too much of a patterned look, somewhat similar to a color sample or crash test dummy insignia.

Ultimately, though, none of that matters. The real determining factor for random alignment is the fact that placement of all inlays won't be perfect. If you go for vertical alignment with these, if the inlay is just N/S/E/W of center (or worse), it would throw off the aligned effect of the pie and shield, and tilt the crap out of me - and since these are handmade, we know some would fall into this category. Just look at some of the samples they send out! Soooo...random alignment it is. :)

Black ftw!

This is a gorgeous looking set. They will be fawesome on the flesh!

Agree that the black inlays look nice, but I think the text and color-matched shields look better on the white inlays -- in particular, "The Armory" text reads much better on white. Definitely like the bounty chip with different inlay color.

Could always go with black inlays on side A and white inlays on side B. But I'd probably pick white.

Order placed and paid! #nervous #excited #AreTheyDoneYet

Still deciding on black or white inlays; still leaning towards black, but BG's point is well-taken.

That's great man! I hope they exceed your expectations, as nice as that set is on screen I'm sure they will!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom