Power Move: Limping AKs in UTG (2 Viewers)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
25NL fast fold on Ignition. No HUDs, no reads.

Villain decides to get tricky and limp AKs from UTG. Hero on BN with AQs kicks it up 5x to $1.25.

1617844397946.png

The trap is sprung! V 3 bets to $4.10. With an A blocking AA, position and a suited strong hand, Hero calls.

1617844466597.png

Hero just crushes the flop. Blocking AA, QQ, Hero is only concerned about KK and TT and has 10 clean outs against those hands (9 hearts - Kh = 8 hearts + 2 Q) so 40% equity against those 12 combos, well ahead of everything else. V checks, Hero jams. V calls. Bad math on the call for V ...

1617844540342.png

Hero holds and scoops.

1617844717225.png

Blocking AA, QQ, Hero is only concerned about KK and TT
You're only blocking half of the AA holdings when you have an Ace. Worth keeping in mind. There are still 3 AA combos and 1 QQ combo.

and has 10 clean outs against those hands (9 hearts - Kh = 8 hearts + 2 Q)
What's wrong with the Kh? You don't like having the nut flush with a royal draw?

so 40% equity against those 12 combos
There are 6 KK combos and 3 TT combos, so 9 total, not 12.

Sorry for being nit-picky, but you have quite a few miscalculations here for such a simple hand. I would try to focus on practicing counting combos if I were you.

Open jam for ~3x pot on flop? Why? You have the board nearly crushed. You got lucky that he called you with much worse here. But realistically, given the lines you both took, what calls this jam?
Agree. What is the logic behind shoving here?

Lol at villain’s call but I agree with previous posters, the shove is quite weird

To get called by worse hands in the spewy 25NL zoom pool. Especially with the limp three bet preflop. I think that someone playing that trap is calling with all his hands here. If he’s ahead with AA, KK or (unlikely given Preflop action) TT I have a lot of outs to improve. I’m ahead of AK and he only has 5 outs. So felt I was likely to be called by worse but have good equity to get there if called by better. Didn’t expect a fold given the Preflop action.

Someone called a 4 bet Preflop and then a jam on flop with 33 unimproved (I had AA and won) yesterday so I think they’re sticky!

To get called by worse hands in the spewy 25NL zoom pool. Especially with the limp three bet preflop. I think that someone playing that trap is calling with all his hands here. If he’s ahead with AA, KK or (unlikely given Preflop action) TT I have a lot of outs to improve. I’m ahead of AK and he only has 5 outs. So felt I was likely to be called by worse but have good equity to get there if called by better. Didn’t expect a fold given the Preflop action.
You named hands that all beat you currently. What worse hands are limp raising and calling a 3x pot shove on flop? Even at these stakes, it's not like that's a regular occurance.

Yes I was saying that I'm ahead of hands like AK that call but even if I am behind I have many outs to improve.
If he is taking this line and calling here with all AK, AA and KK I think there are 12 combos of AK vs 3 combos of AA and 6 combos of KK or 12:9 so better than a coin flip that were ahead and 11 outs to improve if we're not.

Again yesterday I opened UTG with AA and was 3! by BB. I 4bet 4x which he called. I jammed flop and he called with unimproved 33 with two outs, and lost. So given the odds that I am ahead and the spewy nature of the pool I jammed.

Yes I was saying that I'm ahead of hands like AK that call but even if I am behind I have many outs to improve.
If he is taking this line and calling here with all AK, AA and KK I think there are 12 combos of AK vs 3 combos of AA and 6 combos of KK or 12:9 so better than a coin flip that were ahead and 11 outs to improve if we're not.

Again yesterday I opened UTG with AA and was 3! by BB. I 4bet 4x which he called. I jammed flop and he called with unimproved 33 with two outs, and lost. So given the odds that I am ahead and the spewy nature of the pool I jammed.
You can't use things that happen infrequently to justify plays like this. And the 33 hand is quite different. You had AA so you didn't have to fear being called by better very often. And what were the stacks in that hand? Were they just as deep as this one? Shallower? What was the flop?

Of course you are going to get yahoos that call you light in these spots. But how often compared to how often they just fold? I just don't think this can possibly the maximally profitable line at anonymous tables, even at these stakes.

We can’t really expect AK to call this shove (even though villain happen to be bad enough this time). Check/call or check/raise seem like far better options to get money in ahead against a reasonable limp/3-betting range.

I'm pretty sure AK is the hand with which I have lost the most money. Someone with a lower kicker always make 2 pairs, or a flush comes in and this time villain does have it, or a straight. It's hard to fold. I hate it :p actually maybe hints on how to play AK properly would be nice :)

FYI. Solver likes anywhere from 1/3 pot - 1/2 pot bet when checked to on the flop. Jamming is definitely not GTO :)

Cool action and nice takedown! Sorry I see that lots of people are criticizing your play, however it seems like you had at least some reads on the player pool that you didn’t mention (they are likely to call you light).

I think lots of the criticism is due to the discrepancy between the reads you had in your mind and what you wrote down as justification.

for example - you mentioned that you shoved because lots of hands will call you, and then proceeded to name only
The hands that are beating you - thus describing “value-owning” yourself.

perhaps you should mention what weaker hands you think the player will call you (you were clearly thinking about these hands but didn’t write them down).

For example You could have said - “I was way ahead and I felt that my jamming could be a sign of weakness, and I could get many players to call me. They may have put me on a bare flush draw and called me with any lower Qx. Or perhaps my raise will be a sign of classic TPTK and my opponent is going to call with any flush or straight draw, thinking he will be good if he hits his draw. Therefore I am ahead of all those weak hands which are more likely to call.”

Anyways, good job taking down a big pot and managing to get max value from your opponent given the exact hand you had.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom