Poll: What Do You Do With Mint Paulson Poker Chips? (1 Viewer)

What Do You Do With Mint Poker Chips

• Absolutely nothing!

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Clean them by hand with just plain water

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Clean them by hand with water/soap

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Clean them with an US

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Oil the edges only

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Full oiling in water

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Swipe-and-wipe speed oiling

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Full compression oiling

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Some other oiling method not listed

• Some other cleaning method not listed

• Total voters

BearMetal

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
The setup is this:
  • You're under lockdown due to coronavirus and have nothing but time in the evenings
  • You've been on a buying spree and have received lots of mint THC and RHC Paulsons
  • You're never going to sell these - they are for enjoyment
  • Not hot stamps - inlays/labels only
I'm curious what people would do with them. I know that we're not going to playing in person anytime soon. But perhaps some people believe that oiling protects the chip. Maybe others says that's ridiculous and all they'd need is a good cleaning. And I'm sure there are those who would rather just leave em alone, dust and all.

I understand that there might be differences between RHC and THC based on vintage (like, leaded vs unleaded THC might have different answers). Since we're talking mint here, I would assume that means that it's only recently harvested RHC / THC.

Select up to 3 answers if necessary!

Let's not make this a "my way is better than yours" - I'm just curious. If you'd like to provide a rationale from experience, then that's totally cool.

Last edited:
Either nothing or I wipe the edges lightly with an already oiled cloth if the chips have literal dust on them from being in storage for over 20 years, as was the case with some mint CDI '98's that I acquired a few weeks ago.

I bring them out and mix them with various other sets, samples, etc to see if I can find chip combos that work better than what I currently have.

Also to take pics and post those pics on PCF :)

I post lots of pics of said chips for the rest of the community to enjoy.

As is our obligation as PCF members! However, do you clean them in any way? Oil them in any way?

I know some people collect chips for display, others buy them to keep and play with, and then there are those that know they are going to sell them.

As is our obligation as PCF members! However, do you clean them in any way? Oil them in any way?

I know some people collect chips for display, others buy them to keep and play with, and then there are those that know they are going to sell them.

If they are chalky new I will give them I wipe down on the rolling edge with a cloth and very light oiling as well in the rolling edge.

if not that new I won’t do anything but do a huge splash pot photo shoot the rack them up again.

These votes are not turning out the way I thought. So far, majority don't clean or oil their mint Paulsons. But I guess that's why I asked!

Doesn't "Mint" imply that they are not used - at all? Who would clean something like that? And why?

Mint chips can feel caulky and can be covered in factory dust. Also some people believe that oil helps to seal and protect the chips. And of course oil can make the colors pop.

If necessary, wipe off the dust with a damp cloth. Then admire them. Gaze on their sheer beauty. Put them in play and modestly revel in your players' accolades. Eventually, you can return them to the wild.

My thinking here is that as long as they’re mint, leave then that way. Because if you oil them, they’re no longer mint.
I buy chips to play with them, so if I was an oiler, I’d probably go ahead and oil them. But a lot of people will buy mint chips first, and figure out what to do with them later. If there’s a chance you’re reselling, leave them mint and leave the washing or oiling to your buyer.
And I recently I bought a mint set of Lady Lucks, with every intention of putting them into play. But I changed my mind, I’m selling them, so I’m glad I didn’t mess with them.

Oil, yes, I understand, but cleaning? No way.

If I oil them without cleaning, then a lot of dust comes off on the rag.

My thinking here is that as long as they’re mint, leave then that way. Because if you oil them, they’re no longer mint.

I don't even plan to let my chips back out in the wild. They are to be played with. That's why keeping them mint isn't for me.

... so right now the majority do nothing with their mint paulsons. I was really expecting it to be about a 35/35 split between nothing and a gentle cleaning to get rid of dust.

I picked clean by hand with soap and full compression oil. That way no matter how long this lock down lasts, day one of life as normal these chips are ready to go!

I picked clean by hand with soap and full compression oil. That way no matter how long this lock down lasts, day one of life as normal these chips are ready to go!

That was my original thinking. I've got so much time in the late evenings, why not make em look great? So that when I can finally play again, they'll all be ready to go.

Some I chose not to compression oil, but I still edge oiled every Corona chip that's arrived over the past 10 weeks.

So here are some mint RHC Horseshoe $5s. I gave them a quick bath, and then compression/edge oiling.

For 100 I probably used about 10 drops of oil.. maybe 1/10th of a capful total. Are the results good? Are they worth it? I like how they turned out, but so many people say to leave them alone in the poll.

In the pictures, they look the same.
I imagine there's some kind of noticeable difference in person.
I've never been a fan of oiling, but I've definitely noticed that some older, used, cleaned, dried up chips really need it. But mint? Do it if you want, I guess.

I've never been a fan of oiling, but I've definitely noticed that some older, used, cleaned, dried up chips really need it. But mint? Do it if you want, I guess.

I think you can see some better color consistency in the oiled chips, while the unoiled ones are almost chaulky.

But you're right, we'll all do what we want. The poll results are what I'm interested in. Fascinating to see the heavy lean toward doing nothing.

I think you can see some better color consistency in the oiled chips, while the unoiled ones are almost chaulky.

But you're right, we'll all do what we want. The poll results are what I'm interested in. Fascinating to see the heavy lean toward doing nothing.
Because mint paulsons are perfection! If you think you can improve upon perfection, have at it.

I notice a big difference. I would oil them. Unlikely that I will have to worry about that though.

First I clean the factory dust.
2nd I oil all the chip...why I oil all the chip ?
Because some colors came out better with oil and when the chip is too much chalky he have a risk of break a little piece of clay.

Once you oil mint Paulson poker chips.

guess what....

THEY ARE NO LONGER MINT PAULSON POKER CHIPS.

Once you oil mint Paulson poker chips.

guess what....

THEY ARE NO LONGER MINT PAULSON POKER CHIPS.

Once they hit felt they are no longer mint either. As stated in my OP, I am in this to play with them. Not reselling.

Once they hit felt they are no longer mint either. As stated in my OP, I am in this to play with them. Not reselling.

I agree with playing with them, enjoying them. I'd do the same.

I just think oiling them reduces their 'natural' beauty. If thats a thing LOL

I just think oiling them reduces their 'natural' beauty.

Sure, a valid point. That's why I started this poll. Just wanted to see what people thought. Some argue that oiling actually protects the chip

I just think oiling them reduces their 'natural' beauty. If thats a thing LOL
Sure, a valid point. That's why I started this poll. Just wanted to see what people thought. Some argue that oiling actually protects the chip
I thought you guys (I love my ceramics so I have no hands on experience) oiled chips was so the oil filled the pours of the materials in the chip, making future cleaning of the chips a lot easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom