Pre-1960's inspired black inlay set mockup (Rising Sun artwork added... feedback requested) (1 Viewer)

Shaggy

Full House
Reaction score
Hi All,
The design I am brewing has evolved somewhat. I’m ready to get some feedback. I haven't really begun concepting the inlay, but the Flamingo is reasonable for all intents and purposes (I feel)... it won't be Flamingo... or Hamingo... or anything with a bird... but it will black, white ring, white artwork with a single color highlight. The color will likely be salmon or orange.

Butterscotch = nickel or dime (probably hotstamp)
Lavender = 25c or 50c
Blue = $1
Gray = NCV for limit set... typically will be played as $1
Red = $5
Green = $25
Black = $100
Pink = $500 (not likely to be purchased... but wanted to have it in mind).

For some background, see these threads:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/vintage-flamingo-commemorative-set-possible-group-buy.19867/
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/vintage-black-inlay-chips.33205/

I tried to stay true to spots that were available in pre 1960. I deviated a little in the hundo.

risingsun_23-png.203879

Last edited:
I like the looks of this already!

I think the 212 on the $1 looks a little out of place for me within the set. A little too chunky for me perhaps.

On the $100 I wonder about the blurple getting lost in the black of the chip? What about something like the salmon colour you mentioned will be on the inlay.

Here are some of the preferred hundos mixed in to the set (option 1 is in the OP).
Option 2
RisingSun_21.png

Option 3
RisingSun_22.png

Option 4
RisingSun_24.png

Option 5
RisingSun_25.png

Option 6
RisingSun_26.png

I vote option 2 if youre looking for opinions. It is stunning

Edit: I meant option 2. Sorry I read poorly

Last edited:
A couple minor graphical issues identified:
1. The 50c chip includes both a decimal and a cent symbol. The decimal will be removed.
2. The denominations appear a little small.

Comments welcome.
RisingSun_2_5-chip_only.png
RS_5_DOL-01.png

Note:
1. The graphical misalignment of the salmon to the white is intended and will vary on different denominations.
2. The graphical misalignment of the white outer ring is intended and will vary on different denominations.

Also, thanks to @chipjoker for the artwork.

Last edited:
Nice! Have you considered 'rising the sun' as the denomination increases? i.e. a little sliver peaking over the mountains on the 5¢ up to a full sun showing on the $500?

Nice! Have you considered 'rising the sun' as the denomination increases? i.e. a little sliver peaking over the mountains on the 5¢ up to a full sun showing on the $500?

That is an interesting idea. I think a little too creative for the time period being emulated however.

Assuming this is a reference to The Animals song, I love that so much I can't even describe it. Although the inclusion of mountains in a New Orleans image throws me off a little bit.

Assuming this is a reference to The Animals song, I love that so much I can't even describe it. Although the inclusion of mountains in a New Orleans image throws me off a little bit.

Lol the highest point in New Orleans is considered Monkey Hill to most, and it’s like 22 ft above sea level or something like that.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a black inlay, Flamingo inspired set for a couple years. The Animals song came on the radio and I was picturing a 1930's opium den... viola... my illegal card room.

Lol the highest point in New Orleans is considered Monkey Hill to most, and it’s like 22 ft above sea level or something like that.

That's a great point. @chipjoker and I were discussing exactly that... the whole flooding and levee situation. Maybe we'll tone down the "mountain" and make it more of a hill. Maybe I can emulate "Monkey Hill." Is it in the East?

For the record, with a quick search I realized that the song was not original to The Animals, nor were they the first to record it. That was a little ahead of my time, and their version is the one I am familiar with. If the song is the inspiration, and if you aren't dead-set on the mountains graphic, you could get a stylized image of a traditional New Orleans house (I'm picturing columns and balcony) and instead of hotel it could be The Rising Sun Public House, or Boarding House, or Road House, to fit the lyric.

Man, that's a great song.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a black inlay, Flamingo inspired set for a couple years. The Animals song came on the radio and I was picturing a 1930's opium den... viola... my illegal card room.

That's a great point. @chipjoker and I were discussing exactly that... the whole flooding and levee situation. Maybe we'll tone down the "mountain" and make it more of a hill. Maybe I can emulate "Monkey Hill." Is it in the East?

It’s in the Zoo area. They created habitats and in the process created this “hill”. Way back in the public works era

Tweaking the NCV... pondering ideas instead of "Hotel." Don't want "poker." Thinking just "house," or "parlor." Any other ideas. Wanting something equivalent to "den" or "dive," but maybe with a French feel.

RS_NCV_6-01.png
RisingSun_2_NCV-chip_only_2.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom