Puppy with juvenile heart murmur (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Maybe our resident dog experts can answer a general question for me?

We're getting a new Boston terrier puppy.

The vet today said the 8 week old puppy has a 1/6 juvenile heart murmur. "Which is nothing to worry about and will go away."

After having 3 Bostons, all 3 having one form or another of heart issue, I'm a little worried.

My question is: How accurate is that statement? Are there times when a juvenile heart murmur could become something worse in the future?

*Disclaimer: I understand it's usually impossible to answer these types of questions. I'm asking if anyone can answer in general using facts / experience and that this in no way applies to my specific dog lol.

Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Most juvenile heart murmurs are innocent and resolve with age. Some juvenile murmurs are pathologic and are an indication of heart disease. It may be difficult to differentiate the two by auscultation alone. Since the murmur was graded as 1/6 it is more likely an innocent murmur. A cardiac ultrasound would be necessary for further diagnosis.

https://www.oradell.com/seriousness-of-heart-murmurs-in-puppies-and-kittens/

Most juvenile heart murmurs are innocent and resolve with age. Some juvenile murmurs are pathologic and are an indication of heart disease….
B1EBC332-0B93-43DC-B59D-30739FC7AD53.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom