Pot Limit 5 Card Draw Tourney (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I'm playing in a 5 Card Draw Pot Limit League Tourney game on SAT. Max of 24 players.

I have only ever played 5 card Draw a few times. Never in a tourney format.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

B

Five starting cards mean you really need a big pair or better to leave the gate or 4 to an open end straight or four to a flush. Everyone calls with two pair, so get value when you luck into trips or better, butboay attention to when one card draws get interested after the draw, then play carefully.

It's a challenging game because watching draw patterns and betting patterns are how to read opponents.

7’s plus. Fold all lower pairs.
mix it up by holding pairs and drawing 2. (Looks like trips) works if they pay attention

There's a lot of bluff opportunities after the draw. Pick on the players who draw then check if they miss a lot. Look for check raising chances against aggressive players who like to cbet often. Cards are not as important as position. Punish limpers and weak passive play when on the button.

You should only be drawing 1 card the vast majority of the time. It will disguise all of your hands better.

If you have 4 to a straight or flush you would only draw 1, same with 2 pair. So when you have trips only draw 1 as well since you have the same chance to make a full house pairing the card you keep.

The only time to draw 2 is if you have a big single pair hand. But even then you could draw 1 to make 2 pair or trips to keep every possible hand in your range.

Lot’s of good advice above (except maybe @Perthmike)!
But I also think some of this advice applies to experienced five card draw players who are paying attention. From my experience in this tournament last year many people are just kind of winging it. I know I was guilty of worrying about my own hand so much that I had no idea what anyone else was drawing. Plus I was drunk, and probably will be again!

I heard Daniel Negreanu say that the only way that game is tolerable is if you play with the 4x4 rule - four cards to a straight or four cards to a flush beats a pair.

I heard Daniel Negreanu say that the only way that game is tolerable is if you play with the 4x4 rule - four cards to a straight or four cards to a flush beats a pair.

o_O
I like draw poker. To me, it seems like it really makes you “play the player” not the cards.

Five starting cards mean you really need a big pair or better to leave the gate or 4 to an open end straight or four to a flush. Everyone calls with two pair, so get value when you luck into trips or better, butboay attention to when one card draws get interested after the draw, then play carefully.

It's a challenging game because watching draw patterns and betting patterns are how to read opponents.
It always takes me a bit to get going in 5 card. It takes longer to get a read on the table and play is usually tighter. Fun change of pace though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom