PokerStars Scams Gordon Vayo out of $700,000 (1 Viewer)

Make no mistake, they do these bullshit investigations regularly for anyone trying to cash out, at least asking for ID documents, utility bills and the likes again. And not just P*. An attempt to pursue the masses to keep their bankrolls on the site and keep playing, rather than cashing out? Probably.

But this here... I think it's two-fold. Reads for me like the guy pressed his luck and played from the US via VPN, believing presenting his second residence in Canada would be enough to have everything look okay on paper for everyone. P* would be out of any potential legal trouble; P* would be happy to have another player on their site generating revenue, he would be happy being able to play poker online, win-win?

But P* asking for fucking proof that he was physically in Canada while the tournament was ongoing... how the hell are you supposed to prove that retrospectively? Present his neighbors as witnesses? Wtf.

Is PokerStars, the by far largest poker site in existence, really that desperate to risk incredibly bad publicity (less players, less revenue!!) just for a shot at bolstering their profits a bit by scamming a player out of his rightfully won money?

Sad times.

Make no mistake, they do these bullshit investigations regularly for anyone trying to cash out, at least asking for ID documents, utility bills and the likes again. And not just P*. An attempt to pursue the masses to keep their bankrolls on the site and keep playing, rather than cashing out? Probably.

But this here... I think it's two-fold. Reads for me like the guy pressed his luck and played from the US via VPN, believing presenting his second residence in Canada would be enough to have everything look okay on paper for everyone. P* would be out of any potential legal trouble; P* would be happy to have another player on their site generating revenue, he would be happy being able to play poker online, win-win?

But P* asking for fucking proof that he was physically in Canada while the tournament was ongoing... how the hell are you supposed to prove that retrospectively? Present his neighbors as witnesses? Wtf.

Is PokerStars, the by far largest poker site in existence, really that desperate to risk incredibly bad publicity (less players, less revenue!!) just for a shot at bolstering their profits a bit by scamming a player out of his rightfully won money?

Sad times.
Show them your bank account transactions should be easy enough.

I play on Pokerstars , when I got my first big cash I needed to scan Drivers License and give them real info about me. I think that is just part of the game to know who is getting paid....

They are requesting this info from you already when you sign up. You can start playing immediately but if you don't give them the info they will freeze your account after a while. Same thing on 888.

Dude was obviously in the US. It would be incredibly easy to prove you were physically in Canada at the time of the win. You have to go through Customs, even with NEXUS there is documentation that is obtainable. You have to buy stuff... His bank account should be able to show this activity. Does it suck to go to the hassle of doing that? Yes. Is it worth $700K to do so? Hell yes.

It boils down to that he was in the US, violating TOS... It's shitty, but the site now has to defend this aggressively to maintain their "We're all about playing by the rules" when it comes to keeping out of the US if they ever hope to get back in.

Dude was obviously in the US.

Was he tho?

60. Defendant made this assertion despite the fact that Defendant itself did not even allege that there were any out of jurisdiction logins to Mr. Vayo’s account during the SCOOP tournament, and despite the fact that Mr. Vayo had submitted uncontroverted evidence – which Defendant did not contest – that he was in fact in Canada on the first two days of the SCOOP tournament, on May 20 and 21, and it would have been virtually impossible (not to mention inexplicable) for him to travel to the U.S. in the middle of an active, intensive, major tournament that required nearly around-the-clock play and focus, leaving time for only brief periods of rest and nourishment.

Lawsuit is only one side, but it is a pretty good one as far as I can tell. Pokerstars should release the 700k, add 20% to it and lawyer fees, then clean up their ToS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom