Potential man cave question (1 Viewer)

So this is the space I'm working with. As you can see, I can easily touch the ceiling. I met with my contractor again and for the whole renovation, expanding the ceiling space, knock out the storage space, add a wet bar, recessed lighting, new utilities, etc. I was quoted $90k. So yea, that'll be on the back burner for a while lol.View attachment 1111015
I guess this is why 2nd mortgages were invented.

But it does look like you have clearance everywhere except the red support beam.

I guess this is why 2nd mortgages were invented.

But it does look like you have clearance everywhere except the red support beam.
The red support beam is really the only issue (well, that and height clearance.) The HVAC vents can be moved closer to the walls.

I played a bunch of times in a game that was held in a low-ceilinged basement. Since we were sitting down 95% of the time, it wasn’t as bad as one might think… But it was a little claustrophobic.

And if I were using a space like that for other activities where you stand up more often, that would seem too low.

If you can swing it, I’d go for the floor-lowering idea. You would be creating a much more usable space and the cost will likely come back to you if you ever sell. I put a bunch of money (and lots of my own labor) into converting my raw, dirt-floored pole barn into a finished space, and it is a life-changer. Poker room, home theater, workspace, bar, dry storage… Huge improvement.

So I have the potential space for a future man cave/poker room. It is an unfinished basement. The problem with it is that the height of it is 6'4", and I'm 6'1", so you can already imagine that I'm ducking underneath exposed steel beams and HVAC vents/tubes. My question to those with man caves and have finished your own space, would this be feasible? I've had 3 contractors come in and 1 said that I can either insulate, drywall the walls and paint the beams above to have an industrial look to the basement (and just put a "watch your head" sign above the steps lol). The other two said that a complete finished basement would require cutting into the concrete floor 2-3ft. deep, putting new cement in and leveling the floor but at the cost of the house not being on level ground. I plan on removing the storage space, so I'll have a full 32'x36' basement.View attachment 1107459
Where on the map is the red support beam? I am wondering if it is "above" the stairs as shown on the map?

1680791442405.png

If it's where I have drawn it, maybe short term, you can just knock out the storage room and get a couple tables in the lower half of the room in a 12 x 32 space? (This also gives you the perfect out for avoiding the laundry machines :p, sorry hunny I am just too tall and pretty and you wouldn't want to find me knocked out on the basement floor one day, would you?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 72o
Word of caution with the 2 levels of your basement concrete slabs. Check for ledge/bedrock first. I have a similar situation where I have a 2’ higher/lower section of my basement. This is because half my house sits on ledge so they could only dig down so deep before calling it quits and just making the basement in that area with a lower ceiling height. It might not be possible to dig out that section (unless you want them to use dynamite lol).

527CBB92-CD68-4DA8-B243-4729D98F66DC.jpeg

In terms of the support beams, my basement contractor hid the beams by building walls where they were, to hide them in the design. My ceiling height was never and issue, but since you are digging the floor deeper, this may be an option to hide them a little better.

Word of caution with the 2 levels of your basement concrete slabs. Check for ledge/bedrock first. I have a similar situation where I have a 2’ higher/lower section of my basement. This is because half my house sits on ledge so they could only dig down so deep before calling it quits and just making the basement in that area with a lower ceiling height. It might not be possible to dig out that section (unless you want them to use dynamite lol).

View attachment 1113809
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting lowering half the basement. I was suggesting the basement may be workable at the current height with @SixSpeedFury never having to cross under the beam and can still get 2-3 tables (depending on size and shape) in the space on the side with the stairs by removing the storage room and leaving everything else alone.

Reactions: 72o
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting lowering half the basement. I was suggesting the basement may be workable at the current height with @SixSpeedFury never having to cross under the beam and can still get 2-3 tables (depending on size and shape) in the space on the side with the stairs by removing the storage room and leaving everything else alone.
Yes sir. Your suggestion may be the ONLY solution actually if they can't dig.

Yes sir. Your suggestion may be the ONLY solution actually if they can't dig.
Well I am getting this is some sort of split level house, so maybe raise the ceiling and rebuild the floor above it is a possibility :). But that's surely a six-figure undertaking.

Well I am getting this is some sort of split level house, so maybe raise the ceiling and rebuild the floor above it is a possibility :). But that's surely a six-figure undertaking.

House hunting once and saw a house that had a ballroom dancing floor on the second level. They had taken ceiling space from the lower floor to give them height on that floor. So the living spaces had 6.5 foot ceilings. They also had built an attached functioning observatory with the rotating dome in it.

We passed

House hunting once and saw a house that had a ballroom dancing floor on the second level. They had taken ceiling space from the lower floor to give them height on that floor. So the living spaces had 6.5 foot ceilings. They also had built an attached functioning observatory with the rotating dome in it.

What, no candlepin bowling alley?

We passed

Passed? Are you crazy, what a lost opportunity.

Right @Schmendr1ck

DC3FACC1-AA0B-40BB-81AD-BA66EA1A3363.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom