Pokersharktables Octagon Table Review (1 Viewer)

fiveaces

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all-

Just received this table from pokersharktables.com and wanted to give you my initial thoughts. This table gets good reviews on Amazon and I couldn't seem to find many quality options in this price range. Note that I have not played on it yet. The dimensions are 48"x48"x30" and I paid $329 plus $69 shipping. Steve, who I presume is a one man operation was nice and responsive to e-mail.

Rail-
For the price, I think the vinyl rail is pretty nice. It extends over the edge of the playing surface like a lip to give you something nice to lean on. The stitching and seams on the vinyl are good. Cupholders are standard size, and are too small for my scotch glasses :( For those of you who are near PA, Steve can build you a custom table, bigger cupholders would require a bigger table, and this size is the biggest he can ship.

Legs-
Two sets of folding legs hold the table up steady, but they are hard to fold in. The handles on the legs are bare metal and are a little on the sharp side and uncomfortable to grab when setting up or taking down.

Playing surface-
This is my first time experiencing speed cloth, and honestly I'm not a big fan. It feels quite rough to the touch and makes a lot of noise. There is a lot of soft cushion under the speed cloth for those of you who like that. I am guessing that there is 1/2" foam beneath, because the table was secured during shipping by scraps of raw materials, including some 1/2" foam. I put a scrap of speed cloth on top of the scrap of foam and it felt about the same as the table. Underneath the foam is 3/4" plywood.

I have ordered some samples of Velveteen and other foams from YAT and depending on how I like those materials, I may end up swapping the speed cloth out. I know that speed cloth makes it easier to deal cards, but on a table this size, I don't think it will make a big difference. Good thing is, the rail is secured to the table with phillips screws, and I believe all I would need to swap the cloth out is a screwdriver and a staple gun.

All in all I would say this table is a good value for the money. Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about it!
IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2662.jpg IMG_2664.jpg

The materials are probably about $200 for this table and the guy has to make some money. $75 for shipping a 50lb 5x5 box from PA to CA seems fair. I have a 500sf apartment with no tools so to me this is a fair value. Maybe not a steal but as someone who isn't that handy I am satisfied with what I got for the price.

Have you played on it yet? I built two 4 ft octagons and I have NEVER been able to get eight players around it comfortably. On the rare occasion that I use one now, I sit no more than six players at it.

Having said that, if you're looking for different playing surfaces, check fabric stores. Joann, Hancock, places like that. On their clearance racks, you can find a variety of materials for $2-3/yard. You only need 1.5 or 2 if they won't sell you halves. (None of them will be good for sliding cards, but at 4ft across, it hardly matters.) Also, you can get headliner foam to try it under the playing surface for pretty cheap. Some of the crazier colors are often on sale, and we don't care what color it is.

Good luck with the table.

Thanks for the review fiveces. I've been looking at these for a while now. The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, with the caveat that the 48" size makes playing with a 8 very (too?) cozy as the poster above notes. Still I haven't come across anything in this size/quality/price nexus. It's either 74"+ ovals, over priced 1/2" thick plywood rounds, or you have to jump to the high quality/high expense level for round/octos. I'd pay a little more for a slightly bigger (52") version of this (though I'd prefer round). Let us know how it goes once you put it in play.

I did contact these folks directly but IIRC they do a bigger table just not a Octo like this and they don't do round.

I have a 500sf apartment with no tools so to me this is a fair value.

I feel you. I live in a 1915 row house in DC. Now I do have a bit more space than you, but still one tries to get the biggest table possible to fit into the small space we have.

He does make these too:

http://www.pokersharktables.com/images/CIMG1189.JPG

Last edited:
Hey fiveaces! Thanks for your review!

I also have one of those PokerShark tables... It's actually just like yours with the platinum ssp... I use it as an overflow table for some of my games...

I wanted to add one comment if you don't mind: I believe they could have used a thicker and sturdier plywood (or MDF or OSBP, whatever they used). The two sides which are not supported by the legs bend quite a lot when players rest their arms on it... With a bit more investment on the wood they would have a much better table for not a lot more money...

Have you played on it yet? I built two 4 ft octagons and I have NEVER been able to get eight players around it comfortably. On the rare occasion that I use one now, I sit no more than six players at it.

Having said that, if you're looking for different playing surfaces, check fabric stores. Joann, Hancock, places like that. On their clearance racks, you can find a variety of materials for $2-3/yard. You only need 1.5 or 2 if they won't sell you halves. (None of them will be good for sliding cards, but at 4ft across, it hardly matters.) Also, you can get headliner foam to try it under the playing surface for pretty cheap. Some of the crazier colors are often on sale, and we don't care what color it is.

Good luck with the table.

I have not yet played on it but I was dealing myself some hands to see how the speed cloth felt and it definitely feels a bit small, even with only myself sitting at the table. From the dealers position, once you deal the flop out there's no room To the left or right for the pot. The only place it seems like it will fit is either above or below the community cards, both of which aren't convenient. Thanks for the fabric tip.

Thanks for the review fiveces. I've been looking at these for a while now. The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, with the caveat that the 48" size makes playing with a 8 very (too?) cozy as the poster above notes. Still I haven't come across anything in this size/quality/price nexus. It's either 74"+ ovals, over priced 1/2" thick plywood rounds, or you have to jump to the high quality/high expense level for round/octos. I'd pay a little more for a slightly bigger (52") version of this (though I'd prefer round). Let us know how it goes once you put it in play.

I did contact these folks directly but IIRC they do a bigger table just not a Octo like this and they don't do round.

I feel you. I live in a 1915 row house in DC. Now I do have a bit more space than you, but still one tries to get the biggest table possible to fit into the small space we have.

He does make these too:

http://www.pokersharktables.com/images/CIMG1189.JPG

When I spoke to Steve, he said he does make bigger tables but this was the biggest thing he could ship to me.

Picked this up yesterday for $75! The guy I bought it from didn't know if it was a proper Pokershark table, but I've not seen anyone else making this style. It is built incredibly solid for a folding table. I do see the criticism that it would be small with all 8 players packed in, when I rest my arms they naturally go just outside the seam for the section I'm sat at. That said I think it's extremely workable. Personally I think the price these are going for new is completely fair, though for those who are patient I've seen a couple of these come up in the past few months at/under $200 used (in varying conditions).

Attachments

• IMG_0736[1].JPG
    IMG_0736[1].JPG
    149 KB · Views: 366
Looks like a very solidly-built table, MFC -- and a steal at $75! Nice pickup.

I think both of those tabkes are a steal. Obviously the 75 a bigger steal but all in all if the tables are solid and made of good vynyl with ssc, they are very fair prices.
I've made a few octogon before and at 48" across they are tight with 8 guys. But they are great for a 4 to 6 handed game.
Thanks for the review.

I also have one of these. Legs are shipped separately and could be a little more sturdy, but keep in mind this is already a HUGE package to have shipped to your door. I like mine. Here's a not so good photo with new, un-oiled majestics still covered in factory dust. I'll take better ones if anyone wants.

Attachments

• 20190517_083719.jpg
    20190517_083719.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 259

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom