Poll:Do you buy 25c or 50c for your cash set? (1 Viewer)

Do you buy 25c or 50c for your 0.5/1 cash set?

• 25cent

Votes: 106 75.7%
  • 50cent

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • 25cent and 50cent

Votes: 18 12.9%

• Total voters

LeLe

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
25c and 50c have always been blind chip for most 0.25/0.5/1 NLH game.

If you are building for a cash set and your regular game is 0.5/1 and 0.5/0.5;

Will you still prefer to only buy 50c chip for your blind chip or 25c chip for your blind chip ?

Like to know how the PCF prefer ? I myself at first bought 100 25c as part of my set for 0.5/1 game but end up buying additional 50c chip to use instead

25c for me. More flexible. Usually play .25/.50. I have a few sets with .50 instead of .25 and it doesn't work as well, we don't like .50/.50. I wouldn't ever have both on the table, slows down the game. If the smallest you will ever play is .50/1 then .50 is fine, but it's inefficient and I would limit the number of them on the table to limit slowing down the game.

We‘re always playing 0.50/1 and all players including me prefer to go with 50c chips only. As most preflop raises are 3+ BB, no real need for quarters. Sometimes players mistake quarters for 50c chips, but that‘s maybe because we‘re not used to quarters as our swiss coins are 5c/10c/20c/50c/1/2/5

It really depends on the rest of the set. For a standard 1/5/25 set a quarter makes sense. For .50 to work good you need a set of 2/10/50.

We‘re always playing 0.50/1 and all players including me prefer to go with 50c chips only. As most preflop raises are 3+ BB, no real need for quarters. Sometimes players mistake quarters for 50c chips, but that‘s maybe because we‘re not used to quarters as our swiss coins are 5c/10c/20c/50c/1/2/5
Jeez, that’s a lot of denoms. The Swiss government should’ve run their breakdown by @BGinGA before finalizing

Singapore don’t have quarter too we only have 5c/10c/20c/50c/$1

I have sets with .25 chips and I have a set with .50 chips.

We play mostly .50/1 these days (occasionally .25/.50). .50 chips are more efficient, but with .25 chips there's obviously more chips in play, and I mean, who doesn't like that?? Quarters do also offer more flexibility as well. In the end, I can't say I have a strong preference for one option over the other, though I ordered quarters with my recent CPC set, so take that for what it's worth.

Usually I find if you start with a nickel or a quarter, you get more exciting games than if you start with a 50c/$1 game. Besides that, I don't ever want to play a game with stakes that are too high.

So 25c fracs are way better. :)

The others covered it pretty well, but I'll add anyway. Quarters for the efficiency of any future lower blind games. However, its YOUR game and if 50/1 is your lowest, then halfs make a lot more sense. They are only there for blinds and the $1/$5 are your main chips anyway.

I think it's fine to have both for flexibility. And you know, more chips!

But l hope people don't table both a 25¢ and a 50¢ during the same game. 2 fracs in the same game is just cumbersome.

I prefer .50. The game I play evolved into a 1:2 game that plays like a .50:1 game. Nobody wanted to deal with change during cash out.

At first I didn't like it. But I've begun to realize that it has saved me a fortune not having to acquire fracs. :)

Were it the option I'd order 25cent pieces over 50cent pieces if I was building a set. In both my CPC custom and cards mold sets I went with 25cent chips over the 50's. Still I have 50cent chips in sets mainly because of what was available at the time when I ordered the sets. A big crazy horse set I have has 50cent chips because I couldn't order 25cent chips at the time I got them. One thing is for sure, 100-200 max of either is all you need depending on the size of your game. It really depends on the stakes your group and yourself are willing to play, for what chips you have in use. Its good to have options

It really depends on the rest of the set. For a standard 1/5/25 set a quarter makes sense. For .50 to work good you need a set of 2/10/50.
Hey!! I'm curious about why this would be the case. Not disagreeing, just wondering what I'm missing.

We primarily play .50 / $1 (sometimes plays like a $1 / $2 or $3/$5 game) with the following denoms:

.50 × 100
$1 x 200 (300 sometimes)
$5 x 300
$25 x 100
$100 x 5 to 20.

Even when I have quarters in play, I use them as .50s because my peeps are used to .50s.

Thanks!

Anyone else scratching their head on this one... I have played at many poker tables with $.50 and $1 chips. I agree with the standard 4/5 value inscrease structure that would be correct, but absolutely not necessary. $.50 and $1 chips work well together, from an efficiency stand point I agree. I actually would like to build a $.50/$2/$10/$50 set some day but definitely not very common at all.

I do own a T25/T100/T500/T2000 set and I like that structure, not because it is more efficient(it is but not by much!) but because I like that its weird and makes players think, you get used to it pretty quick but it is weird and offputting that first time!! Lol

Back to the OP, I have played in a $.50/$1 game with quarters and I was not a fan of two chip small blinds, normally I say more is better but it felt like a filler and was not the right chip for the job. Usually we play $.25/$.50 so obviously I love quarters... and if only building one set to cover both I would go with quarters. But if you have the option and it's in the budget, I would buy both personally.

Fellow Chipper Ben

I'd say .25c because you can always play .50c/$1 with quarters but you can't play .25c/50c with .50c.

Of course somebody is going to say but you can use the .50c as quarters....... :rolleyes: In that case why even have denoms on chips then, just use a ND for whatever frac you need..

I'd say .25c because you can always play .50c/$1 with quarters but you can't play .25c/50c with .50c.

Of course somebody is going to say but you can use the .50c as quarters....... :rolleyes: In that case why even have denoms on chips then, just use a ND for whatever frac you need..
100% this ^^^^ either use them as the value onthe chip or get Non denominated chips!! Its all fun and games in a home game... who cares! There is always one person there with my level of OCD that is boiling about this decision and ready to snap at any point!! Lmao

I like quarters because I'm cheap. .25/.50 is clearly a low stakes game. .50/1 is the same as $1/1, which is the same as $1/2, which is to say they're all too damn expensive for my tastes.

UNACCEPTIBLE!
I have played in this game at Kevin's and we played $.50/$1 using quarters but their value was $.25, it was just 2 chips for the SB instead of 1. The set was BCC Samurai's which so not have a $.50 (freaking love those chips BTW)
Screenshot_20200804-093844_Samsung Internet.jpg

My cash out that night and started with $20! The quarters are gray.

We did run a hybrid tourney one time where we used quarters as $.50 though, it wasn't cash so my OCD was alright. Lol

If I am playing 50c/$1 I would rather have 50c chips, I don't care about the 4 to 5 times the next denomination rule for this part of the set similar to how we ignore this rule in our tournament sets with 500 and 1000. I just like the small blind being one chip. If I were to play 25c/25c, 25c/50c, and 50c/$1 I would probably prefer to have both 25c chips and 50c chips in my set. The 25c chips for the first two games, and the 50c chips for the 3rd (never on the table at the same time though, for some reason that makes less sense to me than 50c and $1 chips being on the table together).

We run 25c/50c for over 10 years and no one has died.

25c/50c/$1, coloring up to $5, $10 (rare), sometimes $5 plaques for fun.

to keep 25c to a minimum, we take one 25c pre-flop and place it in the high hand rack.

And, now sit down, when using my Terribles, I’m thinking of adding my $2 Jacks into a 2nd or 3rd rebuy.

Isn’t the goal to get as much color on the table as possible?!?!

I have played in this game at Kevin's and we played $.50/$1 using quarters but their value was $.25, it was just 2 chips for the SB instead of 1. The set was BCC Samurai's which so not have a $.50 (freaking love those chips BTW)
View attachment 667334
My cash out that night and started with $20! The quarters are gray.

We did run a hybrid tourney one time where we used quarters as $.50 though, it wasn't cash so my OCD was alright. Lol
This was literally the first and only time I used .25s as actual .25s. For years I only had 1 rack of .25s, and then last year I finally picked up a second rack to play them as they were intended. I hated it and was so confused all night long. And I'm sure that the Fireball didn't make it any easier...LOL!!

And yes @upNdown you are correct, .50 / $1 plays more like $1 / $2. But fracs are AWESOME!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom