Post one of a kind Barrels (1 Viewer)

I got these Monterey Club $3s almost entirely one at a time. Most of them came from a seller that lived a couple miles down the road from me at the time. The seller did not want to sell in bulk, nor did they want to sell through other channels, so for a little over three years from 2012-2015 I'd buy these chips as they'd show up on eBay. Towards the beginning of that timeframe, the seller would ship the chips bare in an envelope. Most of them made it fine, but every now and then I'd receive an empty envelope and the seller would just send another. It makes me sad that some of these chips wound up lost and likely destroyed in some mailroom somewhere. On the high end, I'd pay about $5 for a chip shipped, but they usually cost somewhere between $1-$2. Anything much over $5, and someone else would win the auction. The last auction I won for one of these was in 2015 for $1.04 shipped.

There were 2,000 of these chip produced, so I hope that there are other barrels or even racks out there. However, wherever they are, nobody is posting pictures and I don't see them changing hands, so I offer up my two barrels for this thread:

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

I got curious after seeing the latest bump on @liftapint's WTS-turned-WTB ad for Morro Club dimes, so I decided to take a look to see if the TRK order card had been uploaded to The ChipGuide. I wanted to get a feel for how many may be out there. I know that @gopherblue has (or at least had?) a rack as part of a TRK micro-stakes set, which I suspect is the same rack that @GenghisKhan sold. Mel has 60, and I have a rack and some spares. According to the order card, Paul Endy took in a phone order for 500 of the lavender dimes in 1954, although the card used to track orders only shows 400. So we know where almost 300 of the dimes are, which leaves roughly either 100 or 200 out there for Mel to track down. Not easy, but not impossible! But that's not why this post belongs in the one of a kind barrels thread.

In 2012, I was working on a micro-stakes mixed TRK California cardroom hotstamp set. That's when I bought the rack of dimes on eBay. The seller also had a listing for a barrel of $10 and a barrel of $20 chips from the same club. I didn't plan on duplicating cardrooms between denominations in my set, but tracking down anything denominated $5 or above was proving difficult, so I went ahead and bid on them. The seller also sold a handful of single $10 and $20 chips around the same time, although I'm not sure how many were sold in total. I'm pretty sure that I won a few of those auctions to serve as spares, although I only found one $10 with a quick look through some of my singles. The chips have been part of my mixed set since then, and I didn't give them much thought until seeing that order card this week. It turns out that in 1958 the Morro Club ordered just 50 each of the $10 and $20 chips. For some reason, they also reported to TRK in 1960 that several $5 (even though there's no record of $5 chips) and $10 chips were stolen. If any more than 10 of each of these denominations are in the hands of collectors as singles, then these barrels are most likely unique. It only took me 10.5 years to realize it. Here they are:

6mbrrU4.jpg

l3QAAzb.jpg

On a totally unrelated note, it looks like this will be post #250 for me, exactly eight years after joining PCF. I understand that some people like to do giveaways when they hit 10,000 posts. At the current rate, you can keep an eye out for my 10,000 post giveaway in roughly... 312 years ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6391.JPG
    IMG_6391.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 34
I got curious after seeing the latest bump on @liftapint's WTS-turned-WTB ad for Morro Club dimes, so I decided to take a look to see if the TRK order card had been uploaded to The ChipGuide. I wanted to get a feel for how many may be out there. I know that @gopherblue has (or at least had?) a rack as part of a TRK micro-stakes set, which I suspect is the same rack that @GenghisKhan sold. Mel has 60, and I have a rack and some spares. According to the order card, Paul Endy took in a phone order for 500 of the lavender dimes in 1954, although the card used to track orders only shows 400. So we know where almost 300 of the dimes are, which leaves roughly either 100 or 200 out there for Mel to track down. Not easy, but not impossible! But that's not why this post belongs in the one of a kind barrels thread.

In 2012, I was working on a micro-stakes mixed TRK California cardroom hotstamp set. That's when I bought the rack of dimes on eBay. The seller also had a listing for a barrel of $10 and a barrel of $20 chips from the same club. I didn't plan on duplicating cardrooms between denominations in my set, but tracking down anything denominated $5 or above was proving difficult, so I went ahead and bid on them. The seller also sold a handful of single $10 and $20 chips around the same time, although I'm not sure how many were sold in total. I'm pretty sure that I won a few of those auctions to serve as spares, although I only found one $10 with a quick look through some of my singles. The chips have been part of my mixed set since then, and I didn't give them much thought until seeing that order card this week. It turns out that in 1958 the Morro Club ordered just 50 each of the $10 and $20 chips. For some reason, they also reported to TRK in 1960 that several $5 (even though there's no record of $5 chips) and $10 chips were stolen. If any more than 10 of each of these denominations are in the hands of collectors as singles, then these barrels are most likely unique. It only took me 10.5 years to realize it. Here they are:

6mbrrU4.jpg

l3QAAzb.jpg

On a totally unrelated note, it looks like this will be post #250 for me, exactly eight years after joining PCF. I understand that some people like to do giveaways when they hit 10,000 posts. At the current rate, you can keep an eye out for my 10,000 post giveaway in roughly... 312 years ;)

How do you do that research? I’m wondering how many pix club concord ca chips are out there. I only have a barrel of $25s and $100s and can’t really seem to find any more. Also I only know of 1 $5 out there

How do you do that research? I’m wondering how many pix club concord ca chips are out there. I only have a barrel of $25s and $100s and can’t really seem to find any more. Also I only know of 1 $5 out there

Sometimes there are order cards uploaded on The ChipGuide, which may be found here:

http://chipguide.themogh.org/cg_home2.php

I haven't kept track of which order cards from which companies have made it into the hands of collectors, but according to @Jeff in Iowa the TR King order cards were purchased by David Sarles and @David Spragg and the MOGH has permission to upload images of the cards to The ChipGuide. I don't follow much outside of California, but many (if not most or all) TRK order cards for California cardrooms were uploaded in 2022. You can find the order cards for the Pix Club here:

http://chipguide.themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=CACOPC&v=1089674867

For the inlaid chips, it looks like only 100 each of the quarters and $100 chips were ordered. 200 each of the $5s, $25s, and each version of the $1 were ordered. Hopefully that means there are more out there that you will find someday, but I hope you weren't aiming for a full rack of $100s!

Sometimes there are order cards uploaded on The ChipGuide, which may be found here:

http://chipguide.themogh.org/cg_home2.php

I haven't kept track of which order cards from which companies have made it into the hands of collectors, but according to @Jeff in Iowa the TR King order cards were purchased by David Sarles and @David Spragg and the MOGH has permission to upload images of the cards to The ChipGuide. I don't follow much outside of California, but many (if not most or all) TRK order cards for California cardrooms were uploaded in 2022. You can find the order cards for the Pix Club here:

http://chipguide.themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=CACOPC&v=1089674867

For the inlaid chips, it looks like only 100 each of the quarters and $100 chips were ordered. 200 each of the $5s, $25s, and each version of the $1 were ordered. Hopefully that means there are more out there that you will find someday, but I hope you weren't aiming for a full rack of $100s!

Nah I’m looking for the $5s. Would like a rack but it’s not looking good. I can mill a solid scrown and make $1s

Most of the $25s are almost 12grams. The $100s are closer to 11grams

443977F5-5313-4753-9D68-0498075EA195.jpeg
BF54ACEE-C6BE-435D-BD29-CC702C2E4318.jpeg
EE559355-6346-4016-8FCC-356878ED465E.jpeg
AB0392CC-E0A9-44D5-B377-EC42435F4050.jpeg
D70A87C9-85BB-4A83-8640-489F29661BCF.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom