Post flop bet sizing , in Omaha High? (2 Viewers)

Caveatemptor

Sitting Out
Reaction score
What is the correct post flop bet sizing , if from the big blind, you flop a small straight, in Omaha High?
1/2 game

You need to provide more information like stack sizes, hole cards, board cards.

Also, by "small straight" do you mean the lower end of the straight (for example, the flop is 9TJ and you have 87xx in your hand?). If that is the case, in general you do not want to play this hand too aggressively. In general, PLO is a nut game where you should be looking to make the best hand possible or draw to the best hand possible. A lot of money can be lost in PLO when pushing with the second nut or lower straight or flush. It also depends on what other possible draws you have. For example, if you flop the bottom straight but you also have a nut flush draw or back door flush draws, then it does make your hand more playable.

'How much wood could a wood chuck, chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?'

There isn't an easy answer to this question or the one posed in the original post. How deep are the stacks? How dry is the board? Is the straight the current nut? Does hero have redraws? How many people are in the hand?

My default answer to this would be check/fold. Dummy straight, no redraws playing deep multiway. Flopped great but no future. Save your money.

Yeah, unless you're playing heads up, the answer is zero dollars.
Edit - yeah I don’t know what small straight means. I assumed you meant the idiot end of A straight.
if the flop is 2 3 4 rainbow and you’re holding a 5 and a 6, the answer is POT

Last edited:
Do you have additional redraws or paired any cards on the flop?

In talking poker hands, I always go back to the gold standard - elements of a poker hand - in Harrington vol 1. It applies to all poker, we need ALL of the information to give a good answer.

Yeah, unless you're playing heads up, the answer is zero dollars.
Edit - yeah I don’t know what small straight means. I assumed you meant the idiot end of A straight.
if the flop is 2 3 4 rainbow and you’re holding a 5 and a 6, the answer is POT
The flop was 374 rainbow, I held 56A9
And it was 1/2 NL Omaha
7 players most stacks around $60, mine and another's were $200+
The button straddles $5, everyone calls
I flop a straight and bet $25, get one caller holding a pair of 9s K ?
Turn is a K
River 9
He called my post flop bet with a pair in the hole

Much better information.

Hero holds the nut straight with a redraw to a bigger straight. Still no idea if hero has runner runner flush draws. Yes, they might matter if the stacks were deep. Not so much now.

The stacks range from ultra short to short. A $5 straddle with a seven way pot makes the preflop pot $35. five stacks are ~$60 and can be safely ignored. Not that the short stacks can't win the pot, but Hero isn't afraid because so much money is going in while holding the nuts.

Hero and one villain have $200 stacks - 40bb each preflop considering the straddle. Too short for fancy plays but there could be turn cards that give Hero a brief pause.

Pot flop, pot/jam turn. Expect variance but hero's equity should be huge.

Much better information.

Hero holds the nut straight with a redraw to a bigger straight. Still no idea if hero has runner runner flush draws. Yes, they might matter if the stacks were deep. Not so much now.

The stacks range from ultra short to short. A $5 straddle with a seven way pot makes the preflop pot $35. five stacks are ~$60 and can be safely ignored. Not that the short stacks can't win the pot, but Hero isn't afraid because so much money is going in while holding the nuts.

Hero and one villain have $200 stacks - 40bb each preflop considering the straddle. Too short for fancy plays but there could be turn cards that give Hero a brief pause.

What he said.

Damn $1-$2 PLO with $5 straddle and multiple players sitting with only $60 in front of them?

Also, by "small straight" do you mean the lower end of the straight (for example, the flop is 9TJ and you have 87xx in your hand?). If that is the case, in general you do not want to play this hand too aggressively. In general, PLO is a nut game where you should be looking to make the best hand possible or draw to the best hand possible. A lot of money can be lost in PLO when pushing with the second nut or lower straight or flush. It also depends on what other possible draws you have. For example, if you flop the bottom straight but you also have a nut flush draw or back door flush draws, then it does make your hand more playable.
And it was 1/2 NL Omaha
Turn is a K
River 9

Do you have additional redraws or paired any cards on the flop?
And it was 1/2 NL Omaha
Turn is a K
River 9

And it was 1/2 NL Omaha
Turn is a K
River 9

I thought the only correct answer is “POT MOTHERF***ER!”
And it was 1/2 NL Omaha
Turn is a K
River 9

Much better information.

I had no flush draw, villan went runner runner, K9.
I figured my $25 bet, into a $35 pot would discourage weaker hands.
I really didn't expect to be called by a pair of 9s, on such a low board.

I had no flush draw
'How much wood could a wood chuck, chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?'

There isn't an easy answer to this question or the one posed in the original post. How deep are the stacks? How dry is the board? Is the straight the current nut? Does hero have redraws? How many people are in the hand?

My default answer to this would be check/fold. Dummy straight, no redraws playing deep multiway. Flopped great but no future. Save your money.
Yeah you're right, flopped great but no future, especially in Omaha, I should have checked the turn.

I figured my $25 bet, into a $35 pot would discourage weaker hands.
I really didn't expect to be called by a pair of 9s,

I dont get it. you'd still win with that run out.
You're right, thinking back, I missed something.
I gotta start writing hands down, so I don't mistake/forget anything.
The only thing I can think of is that I might have mixed 2 separate hands.
Regardless, I didn't expect him to call the flop.
I should have pot it.
Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom