Protege Chips (1 Viewer)

Magnusbob

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this site and just became a member. I have always been interested in the Sidepot Protege poker chips that are now discontinued. How hard do you think it would be to collect a 300-500 count cash game set? (25c, $1, $5, $25 mostly).

Do they surface on eBay every so often? I have seen some posts, but it's seems rare to come across lower denominations.

Also, the group I play poker with regularly really enjoy using $2 denominations (we most often use my Archetype ceramic set. Are those nearly impossible to find?

Curious what people know about Protege. I appreciate any info.

Thanks.

25c, $1s, and $25s will be fairly easy to find. The $5s will be more of a challenge. $2s are almost unheard of. Once you get to the minimum requirements, you will be able to post a wanted add in the classified section to try and buy some.

FYI
Protege's had probably the worst quality control process in the history of chipping. There are different variants of each chip. It's going to be even harder if you want to put together a full set of matching chips.

https://discobeetlesoftware.github.io/ProtegeVariantGallery/

25c, $1s, and $25s will be fairly easy to find. The $5s will be more of a challenge. $2s are almost unheard of. Once you get to the minimum requirements, you will be able to post a wanted add in the classified section to try and buy some.

FYI
Protege's had probably the worst quality control process in the history of chipping. There are different variants of each chip. It's going to be even harder if you want to put together a full set of matching chips.

https://discobeetlesoftware.github.io/ProtegeVariantGallery/
Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I knew there were some manufacturing inconsistencies, but wow, it looks like they just winged every production run, truly amazing to have that many variations.

They don't come up for sale or auction very often, from what I've seen over the past couple of years. You may want to save yourself some time and heartache and trying for a different set of high end chips, which are both more plentiful and often cheaper than the current market value of Sidepots.

Thanks. I'm starting to realize that the quality control makes this even more challenging. Plus, the cost associated with collecting these is honestly on the border of not making it worth it. Maybe the right set will become available in the future... who knows. I really like the set and regret not buying some when I had the chance years ago. Thanks all.

Unfortunately these are not easily acquired, and yes alot of variations make the inlays mis matched. There is a thread dedicated to these with members who have sets. Perhaps in the future you may be able to pick up a set from someone who moves on (generally I don't see too many BCC owners let them go though)

Will go retrieve thread link and edit to post:

Thread 'The Protégé Thread' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-protégé-thread.22963/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom