Putting a Betting Line on Speed Cloth (6 Viewers)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
I have a question for you other builders out there. If I wanted to put a betting line on speed cloth from YAT, how would I go about doing that? This is for a friend and we're trying to avoid custom printing. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thank you for any help.

If nobody comes up with a good method, how about two oval templates - one big open oval, and a smaller solid oval inside, creating a stencil of the betting line. Pin the smaller oval so it doesn't shift. Mask everything else off and use a spray paint (only from directly above, so none angles in under the masking.)

The paint shouldn't move after it sets, even if it gets wet. You can test on a piece of scrap.

I 'd stretch and apply the speed cloth before stenciling, because the lines will accentuate any small error in stretching it.

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a table with plain suited speed cloth also. A jumbo sharpie would certainly work if you wanted to be highlighted in the fugly poker table thread.

Nothing wrong with a betting line drawn with a jumbo Sharpie, if it's done properly and black is the color you want it to be.

Fabric paint pens can also be used, but will wear off after time. Same with a spray-painted betting line.

Best bet is to just have it done by a professional (like Chan). Next best is probably to have it screen-printed at your local t-shirt shop.

Should establish a relationship with a local shop and it could help business if you offered graphics/betting lines

There was a thread on CT on how to do this with dye. You'd have to search the forum there. There are also dye pens you can purchase such as FabricMate and they come in colors.
Good Luck

Speedcloth lines:

Number of ruined cloths in failed attempts: Over/Under 2.5
Amount spent on doing it successfully yourself exceeds the cost of hiring a pro: EVEN
Achieves a non-fugly result on the first try: +195

For speed cloth I won't do anything with any type of paint or aerosol; there's just too much risk involved. However, I do sincerely thank you Kingzilla for finding that post for me. I think the buyer and I have moved past the idea of putting a betting line on the table anyway. Thank you to all for your help.

If you want to go dark, you could try iDye Poly Black dissolved in acetone. It's pretty cheap, and worth a try on an off-cut.

Speedcloth lines:

Number of ruined cloths in failed attempts: Over/Under 2.5
Amount spent on doing it successfully yourself exceeds the cost of hiring a pro: EVEN
Achieves a non-fugly result on the first try: +195

I guarantee I'd destroy one, or two.

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I think that's what the forums are for: to offer ideas we may know of and to share information. Some of those ideas I may not have tried personally but someone else may want to try them.
For speed cloth I won't do anything with any type of paint or aerosol; there's just too much risk involved. However, I do sincerely thank you Kingzilla for finding that post for me. I think the buyer and I have moved past the idea of putting a betting line on the table anyway. Thank you to all for your help.

I had to unbury this thread.
Has finally any type of paint (airbrush, marker, whatever) stood a chance of sticking to speed cloth?
If not, I wonder if a fine betting line could be stitched on that type of fabric.

I had to unbury this thread.
Has finally any type of paint (airbrush, marker, whatever) stood a chance of sticking to speed cloth?
If not, I wonder if a fine betting line could be stitched on that type of fabric.

I'd just look into buying a layout with a betting line, or buying a custom cloth. Doesn't sound like adding one has turned out well for anyone.

So, yes, it can be done with a paint marker (I used Edding 750 Gold with a 2-4mm round nose) and a lot of attention. Applied it twice.
Sure, would have been harder to do for a round table.
It is fairly decent - just short of ideal.
Any other method I asked about at T-shirt and fabric printing stores is not suitable. Either the paint would not really apply, since the cloth has already a teflon coating, or the cloth itself would burn... Or they "might be able" to do it, but wouldn't bother for a single piece of cloth.
I didn't bother to ask about stitching.
Here are pics of my custom dining table topper, made by a crafty friend. For my man cave, I 'll go with something more dedicated.

topper6.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Dammit! I knew I should have kept the scraps of SSC for testing... I was thinking of masking a line and using an airbrush with bleach to make a faded in betting line. Trash collection was today so all my scraps have gone.

So, yes, it can be done with a paint marker (I used Edding 750 Gold with a 2-4mm round nose) and a lot of attention. Applied it twice.
Sure, would have been harder to do for a round table.
It is fairly decent - just short of ideal.
Any other method I asked about at T-shirt and fabric printing stores is not suitable. Either the paint would not really apply, since the cloth has already a teflon coating, or the cloth itself would burn... Or they "might be able" to do it, but wouldn't bother for a single piece of cloth.
I didn't bother to ask about stitching.
Here are pics of my custom dining table topper, made by a crafty friend. For my man cave, I 'll go with something more dedicated.

View attachment 176743
Super cool and may try this out myself but will need to build a stencil or something out of cardboard first for sure !

View attachment 176744

One obvious mistake on that topper has been to place the cupholders on the side, rather than in front of players, something exacerbated by the fact that they 're raised (there would be no point to drill/destroy the table beneath to accommodate a topper).

Last edited:
One obvious mistake on that topper has been to place the cupholders on the side, rather than in front of players
I'd almost rather not play than be forced to play with a drink directly in front of me.

One's drink container should only be directly in front if drinking is all one is doing. If simultaneously doing anything else, it should be to the side, out of the way, and much less likely to be spilled or knocked over.

I'd almost rather not play than be forced to play with a drink directly in front of me.

One's drink container should only be directly in front if drinking is all one is doing. If simultaneously doing anything else, it should be to the side, out of the way, and much less likely to be spilled or knocked over.
If right next to your chest, it's impossible to knock it over with your arms.
Tall glasses / bottles are out of the question, of course. While playing poker, people should be drinking anything in whiskey glasses:D

I'd have to say that this is definitely a personal preference. I find it way easier to knock my drink over when it's to my side than when it's directly in front of me.

Cards are delivered directly in front of you. Cards are viewed directly in front of you. Bets are placed directly in front of you. Pots are delivered directly in front of you. Stacking chips happens directly in front of you.

Having a drink directly on front of you interferes with all of those things. Having to do any of them while avoiding an obstacle placed directly in front of you is a multiple-occurrence pita and an invitation/opportunity to knock it over or spill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom