Profiles in Personality: Poker Hosts and Poker Players vs. the General Population (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
So I've noticed that most poker hosts have very similar approaches to life, and there a lot of similarities between people who play but do not host. What are some things about poker hosts and poker players compared to the general population - they aren't facts, but you're pretty sure they are true?

This is meant to be fun - and I'll get us started.

Poker hosts are more likely than the general population to:
- Settle small monetary disputes (like splitting a bar tab or restaurant bill) by throwing in more money
- Over-engineer the 'best' approach to something (house rules, points systems, etc.) and be very sure their solution is superior to all other solutions
- Attend what they say they are going to attend and take that very seriously
- Fantasize about events they might possibly hold and acquire items to prepare for said unscheduled/no prior precedent event - well outside of poker

Poker players are more likely than the general population to:
- Leave chip bags. water bottles, burger wrappers and other clearly trash items on a table while in clear view of a trash can
- Negotiate better prices on new and used cars
- Call their HOA to complain about a neighbor's property
- Send food back in a restaurant

Whatchu got?

Poker players are more likely to:
  • think they are better at poker than most other poker players (I mean, you kind of have to feel somewhat this way. Poker is war and I can't see a lot of players being successful or even enjoying themselves if they go in thinking they are clearly the worst player in the game.)
  • think they are better at reading people than others (I think a lot of poker players make bad reads yet think they are good at it)
  • berate a dealer (i.e. a person providing them a business service) for absolutely no reason
  • not care as much about money (especially what they would consider a small amount)
Poker hosts are more likely to:
  • think their solution to a game issue or problem is better than others
  • think their setup for hosting is better than others (especially their chips, and especially their custom chips)

My wife was just away for a girls weekend as a 50th birthday celebration for one of them from Friday to Sunday at another friend's lakehouse. I'll split them into your categories:

Poker hosts:
My wife: She cooked and took Friday's dinner for everyone (8 girls), 4 bottles of prosecco, 1 bottle of Grey Goose and an assortment of snacks.
Friend 1 (her house): 3 bottles of wine, all the decorations, cake, karaoke machine etc.
Friend 2: Goodie bags for all the girls with custom printed glasses, custom printed t-shirts and a few bottles of wine
Friend 3: 6ft long Charcuterie board with a massive selection of fancy cheese and meats
Birthday girl: 3 bottles of wine (even though she was told not to bring anything)

1621355589694.png

Poker players:
3 of the girls brought absolutely nothing nor did they pop out to the store to pick anything up. They just ate and drank everyone else's stuff and had a bloody good time.

My wife was just away for a girls weekend as a 50th birthday celebration for one of them from Friday to Sunday at another friend's lakehouse. I'll split them into your categories:

Poker hosts:
My wife: She cooked and took Friday's dinner for everyone (8 girls), 4 bottles of prosecco, 1 bottle of Grey Goose and an assortment of snacks.
Friend 1 (her house): 3 bottles of wine, all the decorations, cake, karaoke machine etc.
Friend 2: Goodie bags for all the girls with custom printed glasses, custom printed t-shirts and a few bottles of wine
Friend 3: 6ft long Charcuterie board with a massive selection of fancy cheese and meats
Birthday girl: 3 bottles of wine (even though she was told not to bring anything)

View attachment 701501

Poker players:
3 of the girls brought absolutely nothing nor did they pop out to the store to pick anything up. They just ate and drank everyone else's stuff and had a bloody good time.
Is that snacks for like 8 people? Lol

Is that snacks for like 8 people? Lol
I’m also worried there isn’t enough wine for the whole crew to get white wine wasted. There was a mention of grey goose so that’s a possibility for sustaining things.

Poker hosts:

View attachment 701501

Poker players:
Poker Player:
- More likely to go to the bathroom, not wash hands, touch something on the charcuuterie board and put it back, then select a single cracker and dip it into three separate dips, bite between each, to try all three and determine which they like best. Then take 4/5s of that dip.

Poker Hosts:
- When they're saying they're coming to a game, they always do

Poker Players:
- Say they're coming but don't turn up
- Cancel at the last minute

This is exactly what happened to me on Saturday - 6 players confirmed, all the ones that turned up have previously hosted games. The two that didn't have never hosted.

Poker hosts:

View attachment 701501

Poker players:
None of them may be able to poop for a week if they are that much cheese!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom