Protocol for Tipping Dealers in High Stakes Games? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Been watching some high stakes hands on YouTube and I'm just curious: what's the protocol for tipping in high stakes ($100,000+ buyin) games? It doesn't look like they are tipping after hands. Is there an agreed upon "group tip" of sorts that all players commit to before the game? Is it understood that the dealer is "taken care of" by the house for these games? How does it work?

I’d assume it’s covered in the rake which is paid for ever half hour played!! More like a gratuity

Been watching some high stakes hands on YouTube and I'm just curious: what's the protocol for tipping in high stakes ($100,000+ buyin) games? It doesn't look like they are tipping after hands. Is there an agreed upon "group tip" of sorts that all players commit to before the game? Is it understood that the dealer is "taken care of" by the house for these games? How does it work?
You’ll often see on poker after dark that all the players will toss in $100-200 at the beginning of the session to be chopped amongst the 5-6 dealers for the session.

I have often wondered this but I wouldn’t consider anything you see on TV as having any relevance at all to real life. Do they even rake the game in Poker After Dark? Probably not because it’s a TV show and not a real game per se. From what I understand those people also make a sizable hourly wage to play with their own money. TV poker is mostly BS and designed for dramatic effect...like absurd amounts of chips and/or cash on the table.

Next time I’m at Borgata I will try to remember to ask a dealer this question since they host some ultra high stakes games. I’m thinking it’s not much more than low stakes. It’s not like tipping for food where it’s a percentage. That would be ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised if players keep some lower denomination chips in their stack just for tips.

Last edited:
I've often seen a toke put on by players in rotation, either by time or when the dealers push. In a 25/50NL game I've seen a $200 toke when the dealer pushes given by a single player, and then the "responsibility" moves to the next player when the dealer changes again.

Watching some of the higher stakes Live at the Bike games they mention it on occasion.

As mentioned they will rotate each player tipping the dealer as they leave the game giving more than enough to cover what they would have made for each hand being tipped.

I haven’t seen it in a while, but they used to do showdown hands too for a set amount and the winner would then pay everyone’s seat fee and the dealer tip for that 1/2 hour.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom