Protecting your checking range (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Wanted to share this hand as I think it illustrates the concept pretty well.
This is from Ignition Zone 5NL. Anonymous 6-max so no reads or HUDs.
There are population tendencies that can be exploited though.
Just multi-tabling low stakes for fun so not capturing these hands in PT4 so the replayer is the Ignition replayer.

Hero and V are both deep. Hero is the effective stack with 274 BB. Folds to Hero in SB and Hero RFI with A8s. BB calls.

1649610430574.png

Flop favors the BB range but with a FD, Hero cbets 1/2 pot. V calls.

1649610560894.png

Hero makes the nut flush on the turn. Hero decides to X to protect his X range and also possibly induce. V X behind. :(

1649610622117.png

River is a blank so Hero overbets - this is polarizing: nuts or nothing and hopefully my turn X convinces V that I am on the nothing end of my range here.
Since V X back turn this could look like I am trying to steal the pot as it looks like V didnt make the flush.
I think this leverages my turn X to try and get called by a weaker hand here.

1649610673623.png

V obliges by jamming 300 BB!!

1649610740653.png

Hero snap calls and scoops. I think this is a good example of not playing in a straightforward manner. Most player who X this turn will not have made the flush, and certainly not the nut flush. Then we leverage this behavior to make it look like we are trying to steal the pot on the river after V X turn back. No we are lucky here IMHO that V had the K and thought it wise to jam, but I do think our overbet looks so fishy that it is likely to get calls from any made hand on this board. I wasnt hoping for or expecting a jam here, but that's Ignition!

1649610768486.png

Hero has little to no reason to engage in fancy plays on an anonymous site. Hero can't be exploited by observant players - they have no specific idea what Hero's checking range is. Hero has only a population read on villain, which seems hardly enough to make tricky, lower EV plays. There is some merit in discussing the "best" line. Perhaps the tricky line is the best EV?

Hero can't protect his checking range on this site because no one has any way to know that Hero sometime checks the nut hand rather than bet. The concept in valid, even critical, in games where the villains and Hero know each other well. But on this sort of site, the strategy can't be implemented.

Of course the results were wonderful. Congratulations -=- DrStrange

Population bets turn with the nut flush at frequencies approaching 100%
Hero's range generally = population range in game IMHO, or so villains should/will assume
I think based on population tendencies the combination of X turn/overbet river will look like a bluff and get more money than betting turn
I think in a live game this is exactly the type of turn X that will protect one's X range
Maybe more of a raw exploit vs population tendencies in this specific anonymous game

That is one helluva shove!
Yeah shoving with a bluff-catcher is a very bad idea. If Im polarized here shoving is only a losing play compared to calling.
I'm folding when I dont have it (bluffing) and calling when I do. Not the sort of choice you want to present to your opponent.
Definitely -EV for V to shove here.

Yeah shoving with a bluff-catcher is a very bad idea. If Im polarized here shoving is only a losing play compared to calling.
I'm folding when I dont have it (bluffing) and calling when I do. Not the sort of choice you want to present to your opponent.
Definitely -EV for V to shove here.
Hard to know whether villain is bluffing or thinking he is "value" betting. If we assume he thinks he's bluffing, then it's a terrible hand choice since he blocks nothing except top set, which he can't credibly even rep.

Clicking buttons at it's finest.

Wanted to share this hand as I think it illustrates the concept pretty well.
This is from Ignition Zone 5NL. Anonymous 6-max so no reads or HUDs.
There are population tendencies that can be exploited though.
Just multi-tabling low stakes for fun so not capturing these hands in PT4 so the replayer is the Ignition replayer.

Hero and V are both deep. Hero is the effective stack with 274 BB. Folds to Hero in SB and Hero RFI with A8s. BB calls.

View attachment 893511

Flop favors the BB range but with a FD, Hero cbets 1/2 pot. V calls.

View attachment 893516

Hero makes the nut flush on the turn. Hero decides to X to protect his X range and also possibly induce. V X behind. :(

View attachment 893517

River is a blank so Hero overbets - this is polarizing: nuts or nothing and hopefully my turn X convinces V that I am on the nothing end of my range here.
Since V X back turn this could look like I am trying to steal the pot as it looks like V didnt make the flush.
I think this leverages my turn X to try and get called by a weaker hand here.

View attachment 893518

V obliges by jamming 300 BB!!

View attachment 893519

Hero snap calls and scoops. I think this is a good example of not playing in a straightforward manner. Most player who X this turn will not have made the flush, and certainly not the nut flush. Then we leverage this behavior to make it look like we are trying to steal the pot on the river after V X turn back. No we are lucky here IMHO that V had the K and thought it wise to jam, but I do think our overbet looks so fishy that it is likely to get calls from any made hand on this board. I wasnt hoping for or expecting a jam here, but that's Ignition!

View attachment 893520
Totally off-topic, but your tag says Boston. Isn't online gambling illegal in MA? I'm not trying to be high-and-mighty about it - I'd like to mess around on GG or Ignition, and understand VPN use well, but how do you withdraw money when you are in MA? I'd be afraid this would be found out by Ignition and they'd keep any money you've put in and any winnings as well.

After betting half on flop, I hate the turn check. Obviously, it worked out. I just generally am going for three streets of value here. I think villain can raise rivers as bluffs even if we bet turn and river here.

Totally off-topic, but your tag says Boston. Isn't online gambling illegal in MA? I'm not trying to be high-and-mighty about it - I'd like to mess around on GG or Ignition, and understand VPN use well, but how do you withdraw money when you are in MA? I'd be afraid this would be found out by Ignition and they'd keep any money you've put in and any winnings as well.
i dont use a vpn and dont have an issue. Ignition deals exclusively in BTC which may help.

After betting half on flop, I hate the turn check. Obviously, it worked out. I just generally am going for three streets of value here. I think villain can raise rivers as bluffs even if we bet turn and river here.
i think if we bet flop, turn and bet river we get a fold on river if not on turn. too strong IMHO.
Maybe a X on flop (which would be GTO) and then a river & turn bet could work.
But I think it really unlikely that we get a river raise without V holding the As after turn and river bets..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom