Putting a table tennis top over a Barrington? (1 Viewer)

navels

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting a ping pong table for the family and would prefer something that stores easily. Seems there are "conversion tops" that are made to be put on top of a pool or dining room table. E.g.,

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...top-21butupltblcnvrsnstg/21butupltblcnvrsnstg

The dimension are regulation: 9ft x 5ft and come with padding to protect the table. My Barrington dimensions are 7ft x 3.5ft so the topper will fit well over the poker table. Any ping pong fanatics here who can tell me if this would be a reasonable setup? Thanks!

I’d worry that the Barrington legs weren’t strong enough to handle the abuse they’d take as a ping pong table. Can the Barrington support the weight of someone putting most of their body weight on the table?

Ah that's a good point about weight. Can't seem to find the weight listed of that Butterfly top but it seems comparable ones are between 85 and 105 lbs.

If you're just looking to pick up a fun activity and play a little ping pong in the basement, then the topper you linked to would be just fine.

However, if you're looking to seriously get into Table Tennis, I would say it's a waste of money. To get serious about table tennis you're going to want at least 22mm table thickness, though ideally regulation. 25mm is standard and there is a big difference in bounce and play between a standard table and a 18mm - 20mm basement table. 22mm gets you close enough, though that the play is very similar to regulation tables.

I think the best way to describe it in poker terms would be speed cloth, vs. neoprene, vs. felt. Do they all work? Yes. But some are clearly better than others and if you're serious about making a proper poker table, you'll use one over the others.

I’d worry that the Barrington legs weren’t strong enough to handle the abuse they’d take as a ping pong table. Can the Barrington support the weight of someone putting most of their body weight on the table?
Oh I'm now understanding that you mean people leaning on the table while playing. Hmmmmmm.

Oh I'm now understanding that you mean people leaning on the table while playing. Hmmmmmm.
1645386368583.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom