Premier League Poker (1 Viewer)

naked_eskimo

Two Pair
Reaction score
I had a lot of time on my hands between Dec and March due to a 3 month medical leave from shoulder surgery. During which there was nothing to do due to my shoulder but also covid lockdowns. As such, I watched a lot of poker. I rewatched old stuff too, like Premier League Poker..all the seasons.

I was wondering if others enjoy that type of poker. Where the format plays a role in the strategy. It can lead to interesting situations where the points dictate how you play. Be it overly aggressive because you have nothing to lose (due to your high points standing), or super tight , etc. I don't mind it so much, but I tend to let the format just be a backdrop while I enjoy just watching the poker and pay little attention (or even understanding) to the format itself. I am also reminded of Poker Superstars series. One in particular where Gus Hansen went all in with pretty much every hand due to his standing in regards to the format.

One other thing that I realized while watching all of these older poker shows and the current crop of new stuff, is that I tend to enjoy watching the stuff from the 2000's more than new stuff being produced. It feels like there were more colorful personalities at the table. Watching Hellmuth have a hissy fit, etc. That stuff is entertaining.

The new crop of players like Koon, Berkey and many others are fantastic poker players, but TV poker seems more technical now and a bit more boring, or less entertaining, than previous years.

Isnt the old stuff more interesting because it was new and we grew up with it? I think thats also why i am stuck with the 90s hiphop. Although there is good new (er) stuff right now, fe. Doug polk and negreanu, or luke schwartz...

I agree, the older poker shows were much more interesting, or at least the people on the shows were more interesting.

Watching poker now mostly consists of watching 8 people who never say a word and take 3 minutes with every decision. Like watching paint dry.

I just noticed this series this week. I missed it during it's original airing.

There is a mixed game version of Premier League Poker. It's on the partypokerTV Youtube channel. So far, two episodes are available, but they seem to come out about every 3 -4 days.

There is not much of a mix--it's just NLHE, PLHE and PLO. It's from the same era as most of the Premier League poker series and features most of the same players like Tilly, TonyG, Sexton, etc

Pretty happy to have noticed this since I've never seen it before. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else might want to catch it that also may have missed it during it's original airing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom