Votes: 38 77.6%
  • Not Raised

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ghoti

Flush
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a thread on this but I couldn't find it, so...

What do you guys prefer? I'm having a table built and have never played on a raised rail, so really don't have a basis for comparison. Please help me out. Thanks.

Ok. Yeah from an aesthetic point of view I agree, they do look better. I don't care much about the price, but I do care about the feel.

Yep I started that thread @Irish linked to when I was looking to build something new.
I would not go back to a non-raised rail table.

Raised looks better, but I like the ergonomics of a non raised rail better. It's more comfortable to me.

3/4” raised rail. Looks pissah and functions beautifully.

Yes for raised. Better looking. As a dealer it prevents cards (and chips) from ending up on floor.

I play regularly on 3 different tables: un-raised, 3/4" raised, and 1 1/2" raised.
Easy choice. I prefer the raised ones EVERY TIME, ESPECIALLY if I have a lot of chips in front of me. Angle of forearms resting and chip shuffling so much more comfortable sitting for long hours.

The key is to have the right chair at the right height, along with allowance for feet planted at correct height as well. Most raised tables are simply too high (mainly the base) relative to seat and foot rest height. So it's important to be sure the table base isn't too high depending on the chairs you're intending to use.
Also, we always have a dedicated/volunteer dealer with a curved dealer cut out area (area without rail) at our games, so the dealer is comfortable dealing for long hours. If we only self-dealt, the higher raised rails are obviously less comfortable and not ideal.

The other good thing about raised rail tables is that you can install the deeper 2-stage "marine" cup holders (much better than the standard jumbo 2-stage) since the extra height allows it.

Having said that, I've also played on tables that have much higher rails.. 3"+ ... TOO high IMO, which isn't comfortable either. I like the 3/4"-1 1/2" raised height. And as others have already mentioned, raised rail tables look so much nicer and puts me in a seriously fun playing mood! :tup:

Last edited:
For sure, Chanman knocked it out of the park - does amazing work
Wish I lived a bit closer to Chanman... What power source are you using for the lights? I don't want to have a cord running across the floor.

Raised. How high depends on what you use the table for (if anything besides poker).

Curious about you're referring to here - other games or things completely unrelated to gambling/games? My group plays alot of baccarat and some blackjack. Can't see how the rail might affect that.

Wish I lived a bit closer to Chanman... What power source are you using for the lights? I don't want to have a cord running across the floor.

I believe having a battery built into the table is an option. Not sure how long the exact battery life is but I have been assured it should be enough for even a 6 hour long session.

There’s a large batter that mounts to the bottom and plugs into the bottom of the table. Take the battery out when it starts dying and plug it into the the wall to recharge. The wood mount is the same as the base of the table so it doesn’t look weird or out of place.

There’s a large batter that mounts to the bottom and plugs into the bottom of the table. Take the battery out when it starts dying and plug it into the the wall to recharge. The wood mount is the same as the base of the table so it doesn’t look weird or out of place.
Sweet, thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and/or voting. Looks like a raised rail it is! I'll post pics when I get it.

Can someone with a 3/4" raised rail measure the distance from the felt to the top of the rail for me?

Can someone with a 3/4" raised rail measure the distance from the felt to the top of the rail for me?
I can when I get home, but I just got to work so it will be about 9 hours from now. I'll check back in and get back to you if no one else has. I bet it's pretty close to 2-1/4" (3/4" ply for the raised rail + 3/4" ply for top rail + 1" foam).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom