Putting a pool table on a covered patio? (2 Viewers)

BHK25

Two Pair
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here knows if it's okay to put a regular slate pool table on a covered patio. Since it's covered no rain or anything would get to it, and I would plan to keep a dining cover over it when not in use along with another cover if the weather acts up. Just looking for any advice. You'd think there would be billiards forums for this, but I've had no luck!

I'm no expert but I'd think mold and/or warping could be an issue even if it's protected from direct rain. However, I've always wanted a pool table but the gf says it'll take up too much room, so I've considered getting one for the backyard also.

I had one on a covered patio for several years. I had a special heavy vinyl cover made for it... longer than a typical cover. It held up well. When I moved to my new house, I was able to put it in the garage. I don't notice any playability issues with it. It is an 8' "bar style" commercial table. So its construction might be a bit more robust than a typical home table. Mind you, the climate I live in is rather arid.

That being said... if you're considering putting a pool table outside... its not likely that you plan to host highly competative events on a Brunswick Gold Crown.

uplate2.jpg

BB POOL.jpg

The Brady's were able to pull it off in their Astro turf yard, and in the garage at night. Everything went great until Bobby beat Mike's boss in a 3 game match. Then like Oliver, the table just disappeared!

I think Oliver went to hang out with Gazoo from the flintstones, Nicky and Alex from full house, Luke from Growing Pains, and Joey from Gimme a Break.
Ya I know too much about crap TV from the 80's.
1617218891710.png
1617219046902.png
1617219100679.png
1617219258595.png

After looking at house plans it seems that I may be able to put in an upstairs room (at least until we end up with a house of kids) Would 15x12 fit an 8ft table comfortably or would I need to go for the 7ft one like you see at bars? Seeing as I live in MS I'm assuming the humidity would make it a no go for the outside area. and I have a funny feeling that asking the wife to let me put it in the living room will not go over well.

After looking at house plans it seems that I may be able to put in an upstairs room (at least until we end up with a house of kids) Would 15x12 fit an 8ft table comfortably or would I need to go for the 7ft one like you see at bars? Seeing as I live in MS I'm assuming the humidity would make it a no go for the outside area. and I have a funny feeling that asking the wife to let me put it in the living room will not go over well.

Make sure there's enough room in the hallway/doorway/stairwell to get the pieces of slate through.

There is *no* billiard cloth that can provide consistent roll under high outdoor humidity.

BTW, azbilliards.com can provide just about everything you ever wanted to know about billiards.

An 8x4 needs at least 16x12, unless you're willing to play with short sticks for shots close to the rails.

Good luck with the house!

BTW, azbilliards.com can provide just about everything you ever wanted to know about billiards
I've spent some hours reading that forum. I LOL at it! Can you imagine:
  • A pool table isn't "playable" unless it's absolute top of the line, same as the pros use
  • If you get any other pool table, it needs to be modified (e.g. extending the rails to make the pockets smaller)
  • Cues costing "only" a few hundred bucks are shunned.
  • Regarding cues, the only way to go, really, is full custom.
I'm glad we have none of that here at PCF :sneaky:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom