Presenting “Space Coast Poker Club” (1 Viewer)

djfayze

Flush
Reaction score
So I had no intention of making another set of chips for a long while…. Famous last words, right?

A bit of backstory. I already had 4 main cash sets that I rotated in and out of our weekly game and each one was fun and unique. However, in anticipation of traveling home to Utah in June after taking my medical boards exam, I was looking to create a new travel set of chips to play with all of my high school friends when I was in town. I stumbled onto a site clearancing out old spirit mold chips and decided that, combined with cheap Sticker Mule labels, I could create a half-decent clay set to take on the go. After receiving my order and having half the blues crumble (really only the blues - the white and yellow are rock solid), I started to panic. Did I mention I was taking this travel set from ordering and designing to conception in under a week? After a quick post on PCF @SeanGecko came through and offered to send me a couple of racks of his old Spirit Molds to fill in what I had lost. He saved the day, my travel set was finished, and I patted myself on the back.

However, the inanely cheap price of the spirit molds reeled me in - Sean still had a ton of available racks as did the site I ordered from. They were honestly the best-feeling China clays I had ever felt. Decently heavy, stack like bricks, sharp edges, that low clacky clay sound. Sure, the blues were super hit or miss and may crumble into dust spontaneously, but I knew if I had enough extras to weed out the weak ones I could create a decent set. So I set out to create a theme, ordered another 1000 chips, connected with my Sticker Mule rep again, and low and behold Space Coast Poker Club was born.

After getting racks on racks of chips from Sean, I was able to consolidate the best chips and survivors from the packaging to create a phenomenal quality set. I’ve been lucky enough to live in Orlando for the past 3 years and love all things space, so the theme of the chip set came pretty easily. I have to thank this forum for introducing me to and encouraging me to be proficient in Inkscape, as I was able to design the label myself and feel super happy with it. The pink, white, yellow, and red chips are super solid and sharp, and with over 100 extra blues tucked away I feel ready if we lose the occasional soldier. I LOVE the feel of these and am super impressed with the Sticker Mule label quality, responsiveness in communication, and turnaround time (submitted files and had precisely cut 28mm labels on my door in 5 days). Thanks to those that let me bounce label ideas and drafts off of them!

So without any further ado, the pron…

4EE6C4E7-0FA7-47C3-A171-377BC71F1079.jpeg

EC53511A-3E68-487D-8E49-950C65484BAD.jpeg

C66E43D4-1038-4A99-9C9E-C11FE7387A9F.jpeg
75C748B2-9BE5-45DB-8E52-EE9B44D9EF1D.jpeg

C4BCBE8B-A05B-41E8-AFEA-27403F0EA424.jpeg

45DB4BF8-5878-4629-A075-D48EAE4D3416.jpeg

87DA457E-49D7-43A7-ABF8-E0A8722A94D5.jpeg

07419842-E0DB-4B1B-9EDC-64D32DCB85C0.jpeg

A34E5595-C1AA-4FF3-A54C-F0673C94B056.jpeg

So I had no intention of making another set of chips for a long while…. Famous last words, right?

A bit of backstory. I already had 4 main cash sets that I rotated in and out of our weekly game and each one was fun and unique. However, in anticipation of traveling home to Utah in June after taking my medical boards exam, I was looking to create a new travel set of chips to play with all of my high school friends when I was in town. I stumbled onto a site clearancing out old spirit mold chips and decided that, combined with cheap Sticker Mule labels, I could create a half-decent clay set to take on the go. After receiving my order and having half the blues crumble (really only the blues - the white and yellow are rock solid), I started to panic. Did I mention I was taking this travel set from ordering and designing to conception in under a week? After a quick post on PCF @SeanGecko came through and offered to send me a couple of racks of his old Spirit Molds to fill in what I had lost. He saved the day, my travel set was finished, and I patted myself on the back.

However, the inanely cheap price of the spirit molds reeled me in - Sean still had a ton of available racks as did the site I ordered from. They were honestly the best-feeling China clays I had ever felt. Decently heavy, stack like bricks, sharp edges, that low clacky clay sound. Sure, the blues were super hit or miss and may crumble into dust spontaneously, but I knew if I had enough extras to weed out the weak ones I could create a decent set. So I set out to create a theme, ordered another 1000 chips, connected with my Sticker Mule rep again, and low and behold Space Coast Poker Club was born.

After getting racks on racks of chips from Sean, I was able to consolidate the best chips and survivors from the packaging to create a phenomenal quality set. I’ve been lucky enough to live in Orlando for the past 3 years and love all things space, so the theme of the chip set came pretty easily. I have to thank this forum for introducing me to and encouraging me to be proficient in Inkscape, as I was able to design the label myself and feel super happy with it. The pink, white, yellow, and red chips are super solid and sharp, and with over 100 extra blues tucked away I feel ready if we lose the occasional soldier. I LOVE the feel of these and am super impressed with the Sticker Mule label quality, responsiveness in communication, and turnaround time (submitted files and had precisely cut 28mm labels on my door in 5 days). Thanks to those that let me bounce label ideas and drafts off of them!

So without any further ado, the pron…

View attachment 954716
View attachment 954720
View attachment 954721View attachment 954705
View attachment 954717
View attachment 954719
View attachment 954718
View attachment 954722
View attachment 954723
My babies look soooo good in their new home. Well done!

Nicely done! I agree that the spirit molds feel, sound, and handle most like actual clay chips. Too bad about the hit-or-miss durability, but seems like you found a good workaround. Enjoy!

Nicely done! I agree that the spirit molds feel, sound, and handle most like actual clay chips. Too bad about the hit-or-miss durability, but seems like you found a good workaround. Enjoy!
Yes! Just having a fair number of backups for the blues should be enough, but I doubt I’ll even need to reach for those as much considering we play on a padded table over carpet. I think shipping and removing past labels were the biggest strain on the chips - normal play shouldn’t result in an excessive amount of breakage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom